Zero2Cool
14 years ago
OFFENSE
Luckily for the Browns Aaron Rodgers only threw 20 times, completing 75% of them. I say luckily because he averaged one touchdown per five completions. The one that impressed me the most was his quick release to Donald Driver who was in the slot and tore down the field for 71 yards. I think this was the most impressive of the three touchdown throws because it appears Rodgers checked out of a play and into a quick release to his hot read, Driver. Another bonus for Rodgers, he didnt get sacked the whole game! (Write that down on your calendar, it might not happen again this year). Did you know Rodgers QB rating of 155.4 was the highest in franchise history?

Did you happen to catch Mike McCarthys comments on the running game? I think the first thing for Ryan was two weeks in a row we were able to get him up over 20-plus attempts. That helps any running back, just the ability to get into a rhythm said McCarthy. Boy I wish I could say I told you so like I was a genius. However, all I did was state what we all knew. Ryan Grant is not a special running back. I do believe he can provide the threat at the position we need, if given the proper touches.

I like Grant, sort of. I think he has some hidden potential that he showed us in 07. My biggest complaint on him would be the video below. Youll see him run directly into his own lineman. How does this happen? He has his head down while running. If that doesnt bother you, count the Browns on the field, there are only 10 (notice the shadow at the end, I think that's a ref, some will say it's the 11th player). If he is looking up, makes a cut, hes gone for a 86 yard touchdown run!
[youtube]FuCgDXPcOxI[/youtube]

DEFENSE
Charles Woodson had at least one QB pressure, interception and a fumble force. What a man-beast! He feels this could be his year. Not only to reach the Super Bowl, but WIN it. Hes playing like a man possessed. Dont believe me? I ask you this, how many times do you see balls thrown towards Al Harris versus Charles Woodson? Its changed dramatically after the Bengals game. On his QB pressure he showed great agility for a man in this 30s. 30s? Dang, thats OLD!!!

A.J. Hawk, where have you been my man? Way to man up and play like you want to be on the field. Hawk led the defense with eight tackles, three of which for a loss! The most impressive came on a goal line stand where he cut in the A gap and threw his body into Jamal Lewis legs while being blocked as he fell to the ground.

Nick Barnett, did you not celebrate your tackle for a loss because you could have had an interception that would have nullified the three points the Browns would later score on the first drive?

SPECIAL TEAMS
Zero punts for the first three and a half quarters while the starters were in. Sorry special teams, you can sit this one out! With how Brandon Jackson was attempting to return kicks, thank goodness he wasnt called upon often. The man looks like a scared fish in a small fishbowl trying to swim away from a school of piranhas. RUN NORTH!!

ZEROs PRATTLE
Did you see Rodgers yelling at the side line? I dont know what was said, but you could sure as hell tell he wanted the play to be sent in. He was trying to catch the Browns out of position and the play caller, ahem, failed him. Speaking of the play caller, did we use the I-formation more this game than usual?
We had some more aggressivity on the first play of the game when Johnny Jolly got into a scuffle with a Browns lineman. I love that shit! Make sure the other team knows that they might get their hits, but youre going to hit harder and more often!

The Packers have played well the last two weeks and before you start in on the whole it was the Lions and Browns. I say chew on this. The Steelers played both the Lions and Browns before we did and gave up 20 and 14 points respectively where the Packers gave up only 3. This is the NFL and any team can beat any team on any given Sunday.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago
The difference between Grant 07 and since then.. is that in 07 he made the first guy miss. Now he's not making anyone miss. heck he's running into tackles...

But I will say this, when Grant gets the ball more than 15 times the Packers are 4-0. When Grant gets the ball less than 15 times the Packers are 0-2. Make sure the running game are a chance to get into a rhythm and try to keep the play calling more balanced so Allen isn't running straight up the field every snap... also if Lang is in at LT run right at Allen some...

For the defense tell Kampman to put his hand down and rush all game... go back to a 4-3 for this game if you have to but get Kampman rushing in... don't let Peterson beat you but get more pressure on Favre. Make the receivers beat the Packers coverage....

The Packers punting and punt return has been doing pretty bad...

