Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Ryan Grant lobbied the Green Bay Packers to sign veteran running back Ahman Green and applauded their decision to finally make the move last Wednesday.[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*130/ahman102409.jpg[/img_r]

Should he have?

There are two ways to look at it if you're Grant.

On the one hand, bringing in Green relieves some of the pressure on Grant to produce like a guy who is worthy of the four-year, $18 million contract he received in August 2007. On the other hand, it implies that the Packers no longer think Grant is capable of being a franchise back and probably would be better suited for a job-sharing role.

If the Packers simply wanted to fill the position vacated when third-down back DeShawn Wynn was lost for the season with a knee injury, they would have signed veteran free agent Dominic Rhodes or elevated practice squad running back Kregg Lumpkin. Instead, they turned to Green, a former franchise back whose career took a detour because of injuries.

There are several reasons the Packers took a shot with Green, but simple logic will tell you he might be able to fill gaps that are missing in the team's mediocre running game.

Things like:

Better production on first down.
Better production on screen passes and check-downs.
Better production running to the left side.

Upon signing Green, no one on the Packers' coaching staff, including head man Mike McCarthy, characterized the move as having anything to do with Grant, even though the fourth-year back ranks 18th in the NFL in yards with 347, 31st in yards per carry at 3.8 and 28th in runs of 20 or more yards with one.

Still, McCarthy did say he thought the move upgraded the position and provided the Packers with someone who is a good fit for his zone running scheme.

"He still has excellent in-line quickness," McCarthy said after Green's first practice Wednesday "He really has the ability to drop his pads and run with forward lean and the things you always liked about his running style.

"I'd like to see more of him."

Could make debut vs. Vikings

Green, who has been out of football since November, won't play against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday at Cleveland Browns Stadium, but there's a chance he'll be available when the Minnesota Vikings come to Green Bay next Sunday. Common sense would tell you it's going to be awhile before he's effective - if he's effective at all at age 32.

At this point, the Packers' running game shouldn't really scare anyone. Green Bay ranks 19th mostly on the strength of some strong late-game finishes against St. Louis and Detroit, when the Packers were able to beat down a demoralized opponent.

When you're talking about production in key areas, such as on first down, the Packers are not a good running team. Obviously, the offensive line plays a part in that, but the right side of the line is solid, and backup center Scott Wells has done a fine job against some tough opponents.

McCarthy's reluctance to stick with the run is another factor. The Packers are running the ball just 39.6% of the time, and that's not enough to get a rhythm going. But still, he should be able to count on 4 yards on first down.

Through five games, the Packers are running the ball 44% of the time on first and 10. They rank 28th in yards on those downs. Grant averages 3.4 yards a carry on first and 10 and, while full rankings weren't available for that stat, San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson ranks 20th in the league with an average of 4.3, so you can imagine how far down the list Grant is.

It's something the Packers acknowledge is a problem.

"If you're averaging 3.2 yards on first down, that's not good enough," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "Obviously you want to mix some explosives (runs) in there. You're really looking at the consistency of winning the down.

"The thing that is more helpful is looking at your second and 8 call sheet and how many times you're filling that thing up. If you're up at 8, 10, 12, you know you have some issues."

Green likes to bang inside

To say Green can come in and immediately prop up those numbers is wishful thinking. Given his recent injury history, it's questionable whether he can help the Packers' running game at all. But the decision to take a chance on him is because he runs the ball the way the Packers would like to see Grant run it more often.

Green described his style this way:

"I love running in between the tackles. I love banging around in there. I like saying hello to the 'backers in the middle, let them know I'm going to be here and it's going to be for four quarters."

The Packers have to be hoping Green's style of keeping his head up, making decisive cuts and pumping his knees high so he can't be brought down with arm tackles will rub off on Grant. Running backs coach Edgar Bennett has made it clear in the past two weeks that he'd like all of his backs to get their knees up and start breaking more tackles.

Green envisions that he and Grant will complement each other.

"We're going to be battering up the linebacker crew and softening it up for each other," he said. "Whenever I do get in there, along with Brandon Jackson, it's like when it was myself and Dorsey (Levens) in the backfield. You give that defense something to think about."

It remains to be seen how many carries Green will take away from Grant, but if he has anything left in the tank he'll push the Packers' starter. One area where he might be most effective is on third downs.

