Rockmolder
14 years ago

Well, my prediction was way off in terms of the absolute score, but it hardly feels like a blowout. The game raised more questions than it answers. And despite the victory, we're still 2-1/2 games back.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

But on the good side, you ought to have come about 5 times this game because of the solid tackling.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Only two or three, sadly. I had to miss the entire second half due to a prior engagement. 😉
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
I don't understand all the hand wringing. Yes, there is OBVIOUSLY lots of room for improvement. We leaft alot of points out on the field.
But still, we WON 26-0.
The Lions still are an NFL team, and had we REALLY sucked as bad as some act like we do, they should have beat us. Yet we shut them out.

We were coming off the bye week. We came away with a much needed win.
The way i see it, next week's game at Cleveland will say exactly where we are. We SHOULD win that game. And hopefully we will get the things ironed out on offense that kept us out of the endzone this week.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Packers 26, Lions 0: Post-game notes and quotes 

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

* WR Jordy Nelson had a knee bruise. X-rays were negative.

* Special teams coach Shawn Slocum said the team mixed in Charles Woodson on punt returns because of his experience and his ability to catch the ball in the wind.

* LT Chad Clifton re-injured the same ankle and we'll know more about him on Monday.

* On whether the win was good enough: "Very important win today, number one, playing at home. I mean, these are things we address as a football team staying focused on the target and winning at home and winning division games. I felt the game today started with defense. I thought they played at a very high level holding the Detroit Lions to zero points. The ability to play at home like that with great defense has always been the focus. I was very pleased with that.

* "I thought the special teams played very well in their segments. I thought the fake punt was a big play in the game for us. We had a couple penalties on those units, well look at that."

* "Offensively, we had a lot of production. But the two big negatives are the sacks and the penalties. So, pre-snap, no excuse. No one feels good about that. But well look at the other stuff."

* On Clay Matthews: "He's talented. I thought Clay took full advantage of his opportunities to start in both the base and the nickel. He's been coming on strong. His performance up there in Minnesota was a big part of us making this change."

* On Aaron Kampman getting a sack with his hand down: "I know a lot has been made of that. When your team statistics are in order, the individual statistics will be in order. We'll continue to put all our players in the best position to be successful. There's an adjustment and we're working our way through it."

* "I thought as a whole, that's what the defense was supposed to look like today. When that's in order, the individual statistics will come in order."

* On Clifton: "It happened on the turnover. It's disappointing. We're not very healthy up front right now and we have to keep working and working our way through the adjustments we have to make. These are part of the game."

* On the sacks: "I know we had some communication errors on two of them."

* On the penalties: "Breaking point? I'll tell you, it's frustrating. There's no denying that. I'm not going to sit up here and tell you I feel really good about it. The ones that grab a hold of me are the pre-snap penalties. We have to get it cleaned up. It's definitely an issue the first five games."

* B.J. Raji tweaked his ankle again so McCarthy pulled him. Coaches' decision.

* Driver on his record: It feels good. Im happy. Im more excited than anything else. Its a long time coming. You know, you never expect it to happen, but it couldnt have come at a better place at home in front of your home crowd. It feels good. Now I just got to wait on Sterling (Sharpe) to call me and see if he wants to congratulate me again.

* Nick Collins on Bigby being back: "It was big. Hes a playmaker, he went out there, got tackles, an interception at the end stopped them from getting in the end zone, so that was huge. Guys were just glad that he was able to be out there."

* Lions RB Aaron Brown on the Packers' defense: "It was really dominant. They were really fundamentally sound. They werent about making each and every individual play. They have a lot of team chemistry and thats why they were the victors today.

* Rodgers on pass protection: "One of them is definitely my fault. We had a shovel pass called. I should have checked the protection to the left, I knew he was free, I was unfortunately trying to get away from him and throw it away and he kind of wrapped me up. Definitely the one on the two minute drill was my fault. I think there were times where I had a lot of time to throw and times where I was pressured. But I think were going to be critical on the film and improve and get better."

* On whether or not Lang can hold up at LT: "I like progression that T.J. has made. Hes an athletic guy. Been kind of all over the place. In OTAs, and training camp. Think hes doing a nice job. Done some good things in practice for us. I have a lot of confidence in him. He exudes confidence from himself, and he plays with a little bit of a nasty streak as well. Anytime hes in there Ive got confidence in him. If we have to go with him, then were going to be confident in his abilities and confident hell get the job done."

Nice piece of Rodgers on the protection.

McCarthy, for a change, is being very cryptic on T.J. Lang, although there are some hints of us sticking with him at LT. Then again, with Mike and Ted, you never know.
longtimefan
14 years ago

why bj didn' play a lot???

"matteogb4" wrote:

Tweaked the ankle?

I think it might be time to get Hawk out of there and use Clay..

for me Clay is what Hawk SHOULD BE
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

I don't understand all the hand wringing. Yes, there is OBVIOUSLY lots of room for improvement. We leaft alot of points out on the field.
But still, we WON 26-0.
The Lions still are an NFL team, and had we REALLY sucked as bad as some act like we do, they should have beat us. Yet we shut them out.

We were coming off the bye week. We came away with a much needed win.
The way i see it, next week's game at Cleveland will say exactly where we are. We SHOULD win that game. And hopefully we will get the things ironed out on offense that kept us out of the endzone this week.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Cheesey,
I glad GB won the game. There are a lot of things that they did right today. But let's not kid ourselves. Detroit is not a real NFL team right now. They would be hard pressed to beat come of the better college teams.

Shutouts are hard to get. I will take this one but it is a bit tained.
Detroit did not have their starting QB, the #2 QB went down after the game had been decided (actually he is a questionable #2 anyway. I wouldn't take him over Flynn would you?)
They did not have their #1 offensive weapon.

Their defensive line was a shambles with 3/4 of their starters missing. ANd yet they pressured and sacked Rodgers all day long. They held Grant to 90 yards on 24 carries. If you take out his 1 big run he only had
68 yards which is a 2.96 yard per carry avg. Woeful. (37 of his 90 came on 7 carries in the last series and it is safe to say that at least some of the Detroit players quit and others dialed it back a notch or two.)

Before the game the radio analysis said that Detroit's kick coverage is so bad that Nelson is probably going to return a kick for a TD today. He did but it didn't count. Our #3 punt returner took one back 45 yards. Imagine if that had been Blackmon.

As I said there were a lot of good things in the game. Mainly on the defensive side of the ball. Harris, Matthews, Kampy. Barnett was solid. I was pleased with Williams, Bigby, Woody and Jenkins as well.

One offense, the one handed grabs were outstanding. I was so pleased that Driver had a great game today and Jenkins seemed to come up big when needed. Just when people were talking about writing Jones off he came thru. that was nice to see.
I didn't mind the penalty on Driver or Colledge even though they were personal fouls for 15 yards each. You have to stand up for teammates no matter what the cost.
Even though Aaron passed for 358 yards a lot of the credit has to go to the receivers. Rodgers was off on many of his throws. They had to go and get them. DD went down on a knee. The one handed grabs. Passes to the wrong shoulder and so on.

Yes GB won but I just wonder if they would have one against a mid level team like Baltimore, Carolina or the Eagles. They have to improve if they expect to make the playoffs.
I have never been so frustrated with a shutout win in my life. If I could see signs of improvement I have more hope but it is the same problems every single week. Poor pass protection. Poor run blocking, poor pocket timing on Rodgers part. (I take that back. There is one area of improvement and that was the dropped passes were gone today.)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (23m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.