Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

The Morning After: Browns-Packers Edition 

[img_r]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_umo9e9iDLLQ/SogVH8FGuyI/AAAAAAAABnQ/zE3laL9xOxc/s400/jimmy+the+greek.jpg[/img_r]So, before I gather my life savings and take the "under ", let's try to answer some questions that I posed in yesterday's post .

6. Despite the results of tonight's game, what will fans and media focus on more...the Browns defense, new offensive philosophy or the QB controversy?

Although the question was framed to poke fun at our insatiable desire to solve the quarterback quandary, who knew that most fans would be lamenting what looks to be another year of defensive misery?

Simply put, that was ugly.

Since the arrival of Eric Mangini in Berea some eight months ago, the entire tone and atmosphere surrounding the team has been completely different. However, watching the Browns first-team defense last night, it wasn't even obvious that the team has a new head coach.

At times, it appeared that the stain of Romeo Crennel permeated through this team, as Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers had a full 7-8 seconds to make his reads. The Browns usual four-man rush failed to produce any real pressure and the corners were taxed much in the same ways they have been in the past.

[img_r]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_umo9e9iDLLQ/SogVXRTEGDI/AAAAAAAABnY/ipdqTVbOZPA/s400/fireromeoplease.jpg[/img_r]Obviously, it's only preseason and the coaching staff is not going to show all of their schemes and packages on the first night. However, for a team that is seemingly intent on becoming more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball, last night's performance was an exercise in vanilla self-preservation.

As for some other areas of note...

5. Is the roster truly set? I will be intently watching the Browns safeties tonight to see how Abe Elam fares against a really good deep threat in Greg Jennings. The book on Elam so far is that he is great against the run, but struggles in coverage. His play tonight could force Mangini to dip into the free agent pool and maybe find some more help at the position.

If the Donald Driver touchdown reception is any indication, Abe Elam should prepare himself for a long year at safety. Again, it's only the first game of preseason, but let's hope the Browns will be watching some of the roster cuts around the league in the coming weeks. As Rob Ryan has already stated, depth at the safety position is a concern.

3. If the young wideouts fail to impress tonight, then expect to see a lot more of David Patten and Mike Furrey for the rest of camp.

I guess this one is a little more muddled, since the overall play of the quarterbacks was disappointing. Although I'm cringing while typing this, Furrey was probably the most consistent of the Browns receivers last night. Although there is a lot of promise at the position with Massaquoi and Robiskie, as I've stated numerous times...the learning curve for a rookie wideout is steep. Expect to see a lot of fans wearing Furrey jerseys at the Stadium this year...for a variety of reasons.

[img_r]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_umo9e9iDLLQ/SogVzTa7SGI/AAAAAAAABng/p7X_KE-6yvA/s400/browns-fan.jpg[/img_r]

2. If the starting offensive line unit plays well tonight, then that same unit should continue to progress together throughout camp. Or, in other words, whoever starts tonight should remain a starter in the coming weeks. This could mean that Hank Fraley will continue to start over Alex Mack, and the days of Ryan Tucker as a Brown could be coming to an end.

Expect Alex Mack to run his share of laps on Monday. The rookie gave an uneven initial appearance and cost his team ten yards with a penalty. So it goes with a rookie lineman. As for the rest of the line, Womack and St. Clair looked decent, but the Browns run game was pretty much non-existent. Was this the result of poor blocking or poor depth at the running back position? Hopefully, this question will get answered in the coming weeks.

1. Nothing will be settled at the QB spot after this game. I doubt Eric Mangini will see enough to warrant choosing his starter for the year. Again, any gains the offense makes tonight could be more the result of playing against a defense who is trying to forge a new 3-4 identity.

On the surface, it looks like I was way off on this pick. Instead of the Browns offense making gains against a transitioning Packer defense, the exact opposite occurred. Since the Packer defense held the inept Browns offense scoreless, now it's the Packers who should be confused about their own legitimacy.

As for the million dollar question, Quinn would appear to be the leader based solely on his receiving more snaps than Anderson. While Quinn was not dominant, he appeared to be poised in the pocket and showed some good footwork. His underneath throws were largely on target and his only mistake came when he tried to force an endzone throw...one play after Braylon Edwards dropped a touchdown pass.

It's hard to truly evaluate Anderson, since he barely played. He did look kind of rattled on a couple plays, but again, who can really make such a claim based on very little evidence?

[img_r]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_umo9e9iDLLQ/SogWUUZJkgI/AAAAAAAABno/U1o9jZCw5R8/s400/dorsey.jpg[/img_r]However, one truth that revealed itself last night is the incredibly raw nature of Brett Ratliff as an NFL quarterback. Ratliff struggled mightily in the second half and never looked comfortable in the pocket. While I had fanciful offseason visions of Ratliff asserting himself as the #2 quarterback, thanks to a trade involving Derek Anderson, it now appears that neither quarterback is going anywhere...and that may not be a comforting thought.

The Pick - Part 3

So, while it is a little too early to panic, it's never too late to reflect upon how this year's Browns are eerily similar to last year's model. Going back to November, the offensive drought continues. The Browns have not scored a touchdown in almost one full calendar year. Just think about that statement. Allright, that's enough - stop thinking about it.

Now the question that needs an immediate answer regarding our Browns is how Eric Mangini and his staff responds this week. I can only imagine that training camp will become a house of horrors for the players who put on last night's dismal performance. While running laps will be the first order of the day, let's hope that the coaching staff begins to further unravel what went wrong in Green Bay.

The optimist in me feels that perhaps Mangini didn't want to reveal much more than a basic offensive and defensive package last night. Call it the Romeo Crennel Approach, but I got the feeling that we haven't seen half of what Mangini will bring out for the regular season. Hopefully, this explains the vanilla defensive approach and lethargic offense.

Otherwise, we're in for another long year.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago
A flashback to the preseason game?
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.