Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Green Bay - Derrick Frost should consider himself on notice.

Coach Mike McCarthy didn't hesitate Monday when he was asked about the punter's performance in Sunday night's 27-16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

"He needs to do a better job," McCarthy said. "There is no doubt about that. You look at the net and the numbers are OK, but as far as ball placement inside the 20, we need to do a better job of that."

After finishing the game against the Detroit Lions with a fumbled snap and a line-drive kick that was returned 20 yards, Frost punted five times against the Cowboys. He finished with a 49.0 average and a net of 42.4, but none of the punts landed inside the 20-yard line as the Packers struggled with field position throughout the game. Frost also averaged a mediocre 3.66 seconds of hang time.

"I'm just not real happy," said Frost, who has landed just one of his 14 punts inside the 20. "Two of the punts I really didn't hit very well. I kind of put us in a bind. Luckily we came out of it (OK), but I just don't feel like I'm hitting the ball nearly as well as I should be.

"You're not going to hit the ball perfect or great every game. Looking at the film, I'm just driving the ball, not getting up and through it and reaching out too much for it. I need to work on that this week, get better hang time."

Special teams coach Mike Stock said the punt coverage was "outstanding" as they held Adam Jones to a 4.3-yard average on the three punts he fielded. Stock was tight-lipped about Frost.

"He needs to be more consistent and do a better job," Stock said. "Our guys did a heck of a job even though the hang time wasn't what you wanted."

After being cut by the Washington Redskins, Frost was brought in the week before the opener specifically because he was more consistent than incumbent Jon Ryan, who was released and is now with the Seattle Seahawks.

Just judging from statistics, Frost looks like an upgrade so far: He's tied for seventh in the league in average (47.4) and seventh in net (40.6). However, he is a player known for angling the ball toward the sidelines and getting a lot of hang time, but opponents have yet to fair catch one of his 14 punts.

Still, Frost said he's not worried about his job security, even with the way he was brought to Green Bay.

"I really don't care to think about it because it's not going to help me punt any better," Frost said. "Although I've played bad, we've been effective. I'm just excited for when I get out there and have a great game, to see what we can do."

Bruised and battered
[ul]Receiver James Jones wanted to get back into the game against Dallas on Sunday, but he said he wouldn't have done the team any good.

Jones got hit on the same right knee he injured Aug. 22, and the pain was so great he could never get his stride back. He ran on the sidelines trying to loosen up but knew he wasn't right.

"The pain I felt was ridiculous," Jones said. "I just had to cool it down a little bit."

In addition to the knee, Jones woke up with a swollen wrist. He said it's a sprain or a possible slight fracture, but he said it was nothing that would keep him off the field.

"It's just a little wrist injury," Jones said. "We get those all the time."[/ul]

Run to nowhere
[ul]From a pure technical standpoint, the coaches weren't displeased with the running game.

The Packers averaged 4.0 yards per carry against the Cowboys.

What was missing was a home run play, like Dallas rookie Felix Jones' 60-yard run that put the Cowboys ahead for good.

"When you watch the film from an efficiency standpoint, we thought we did pretty well," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "We had 17 runs and we thought we won the down 11 times. That's a pretty efficient day. The downside was we didn't crack any, we didn't get any split of the defense. That's a little disappointing."

Philbin said the fact there weren't any runs of zero or less was a sign the run game was coming around.[/ul]

Missing their gaps
[ul]The Jones run was pretty emblematic of the day the Packers had stopping Dallas' run.

There was a miscommunication on how the defense lined up and instead of safety Aaron Rouse being in a position where he could have made a play on Jones or at least forced him inside, he was lined up on the other side of the field.

"If you don't get lined up right, those things happen," defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said.

The rest of the night, the defensive line did not play fundamentally sound and as a result allowed the Cowboys to rush for 217 yards. Second down was one of the worst. The Cowboys converted five downs of second and 8 or more running the ball.

"We were just sloppy last night," defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn said. "They had a lot to do with it. But guys were out of their gaps at times. We played hard and sometimes guys tried to do too much. We just didn't bring our 'A' game."[/ul]

Injury report
[ul]Running back Kregg Lumpkin suffered a hamstring strain, but McCarthy said early indications were it wasn't overly serious.

Safety Nick Collins had a back sprain, and linebacker Nick Barnett had an elbow strain. McCarthy did not give timetables for their return.[/ul]

Good point, we didn't have any runs for zero or a loss. Which makes me ask, why didn't we run it more?

Nice to know that it was Aaron Rouse that was out of position on Jones TD that put the Cowboys ahead for good. Still want Rouse instead of Bigby?
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Who wants Rouse instead of Bigby? I thought the offseason debate was Rouse vs Collins, but right now, it seems like Collins is winning.

Can't wait for Bigby to get healthy. I was predicting Pro Bowl for him, but can't do that if he's not healthy.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
15 years ago
Collins is our best safety this season.

Rouse is what he is. He's a playmaker, but he's young, just like the coaches have been saying.

It'll be nice to get some of these guys back. We were missing 75% of our defensive backfield for a lot of the Cowboys game, and the one guy who was in was playing with a broken toe.
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
15 years ago
I am a HUGE fan of Aaron Rouse. But thats why im not a coach! lol I would have had him in there in place of Collins. Ive never been a collins fan, but I will admit he is haveing a VERY good season thus far. Hopefully he stayes healthy. As far as Frost goes....Things gotta change thats for sure.
Since69
15 years ago
Frost looked like the second coming of Louie "Line Drive" Aguilar on Sunday.

I think Rouse still has tremendous upside. His biggest problem seems to be that he takes bad angles and winds up trying to arm tackle. That can be fixed with coaching and experience.
UserPostedImage
luigis
15 years ago
I still think there were off-the-field issues with the dismissal of Jon Ryan. Maybe we'll never know.

Rouse is not a smart player, he hits and he can make plays but he fails on his assignments and takes bad angles just too often for a position that is critical in the way we play.

Luis
Luis
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Jon Ryan could punt the ball three miles, but it was in a straight line. He consistently was out punting his coverage resulting in poor NET.

He also was prone to shanking one from time to time.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.