IronMan
14 years ago
Just thought of something. And I will be called a Vikings apologist but I don't care. I am the furthest thing from that.

What would you say if a Bears fan said , "The Packers were lucky. If it wasn't for a blown coverage on Jennings we would have won the opener."

That would be pretty weak wouldn't it?

The bottom line is every play counts. I don't do the excuse game, that includes blaming the officials. The officials make bad calls on both sides.

Anyway, that's my rant. I just hate it when fellow Packers fans play the excuse game, when they would rip Vikings fans for doing the exact same thing. Practice what you preach.
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Missed FG's by other teams that would beat you, i'd say that was lucky.
But fact is, sometimes the bounces go your way, sometimes they don't. The Vikings had a streak of "lucky" bounces. Just like we did a couple years ago when every muffed punt or whatever seemed to go our way.
I'm honest enough to say we got lucky that year, MANY times.
It will probably even out in the end.
When you blow out an opponent in all areas, thats different. But luck DOES play in MANY games.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Just thought of something. And I will be called a Vikings apologist but I don't care. I am the furthest thing from that.

What would you say if a Bears fan said , "The Packers were lucky. If it wasn't for a blown coverage on Jennings we would have won the opener."

That would be pretty weak wouldn't it?

The bottom line is every play counts. I don't do the excuse game, that includes blaming the officials. The officials make bad calls on both sides.

Anyway, that's my rant. I just hate it when fellow Packers fans play the excuse game, when they would rip Vikings fans for doing the exact same thing. Practice what you preach.

"IronMan" wrote:

Tillman stumbled and that's how Greg got his separation. There's no question we won the game because of that. It's sad that with 4 INT's it came to a CB stumbling to get us the win. Yes, good throw an catch, but if Tillman doesn't stumble, we probably lose that game.

And who's making excuses? I've said over and over the flags on the Packers are on the players and specifically McCarthy for not coaching them past them. And as for the Vikings loss. Vikings QB did throw a less than good throw which I say is bad, Taylor SHOULD have caught it, but the real reason they loss, in my opinion is because Mrs Childress was passing the ball over 50 times and only gave Adrian 18 rushes. I think you need 30 carries between Adrian and Taylor. Especially when you're in FG range to tie the freaking game.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

You do NOT throw a 5 yard screen pass if a defender is between you and the potential receiver is facing you. The receiving player should be motioning away from you and the QB should lead the receiver down field or to open field.

In this case the ball should have been thrown outside to Taylors right arm and mid level, not high and there wasn't anyone around to throw it over. Vikings QB threw a bad pass, big deal. He's not perfect, get over it. Was the play his fault? Taylor SHOULD have caught the ball. Rule one in catching, if you can put your hands on it, you should catch it.

Watch the play by clicking HERE .

I'm not a registered official in any state or anything fancy, but I believe the cause of the Vikings losing the game is on Brad Childress. Not so much Taylor or Vikings QB. Vikings were within FG range and passing instead of running? I understand you play to win the game, but I just think that was bad. 51 passes. 18 rushes for Adrian?

"DGB454" wrote:

Pretty solid analysis.. 2 of the biggest points you made that are spot on are, "Taylor SHOULD have caught the ball. Rule one in catching, if you can put your hands on it, you should catch it." And, "51 passes. 18 rushes".. Just don't call those plays with AP as your RB. It's not like the Vikings were playing from THAT much behind most of the game.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

you guys act as if a pass that was 5 inches too high maybe is the end of the world. Get past it and get ready for your ass whoppin in 5 days on the unfozen tundra. I hope Favre brings a whole crew of people with "Thanks Ted" jerseys and i hope they old gray haired fool chokes after he gets fired on Monday.

"Formo" wrote:

This hero worship thing some of you guys have is just embarrassing. I like Brett (His play. Not so much his personality.) but he now plays for the opponent. I don't see why that's so hard to get past and move on.
If you can't get passed it then what happens after Brett finally does retire? No more football ? Move on to another hero?

I guess I just don't understand.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

The first Min/GB game set a record for highest rated cable program ever. Theres a reason for it. It doesnt happen if Sage Rosenfels of T Jackson starts.

