British
14 years ago
http://packersnews.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6070 

This suggests that the problem isn't in where we're drafting offensive lineman.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
Good point. I'm glad somebody looked up that info. Thompson has not neglected the O-line in the draft, as some have claimed.

However, I disagree with the author's conclusion that Ted Thompson can't be blamed for the O-line problems. Draft position is one thing. The quality of the players is another. And that's in doubt right now.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
It is hard to watch the Oline, because we were spoiled for a number of years. But them lines were not just built overnight.

Wahle was a 2nd round pick as a Tackle that didn't become a consistent starter until his 4th year and at Guard. Rivera was a 6th round pick That took a year to mature. Clifton 2nd and Tauscher 6th were both Rookies that got thrown into the fire and Flannagan was a 3rd round pick that didn't become the starter until his 4th year.

There is no magic formula for getting a line to play, some of the best players we had, didn't fit with those around them. When the pieces finally fit, it was a sight to be seen. But even in 2000, neither Clifton or Tauscher were day 1 starters. They got in because of injury and they were the final piece to one of the best lines I have seen play for the Packers.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Everyone needs to read that thread. There are some dynamite posts there. Here is one of the most enlightening:

Yes I know it takes time to do this. I have done a little research on this, so to speak. Two years ago, on a forum far far away, I would argue with posters who thought that our o-line totally sucked and that Thompson had ample time to put together a great line. Although there main contention was for Thompson to just sign some experienced FA's and all our problems are solved. Never mind Thompson went this route in 2005 and it didn't work.

They thought that the line from 2000 to 2004 was the greatest thing since sliced cheese and that they were put together and gelled right a way. I would continually point out that Rivera and Flanagan were 5 yr vets in the 2000 season, Wahle was entering his 3rd season and was pretty terrible his first two years. Of course Clifton and Tauscher were rookies that year but they got a ton of work. In 2000 Green rushed for 1,175. In 2001 he rushed for 1,387; in 2002 he had 1,240. In these 3 years there was virtually nobody with rushing yds. behind Green. One year the next highest was 283, one year the next was 175. So things were not as hunky dory as everyone says it was in those days.

That line did finally his the jackpot in the 2003 season. Finally in their 4th full year together did they put it together and had a monster year rushing the ball. It took 4 years to become a pretty dominant line, from the rushing perspective.

To compare with the crappy lines Thompson has put together Green rushed for 1,059 in 2006, Grant tore it up in 2007 and had 1,203 last year.

BTW, the year after Green's super 2003 rushing season he had 1,163 in 2004 and najeh had 359 in 2004. That great line, rush wise, dominated only one year. They could pass block pretty well but so did the 2007 and 2008 line.

"Jim T" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I hate to say this, but I don't think that it is crucial to draft guys in the first round and have them develop into quality offensive lineman.

Let me rattle some names off from the last decade or so...

Frank Winters
Adam Timmerman
Marco Rivera
Mark Tauscher
Mike Flannigan

There are some high quality lineman in that group.. and none were drafted highly by the Packers.

In comparison, I think this is a group where players can be molded more so than any other group on the football field.. it takes special coaches to mold them though as a functioning unit.

The basics are vital but so is the communication amongst them.. something I see missing on today's squad.. developed lineman.

Boy I miss the days of Beightol... that guy could flat out develop a line..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago

I hate to say this, but I don't think that it is crucial to draft guys in the first round and have them develop into quality offensive lineman.

Frank Winters
Adam Timmerman
Marco Rivera
Mark Tauscher
Mike Flannigan

There are some high quality lineman in that group.. and none were drafted highly by the Packers.

In comparison, I think this is a group where players can be molded more so than any other group on the football field.. it takes special coaches to mold them though as a functioning unit.

The basics are vital but so is the communication amongst them.. something I see missing on today's squad.. developed lineman.

"pack93z" wrote:

So, the question becomes who is to blame for our bad OL? Campen? MM? Or TT? I'm guessing you'd say Campen.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
14 years ago

Frank Winters
Adam Timmerman
Marco Rivera
Mark Tauscher
Mike Flannigan

"zombieslayer" wrote:

So, the question becomes who is to blame for our bad OL? Campen? Mike McCarthy? Or Ted Thompson? I'm guessing you'd say Campen.

"pack93z" wrote:

This has been a consistent theme since Philben and Campen took the reigns and continued to the pairing of Campen and Fontento.. we look around the roster and see development in almost every other unit on the team.. that alone speaks volumes to me.

That and the fact that we all the lineman we have ran through here since Ted has come to town.. we can't find a solid starting 5?

Something is amiss.. we see that the players have the ability for stretches of time.. lacking consistency to get it done on a week to week basis.

Yes.. I am banging the drum for a change at the units coaching.. something we have been commenting on since 06 and 07.. 06 we had three rookies starting.. I can sort of expect that.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Who would be your leading three candidates to fill the position?
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
I blame Ted Thompson the LEAST in all of this. This is based entirely on what I have gathered from what has been made public, which of course is a very small percentage of the whole truth.

Ted is not some autocrat drafting willy-nilly with some exclusive myopic version of his vision for this team. He went out and got the kind of linemen he was told to go out and get. The coaches run the offensive line scheme, the coaches decide what kind of "body-type" they want. Ted is responsible in the sense that the "buck stops" with him, but if it is to be looked at fairly, he did what he was asked to do---quick, athletic- "tweener type" o-linemen---ZBS-type o-linemen, when you read the scouting reports on them.

This is on Mike McCarthy in the sense that he has always taken ownership---And I believe him, in his emphasis on fixing (God I even hate typing this) pad level, foot position, straddle technique--whatever his catch-phrase excuse of the day/week/month might be.

Is it Campen? I think so, but I also think he got a bag of shit to work with. That is on whomever has decided that the Green Bap Packers do not need hat-on-hat simple out-physical your opponent linemen. I think that is on MM... I could be wrong.
Pack93z
14 years ago

Who would be your leading three candidates to fill the position?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

For the way that we build a roster and the theories that Ted has placed on the line in past moves.. I think I would start looking at strong offensive line programs in the college ranks.

I would be looking at schools that run only the pro style offense or even to the spread type attacks in the big time competition conferences where they are facing NFL type defensive talent.. face it Mike McCarthy is a pass first coach, so I would be looking for coaches that can handle developing pass blockers.

Why look to the college ranks, because they yearly deal with turning over the group and can adjust accordingly.. in college if you have an NFL ready lineman in his junior year he is coming out.. and that means you have developed him in two years..

Typical contract here coming out gives you two to three years max to have him developed to get value out of his rookie contract and so you can properly access his value in his next contract. Personally I think it can be done much quicker if the core group is strong.

But we can't afford these three years projects that still should inconsistencies any given week.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.