Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Nick Barnett tried to describe how Green Bay Packers fans are struggling with the notion of Brett Favre dressed in purple and playing for the Minnesota Vikings.

Its hard for them to adjust to it, the Packers linebacker said. You cant blame them. They were in love with Brett Favre and he dumped them and went with another chick. So, theyre a little heartbroken.

If only the Favre saga were that simple. But the legendary quarterbacks ugly divorce from the Green Bay organization has two sides, and Favre no doubt believes the Packers dumped him first.[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20090929&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=90929168&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]

Its a classic he said, she said scenario, and fans are caught in the middle like children forced to choose between parents.

Not surprisingly, the Packers organization is reluctant to rehash the gory details of Favres departure last season. I have zero interest in going back to last training camp, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said at his press conference Monday.

On the contrary, I have boundless interest in the Packers breakup with Favre, which has transformed Monday nights Packers-Vikings game at the Metrodome into the most anticipated regular-season matchup ever. Here are 10 things I believe about Favre and his involvement in the biggest soap opera in Packers history:

1. Favre is good for the NFL
[ul]A player on the verge of turning 40 who never has missed a start in 17 years and continues to produce makes for an incredible story. His passion for the game cannot be questioned. The TV networks love him because anytime Favre plays, he compels people to watch. His last-second pass to beat the 49ers on Sunday was remarkable and provided one more piece of evidence proving you should never bet against him, no matter how old he is or what color jersey he is wearing.[/ul]

2. Favre is not a traitor
[ul]Some Packers fans want to demonize Favre for going over to the dark side. But how many of those critics would turn down a sum of around $13 million for less than five months of work to perform a job he loves?[/ul]

3. Ted Thompson did the right thing
[ul]Some fans wont forgive Packers General Manager Ted Thompson for leaving the train station without Favre last year. But it was a fundamentally sound football decision. Favre announced his retirement, and the Packers moved on. When Favre changed his mind for the umpteenth time conveniently waiting until the Packers completed their offseason program Thompson and McCarthy deemed it prudent not to look back. Their confidence in Aaron Rodgers proved correct, and the Packers are in very good hands at quarterback for the foreseeable future.[/ul]

4. Rodgers isnt to blame
[ul]The Packers lousy record last season was a result of many things, but Rodgers play wasnt one of them. The presence of Favre wouldnt have made much, if any, difference in the Packers final record. Why wont the same critics who blame Rodgers for 6-10 also point the finger at Favre for the Packers 4-12 record in 2005? Anyone who genuinely believes Favre magically would have turned some of the Packers close losses into victories in 2008 are forgetting about his abysmal performance in the final five weeks of the season with the Jets.[/ul]

5. Trading Favre to the Vikings wasnt an option
[ul]It has been suggested that since Favre landed in Minnesota anyway, the Packers should have traded him there last year and gotten more than a third-round draft choice in compensation. There was no way of knowing Favre would be a free agent a year later and still playing, and theres no way of knowing whether the Vikings would have parted with a first-round pick. What Thompson knew at the time was the Vikings were potentially one good quarterback away from being a Super Bowl contender. No general manager worth his salt would bolster a hated division rivals biggest weakness.[/ul]

6. Favre wants revenge
[ul]No matter how adeptly Favre dances around the topic this week, there is no doubt he wants to stick it to Thompson in a big way. The jilted Favre wants his pound of flesh, and he wants it badly. Over the past year, Favre stooped to pettiness in taking verbal shots at Thompson. But the quarterback knows the best way to make Thompson look bad is to perform at a high level and propel the Vikings past the Packers.[/ul]

7. Favre has been coddled
[ul]Brad Childress served as Favres chauffeur when the quarterback arrived in town, an image the Minnesota coach may never shake. Childress broke every coaching rule in the book by elevating one player above the rest of the team. Favre was allowed to skip most of training camp and walk in off the street and be handed a starting job. Childress looks like a genius now with a 3-0 record, but his buddy-buddy approach toward Favre could blow up in his face and cost him his job, especially if Favre suffers through his customary late-season fade.[/ul]

8. Favre loves the attention, records
[ul]One reason Favre hasnt retired is he craves the spotlight and cares about his place in the NFL record book. Behind that aw, shucks demeanor is a man who cant get enough adulation. Dont think Favre isnt aware of Peyton Manning slowly creeping up on him. The longer Favre sticks around, the more secure his records will be.[/ul]

9. There is no love lost between these teams
[ul]McCarthy and Childress dont like each other. Favre hasnt spoken to Rodgers in ages. The Packers filed tampering charges against the Vikings concerning Favre last year. Is there any doubt this goes way beyond a heated rivalry? Its a border war that spills into the streets and involves passionate fans. Dont be surprised if pushing, shoving and a few cheap shots break out, on and off the field.[/ul]

10. This is no ordinary game
[ul]Players and coaches will attempt to downplay the hype surrounding this grudge match, but they will fail. First place is on the line, not to mention bragging rights for the next month. But more than that, Favre will loom larger than life over this full-blown, ESPN-fueled media circus.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
I really liked that article when I read it yesterday.

