Formo
14 years ago
But if you hold off on the over analysis on Tom Powers' piece and boil it down to the point that he's getting to..

There are some Packer fans that really, truly need to let it go.

Case in point: I was in La Crosse for a wedding this last Saturday. I was visiting with a few of my in-laws and Favre obviously cropped up. They all know I'm a huge Vikings fan, and a few of them hate Favre. I mean.. HATE (with venom) Favre. So I pull out my Blackberry Curve, fire up Facebook, and bring up some pictures I have on there with Favre in a Viking uniform. Show that to the 'haters', and my God.. It was like a dog had rabies.

And on the other hand, my sister-in-law had asked me what I thought of Favre playing for my team. I told her simply, "We'll see.. I'll cheer him on just as I have cheered on every other QB in purple" She now watches the Vikings, just because Favre is here.

Both those examples need to let Favre go.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

Sure are - some of the folks here included.

But it's not just Packer fans - it's the whole bloody NFL, and pretty much anyone associated with it. Until he truly retires, I don't see what the whole fuss is, other than a lack of anything else substantive to discuss. But it is what it is - he is, as has been demonstrated repeatedly at this point, all anyone wants to talk about. Which is sad.

Once games that count start, we can all hope the focus gets tightened to his performance on the field and nothing else (we'll be hoping in vain, but we can hope).
blank
Formo
14 years ago

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Sure are - some of the folks here included.

But it's not just Packer fans - it's the whole bloody NFL, and pretty much anyone associated with it. Until he truly retires, I don't see what the whole fuss is, other than a lack of anything else substantive to discuss. But it is what it is - he is, as has been demonstrated repeatedly at this point, all anyone wants to talk about. Which is sad.

Once games that count start, we can all hope the focus gets tightened to his performance on the field and nothing else (we'll be hoping in vain, but we can hope).

"Formo" wrote:

I don't know how the focus does NOT get wrapped to Favre's performance.

Mark these words, I'm not going to apologize for the lack of Favre's performance (if that does indeed happen). Nor am I going to be pissy that he was brought in (VR.. :pottytrain1: )
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Sounds like Tom's found his way onto a forum for the first time ever.

I don't think it's representative of the entire Packer and NFL fanbase to say that we need to get over Favre. Sure, Favre still incites a greater response than say, a sidewalk with a gigantic phallus carved for all eternity, with two unscrupulous and disproportionately large balls for good measure, but I think the Packers' fans are more looking forward to a good, tongue-in-cheek rivalry matchup than to mope about why Favre's wearing purple. I think the revenge/vengeance/betrayal factor is getting a tad overplayed.
blank
Formo
14 years ago

Sounds like Tom's found his way onto a forum for the first time ever.

I don't think it's representative of the entire Packer and NFL fanbase to say that we need to get over Favre. Sure, Favre still incites a greater response than say, a sidewalk with a gigantic phallus carved for all eternity, with two unscrupulous and disproportionately large balls for good measure, but I think the Packers' fans are more looking forward to a good, tongue-in-cheek rivalry matchup than to mope about why Favre's wearing purple. I think the revenge/vengeance/betrayal factor is getting a tad overplayed.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

You'd be surprised.

I think the more NFL fan/Packer fan feels the way you do. They are over it, and are just ready for the season to start. It's the Favre fan/Packer fan that Tom talked about on his article. And even though it's hard to say how many of those fans there actually are.. the fact remains that they are there, and they are loud.

I think I'm now finding out that a lot of the Packer fans I knew growing up in Superior (or fans like them) were really just Favre fans. They barely knew the rules to the game, much less watch a football game that the Packers DIDN'T play in. Don't get me wrong, there are fans like that for every team. But because Favre was so prominent in WI, those fans had a flock.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
To Formo's point: I would posit that these days there are far more "fans" who gravitate to a single player or who root for whatever team is winning than there are "true" fans of a team. Even in Wisconsin - I can't speak to pre-1992, but I know that from the time I arrived at Madison to the point where I moved up here to the TC, the number of Packers "fans" rose, a LOT. When I got to Madison, they were obsessed with the Badgers first and foremost - when I left, it was all about Favre and the Packers. He was with the team for a long time, and for the majority of that time they were a winning club. I would say this dramatically increased the number of "Favre/frontrunner fans" - then he leaves (in a very messy way) and they miss the playoffs. That's a recipe for the kind of atmosphere we're seeing.

Now, if the Packers do well this season, a good chunk of those more "fair weather" fans will warm up to the new look and will do as the author requests and let go. If they don't, we'll have more folks jumping off the bandwagon, and those "Favre fans" will look less splenetic.

That's just how it seems to work - now that the NFL is such a big thing, those of us who are die-hard fans will just have to get used to bandwagoneering. It's the wave of the future.
blank
NormaL
14 years ago

I embrace my hatred...I nurture my hatred...I LOVE my hatred! And the whole "poison pill" was not because they didn't want anyone else to have him, (he was traded to the Jets, so that is obviously not true...silly dhazer) it was because they knew LAST season he wanted to be a Queen, and they were right!

Oh, and can I please hear the "Lombardi left to coach the Redskins" argument again?! He did, but oddly enough it WASN'T the Queens, Bears or Lions...therefor making that argument null and void in my opinion.

Thank you, and good day!

"LambeauEast" wrote:

What he said :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
nyrpack
14 years ago
5 years after he finally retires , brett will be a packer again forever in canton, ohio !!
jimmy b.
rabidgopher04
14 years ago

5 years after he finally retires , brett will be a packer again forever in canton, ohio !!

"nyrpack" wrote:

I hope not. He can stay with the Vikings.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (19h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (19h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.