Possible passing target

Since he left after the 2006 season, the Packers haven't had a back with more than 30 catches. Grant had 18 last season and has 12 in five games this year.

If you examine the Mike Holmgren and Mike Sherman years, the running backs made up for low per-carry averages with production in the passing game. From 1993-'95, Bennett ranked second on the team in catches each season.

The trend continued through the Sherman era when Green ranked first twice, second three times and third once during a seven-year stretch. This team has not used the screen pass or check-downs effectively.

"Every year is different," Bennett said. "I think lately we're getting back into that, as far as check-downs and things of that nature. We take pride in being complete backs, being a complete unit. When we are getting out we have to make the most of the opportunities. Catch the ball, look it in and make a play after."

Opportunity may be a big reason why the catches haven't come. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been stubborn about giving up on downfield throws and taking the check-down, and a lot will depend on him. It's possible Green's presence will make him feel more confident about doing it, given Grant and Wynn each have dropped two passes on check-downs.

Another area where Green can help is running to the left side, a problem for the Packers this season. According to the NFL's statistical database, the Packers average 2.67 yards when they run at the left guard, 3.18 at left tackle and 3.52 at left end. All of their runs to the right and middle average more than 4 yards.

Green is left-handed and it's more natural for him to turn that direction. During his record-breaking 2003 season, he averaged 8.78 yards running off left tackle and just over 4.0 at left end and left guard.

Adding Green is a desperation move for the Packers and uncharacteristic for general manager Ted Thompson, who prefers to bring up younger players when there is an opening.

But it shows their concern that they're not getting enough out of Grant.

UserPostedImage
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Maybe Green will rub off on Grant like the article pointed out that Bennett said. I'd like to see them break a few more tackles as well.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
What if grant knew that GB wanted a back; so grant thought well if we get a aged old back with many injuries - he will be least likely to take my job away and only be good on select plays anyways ...?

... just conjecture here
nerdmann
14 years ago
Just remember, they're also going to be playing Lang. That in and of itself should help the run game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
14 years ago
Didn't read too much of the article but judging by the beginning of it is written like Green will receive a bunch of playing time, and not like he was signed as the #3 back, which automatically makes this a pile of trash.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Didn't read too much of the article but judging by the beginning of it is written like Green will receive a bunch of playing time, and not like he was signed as the #3 back, which automatically makes this a pile of trash.

"gbguy20" wrote:

If you're not going to read the entire article, don't comment on it's point if you don't know it.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I think Silverstein is a little off base this time. We would've signed Rhodes or brought up Lumpkin? Why Rhodes, if Green is the better option and we signed him for the veteran's minimum?
UserPostedImage
Brettizzle
14 years ago

I think Silverstein is a little off base this time. We would've signed Rhodes or brought up Lumpkin? Why Rhodes, if Green is the better option and we signed him for the veteran's minimum?

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I agree, I read that and was a little confused. It doesn't make sense to bring Rhodes in instead of Green for any reason.
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

Greg C.
14 years ago
Like some others here, I found that the article pretty much lost me from the beginning. Silverstein is overanalyzing by saying that bringing in Green implies that Grant is not good enough. I'm assuming that they brought in Green because he was the best player available and the price was right. He's the replacement for their #3 RB, who was hurt.
blank
gbguy20
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

If you're not going to read the entire article, don't comment on it's point if you don't know it.

"gbguy20" wrote:

"If the Packers simply wanted to fill the position vacated when third-down back DeShawn Wynn was lost for the season with a knee injury, they would have signed veteran free agent Dominic Rhodes or elevated practice squad running back Kregg Lumpkin. Instead, they turned to Green, a former franchise back whose career took a detour because of injuries.

There are several reasons the Packers took a shot with Green, but simple logic will tell you he might be able to fill gaps that are missing in the team's mediocre running game.

Things like:

Better production on first down.
Better production on screen passes and check-downs.
Better production running to the left side."

This was enough for me to stop reading the article. That whole segment is written as if Green is going to be the main back, which we all know is wrong. Judging by everyone else's comments in this thread, it seems they all got the same feeling from it as I did.

But just for you I went back and read the whole thing. The rest of the article goes on to talk about Green's running style, etc. Not really saying much of anything.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (4h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (4h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (7h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (8h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (10h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (11h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (17h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Random Babble / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.