Also, you call it hero worship, it's not that. It's defending the player. People want to say Favre cost them the game because he held on to the ball too long on the fumble or the "high pass" on the screen. So these idiots want to put the loss on Favre. He had 3 seconds and the defender was there on the fumble and the pass, while slightly high, was certainly catchable and either way, was just another lucky play. The Vikings dominated the Steelers for the most part and were on there way to win the game despite the bad calls(tripping in particular), the "GREAT VIKINGS RUNNING GAME" inability to punch in the TD when Favre drove them to the 3 yard line, the unfortunate defensive td returns.

Anyone who gathered the Steelers are a better team than the Vikings be smokin something nice. Anyway, 7-1 with a bye coming isn't too bad.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Pack93z
14 years ago
The loss doesn't fall on his (Favre's) shoulders alone.. they win and lose as a team. That there is the difference in statements in views.

The holding the ball comment was more of a joke for those that wanted to pin all the sack problems on Rodgers.

Simply put.. Steelers and Vikings match up 10 times.. it probably is a close to even split on wins.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Gravedigga
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

You do NOT throw a 5 yard screen pass if a defender is between you and the potential receiver is facing you. The receiving player should be motioning away from you and the QB should lead the receiver down field or to open field.

In this case the ball should have been thrown outside to Taylors right arm and mid level, not high and there wasn't anyone around to throw it over. Vikings QB threw a bad pass, big deal. He's not perfect, get over it. Was the play his fault? Taylor SHOULD have caught the ball. Rule one in catching, if you can put your hands on it, you should catch it.

Watch the play by clicking HERE .

I'm not a registered official in any state or anything fancy, but I believe the cause of the Vikings losing the game is on Brad Childress. Not so much Taylor or Vikings QB. Vikings were within FG range and passing instead of running? I understand you play to win the game, but I just think that was bad. 51 passes. 18 rushes for Adrian?

"Cheesey" wrote:

Pretty solid analysis.. 2 of the biggest points you made that are spot on are, "Taylor SHOULD have caught the ball. Rule one in catching, if you can put your hands on it, you should catch it." And, "51 passes. 18 rushes".. Just don't call those plays with AP as your RB. It's not like the Vikings were playing from THAT much behind most of the game.

"Gravedigga" wrote:

i hope they old gray haired fool chokes after he gets fired on Monday.

"Formo" wrote:

Favre is getting fired on Monday????

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Thats not the one I was talking about. He's gonna be too busy picking Packers out of his teeth on Monday to get fired.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Pack93z
14 years ago

Looks to me, 93z, that Dugan's backside/lower back made contact while the defender tried to avoid the contact and ended up diving over Dugan's backside/legs.

I also heard that it's called a 'rolling block' that's taught in training camp. But, I don't know how accurate that is.

I know you are big on the O-Line/trench stuff, but still doesn't look to be the right call. It looks like a tripping type block in normal speed from certain angles. In other angles, looks bad. I can see how it was called, even though my opinion thinks it's a bad one.

"Formo" wrote:

I don't believe it to be a garbage call, I believe it to be a poorly executed block, where he whiffed on the initial contact and then used the last thing he had left to block him.. his legs.

If Harrison doesn't leave the ground on that play, the risk to injury is much higher.. like it or not, he caught him with his legs in a whipping fashion.

If I seen a Packer player in the position.. I call it a penalty just the same..

For those that say it happens weekly.. find me some plays that are called.

Do they consistently call it, they should, you can't use your feet nor legs to cut down a defender. Simply put.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
When it comes to line play, I'll take Shawn's word for it.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago
Again you might see a leg "whip" but it's hard to execute a "whipping" motion as your in the air falling to the ground. If he was already laying on the ground, and "whipped" then 100% it's a penalty. When you are falling to the ground and your legs are wailing around I can't see that as being a trip.

Tripping someone from the side by sliding your leg into theirs is done when you have a base to whip your leg. With no base it's pretty hard to trip or "whip" anything let alone an upside down whip like this was. Show me the rule that says when you fall down you have to keep your legs in a certain manor. He was falling, to the ground, being hurdled and his legs contacted the Defenders. Happens all the time. It was a selective call at a selective time given to a team who 1 week earlier was given a first down when they were clearly short by 6 inches on 4th down. The Steelers have gotten a bunch of bogus calls the last few years so it doesn't surprise me.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I try having a discussion and you fling things left and right, I respond and you go on to a different subject all together?

:ahole:
UserPostedImage