I think this game will be won or lost on how well can the coaches, blockers on how well can they keep pressure off of Rodgers. The Vikings defense has been getting hammered when they haven't been getting pressure/sacks and Rodgers has done great with out pressure and sacks. How much pressure the Vikings can get IMO will decide this game.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
Wow, the Grant video is brutal. You are right: One step to the right, and he's off to the races.

I was really happy with this win, and I agree with all of your points except the one about Brandon Jackson. I thought he ran north-south and got what he could on the kick returns (there were only two). Tramon Williams was dancing around on a couple of those punt returns, but at least he didn't lose yardage on any of them. The punts were high and the cover guys were all over him by the time he made the catch.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
What I see of Grant. He always runs leaning forward, on the play in question, you can see that he is actually prepared for contact when he is going through the line. Which is understandable. How many times in the last two seasons has he made it through the LOS without contact.

Look at his long run in the 4th. He does the same thing, hunches forward and prepares for contact when going through the line. Only this time there is no one to run in to, and he is able to make the first guy miss, 10 yards down field.

Grant runs the way he runs. His big runs in 07' were the same as Sunday. He had a hole and made it to if not pass the LBers before contact. He can make the big ones when that happens. He is not a shifty back. One thing I do like is that when he makes contact, he goes forward. He doesn't fall backwards often. The only benefit of his running style.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
earthquake
14 years ago
Just a quick note here, in that grant play you can see a shadow walk in at the very end of the play, likely a safety playing deep there. Just as far as the 10 men comment goes!

But i totally agree with you there, it was a good play but it made me pretty pissed, it could have been much better, thats the sort of thing a good RB sees and cuts back inside, gets another 5-10 yards at the very least.
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago

Wow, the Grant video is brutal. You are right: One step to the right, and he's off to the races.

I was really happy with this win, and I agree with all of your points except the one about Brandon Jackson. I thought he ran north-south and got what he could on the kick returns (there were only two). Tramon Williams was dancing around on a couple of those punt returns, but at least he didn't lose yardage on any of them. The punts were high and the cover guys were all over him by the time he made the catch.

"Greg C." wrote:

That play was brutal, but overall he was doing a great job of seeing (and hitting) his cutback lanes this week. That cut was beyond the line of scrimmage, so he might have been taking the "one cut and go" zBS philosophy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
14 years ago
No complaints about Grant this week. He averaged over five yards a carry and really was consistent. I know the big run is what everyone wants and I agree, it's something that Grant just can't seem to do, but you need to be able to control the clock and put up five yards and even four yards a carry. That was very impressive IMO. The fact that the Packers were able to pickup basically five yards every time they ran the football. They really grind things out.

I also like to see Rodgers show a little leadership or emotion. The Vikings rallied around Brett Favre in game one of this year and I want the players to rally around Rodgers like Minnesota did and will once again do for Favre. That type of leadership or emotion that he expressed was really cool to see and perhaps it sent a message.
Tezzy
14 years ago
I also want to mention on that play, look at the positioning of the lineman blocking that Grant ends up runing into. The lineman is initially sealing his block to the inside, Grant's right. Near the end you see the defensive player shed back to the left, I believe that Grant took that correctly. I believe he saw the angle of the lineman and appeared to have the seam to his left. I think it was a good play by that defender to stuff it up like that. Would be nice for Grant to stop up, and change directions there at the last moment? Sure, but the way I see that play I don't believe it was read that poorly during the play. My two cents.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

I also want to mention on that play, look at the positioning of the lineman blocking that Grant ends up runing into. The lineman is initially sealing his block to the inside, Grant's right. Near the end you see the defensive player shed back to the left, I believe that Grant took that correctly. I believe he saw the angle of the lineman and appeared to have the seam to his left. I think it was a good play by that defender to stuff it up like that. Would be nice for Grant to stop up, and change directions there at the last moment? Sure, but the way I see that play I don't believe it was read that poorly during the play. My two cents.

"Tezzy" wrote:

Agreed. Grant was running a little to his left, with Lang blocking the LBer across the field left to right. There was a window to cut, right, that would be a huge cut, and complete momentum stopper. He would have to do a 90 degree change of direction.

I would lay odds that had he tried that he would have been swallowed up and ended up with 3 yards less.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Updated the article.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.