all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Anyone know when Bigby is back?

"shield4life" wrote:

Sorry, I was wrong before.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/63648952.html 

Near the bottom, Safties coach Darren Perry says he expects Bigby back for the Lions game after the bye.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
evad04
14 years ago

More blitz's from the defense. Against the Bears the defense was fucking exciting to watch because you could see the defenders roaming around damn near taunting the QB. Now? Everyone is sitting still waiting for the snap. I prefer the aggressive nature instead of the reactive nature.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

You can only blitz if you've got players that are assignment sure. Especially your Safties - they must know (and get to) their assigned areas.

That is where this team fails. Say what you want about Bigby - but you hardly ever heard his name being called out for not being in the right spot doing his job. The fact that he was half a step behind the player is not as important as the fact that he knew where he was supposed to provide help, and he would get to that area before the ball was thrown.

That sure as hell didn't happen last night, and hasn't since the Bears game. Rouse wasn't assignment sure, Martin wasn't assignment sure, and our next option was Jarret Bush. Need I say more?

Looking back at the play where Brett threw the TD pass to Berrian - look at Al before the snap. He's facing Martin, pointing out what Martin should be doing. As soon as Al turns around, Berrian is running past him and (surprise, surprise) Martin is not where he should have been - over top of Al.

That's not something that should be happening in Week 4. That's inexcusable. And THAT is happening to our starting SS.

I believe it was Capers who said that his scheme has holes that can be exploited, but the key is to bring pressure home and prohibit the QB from having enough time to either recognize the hole, or actually have a receiver settle into the hole. When all the players aren't assignment sure, you end up having many more holes the QB can attack in a short period of time.

My point is simple: there is a reason Capers went away from the blitz. It's because our Safties (after Collins) are not starting caliber players - they are missing assignments and leaving gaps in the field that someone like Brett will (and did) exploit oh so easily.

That above provides a context for Woodson's comments questioning the cutting of Smith today. Smith, despite his style of play, knew his responsibilities in this scheme. Martin, for all his talents, does not even know them, let alone capable of doing them.

This is also the reason why Capers and his Defensive staff (not Mike McCarthy) might be keeping Bishop out. In fire-zone, you need LBs that carry out their assignments to make the thing work. We have seen that while Bishop may be great in run support, he has glaring mistakes that lead to big plays in pass defense.

Barnett, in that context, is getting more reps becuase he has shown to be more assignment sure than Bishop. It may not make a world of difference when facing a team with only one real weapon like the Rams and their RB Jackson, but a team that was thriving on the pass last night... well it could have been a touch worse (not much, though) with Bishop in there.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

+1

Not a whole lot I disagree with in this post -- only that I don't know if Anthony Smith is assignment sure. That has been thrown out there as a reason he was expendable (other than, of course, the rumor that McCarthy simply didn't like him).

We need Bibgy back. If we can field a team with Clifton and Bigby the next time to face the Vikes, hopefully we can prevent some of the self-inflicted shotgun blasts.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I refuse to put any stock in bringing back Jackson and Bigby. I was calling for both to be cut before the season even began. The thought of making Jackson our starter is scary at best. The guy can't stay healthy to save his life. These guys will return, play a few downs -- if we're lucky, a couple of games -- and they'll end up right back on the injury list. Past performance may not guarantee future failure, but it sure provides some warning signs.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

More blitz's from the defense. Against the Bears the defense was fucking exciting to watch because you could see the defenders roaming around damn near taunting the QB. Now? Everyone is sitting still waiting for the snap. I prefer the aggressive nature instead of the reactive nature.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

You can only blitz if you've got players that are assignment sure. Especially your Safties - they must know (and get to) their assigned areas.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Excellent point! We were blitzing a lot against the Bears, when we had Bigby and I haven't seen it much since. Coincidence?

Zero, I'm just saying that it isn't as simple sometimes as "get rid of the ball faster!" My evidence, as stated, was that on many of the sacks the defense has more defenders than the Packers do options.

Just because you've mentioned it in other threads doesn't mean I can't bring it up in this thread, silly pants (and I don't mean "Silly Pants" as in you're an idiot and I'm being snide -- I mean it in a truly endearing way, like you'd say to your brother when your talking about football ... only if you were talking to your brother about football you probably wouldn't say "silly pants" and if you did it would be in a pejorative sense and he'd probably be within his rights to either smack you in the face or laugh at the fact that that's the best name you could come up with).

All things considered, I agree, Rodgers needs to get rid of the ball. I just want to take into account that in many instances the four man pressure is getting in too quickly and the outnumbered passing options make it difficult.

As for the offensive line shuffling, I'm with you most of the way. Colledge got schooled, so in hindsight your point holds up. But going into the game against Minny I can't say that I'd do it differently, were I McCarthy. You'd really throw a rookie tackle out against Allen? I mean, Colledge isn't a great option but he's an option with at least SOME experience playing tackle at the pro-level.

I just hope we get a healthy, productive Cliffy back and that Tauscher becomes a viable option. I'm not sure how much longer Rodgers can survive.

"evad04" wrote:

I never said it was as simple as getting rid of the ball faster. There's a lot more to it and as I've said 32 times before, he may not have had anywhere to even throw the ball to. Even when you have a half second to throw it out of bounds or at someone's feet, it has to be good placement to avoid a flag and you have to have a throwing lane.

When I'm watching the game again I can't see the passing lanes because of the camera angles, but it looks like he's holding the ball too long at times trying to make something out of nothing when he should just throw it away. Even McCarthy said Rodgers time clock needs to improve so I know I'm not alone with that thinking and he does have the views necessary. Although with Mike saying what I'm saying, it does make me question it, lol... j/k

The 8 sacks are mostly on the OL. I feel that there were I think 2 sacks that Rodgers could have SAFELY avoided by throwing the ball away instead of getting sacked. I think the fumble was on him too, but I do not hold it against him because he saw pressure, ran and tried to make something out of it. It's not like he knew the LT was getting blown up at the same time.

Rodgers is young and will get better. In the mean time, I'm going to point out what things I agree and disagree with on his play. I may be right, I may be wrong, either way, I have an opinion on it and you know me, I like to share my rambling thoughts. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.