The reason I liked it is simple.

It is simple.

When I reflect on just how many moronic posts I have had to read regarding this issue over the past year, most of them in places like the JSOnline comments section, or the GBP Gazette comments section...

I worry. I really, really do.

Those purple people call myself and my Wisconsin brethren every name in the book, but the overriding theme invariably gets back to a concept that Wisconsin people in general are absolutely dumber than dirt itself.

This whole exercise since the day Brett retired gave them a warehouse of raw material with which to work. When I think back on all the stupid shit said, and the idiotic positions taken by many...

I find it embarrassing to be associated with most of it. It is ultimately what got me and kept me here. Packerchatters went to hell (it was only in purgatory pre-fiasco).

So that article is just good enough, and hopefully simple enough, and also just late enough in the process... to possibly penetrate the incredibly thick skulls of some incredibly stupid people.

imo
4PackGirl
14 years ago
the article is only "good" because it plays to both sides of the issue...something we haven't seen much of during the whole fiasco.

no matter how many times each of us have given our viewpoints, basically stated the same thing, & tried to get past it - it's a bitter pill to swallow no matter which 'side' you tend to agree with.

i think after our 2 games with the queens are over this season, win or lose, it will be part of the process for fans to put the past where it belongs.

we'll see.
Pack93z
14 years ago
Balanced look.. I still to this day say it all revolves around piss poor communication between Favre and the FO.. and as reflected in the article, the blame lies equally on all parties shoulders.

Including us the fans, well the ones than still can't let go.

I fear though, that if Favre's Vikings (*cough.. "fluke"... cough*) win both match up's this year.. it will swirl swiftly again. And I will take the kendo stick to my noggin well before the final whistle, as I think I will not be able to bear the nonsense that fans will begin to sling after the unthinkable scenario.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"dfosterf" wrote:

This is just a note for when review time comes for the mods.

Sooooo, you read this article yesterday and really liked it, yet, did not post it here to share? Hmmm
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Holy crap, we're still writing about this?

I wonder how many sports writers will hit the unemployment line the day Favre truly retires.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago
I agree with just about everything he says. And no matter what happens from this day forward, Thompson still did the right thing by going with Aaron; and Brett is not a traitor for signing with the Vikings.

If we beat Brett and the Vikings twice, it proves nothing. And if Brett beats us twice, it proves nothing.
dfosterf
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

This is just a note for when review time comes for the mods.

Sooooo, you read this article yesterday and really liked it, yet, did not post it here to share? Hmmm

"dfosterf" wrote:

I am busy defending our honor (actually, mine...but nothing wrong in making everyone a little nervous, lol) on a certain purple forum.

Lord knows someone around here that knows what the HELL they are doing has to.

Totally kidding.

I am having more than a little fun, and these things can be labor intensive.

An example:

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

The reason I liked it is simple.

It is simple.

When I reflect on just how many moronic posts I have had to read regarding this issue over the past year, most of them in places like the JSOnline comments section, or the GBP Gazette comments section...

I worry. I really, really do.

Those purple people call myself and my Wisconsin brethren every name in the book, but the overriding theme invariably gets back to a concept that Wisconsin people in general are absolutely dumber than dirt itself.

This whole exercise since the day Brett retired gave them a warehouse of raw material with which to work. When I think back on all the stupid shit said, and the idiotic positions taken by many...

I find it embarrassing to be associated with most of it. It is ultimately what got me and kept me here. Packerchatters went to hell (it was only in purgatory pre-fiasco).

So that article is just good enough, and hopefully simple enough, and also just late enough in the process... to possibly penetrate the incredibly thick skulls of some incredibly stupid people.

imo

"dfosterf" wrote:

You're a dreamer, foster.

Alas, pinheads stay pinheads. Bad thinking has incredible endurance.

Just as mercantilism continues to control popular economic thinking 230+ years after Adam Smith showed its basic idiocy, there will be a segment of Packer-dom on various sides of the Great Favre [strike]Debate[/strike] Whine-Fest that continue to say the same stupid things.

I share your opinion on the article, and on the moronic posts over the past n months. Just not your optimism about the death of said moronic posting.

At least in places other the PH.

LIke I said, you're a dreamer. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Holy crap, we're still writing about this?

I wonder how many sports writers will hit the unemployment line the day Favre truly retires.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

None. They'll just become sideline reporters for the TV networks.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.