Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Brett Favre's return to Green Bay will be 'a real passion play 

Do you want to finish your career here? Peter King

Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, Id probably walk away. Retire. Brett Favre

Whether its a politician or a pro athlete, its hard to hold someone accountable for statements uttered in a different context.

Yet how you choose to interpret Brett Favres dusted-off words from a Sports Illustrated column nine years ago also could determine whether youll openly applaud or brazenly boo the Green Bay Packers legend when he exits the Lambeau Field visitors tunnel on Sunday.

Surely, Favre followers will find comfort in No. 4s affirmation, noting that his devotion to the Packers was so pronounced prior to General Manager Ted Thompsons tenure that he would have happily ridden off into the sunset with a green-and-gold cape tattooed to his back.

For those who feel betrayed by Favres purple reign in Minnesota, his previous give-me-Packers-or-give-me-death insinuation only pushes the knife deeper.

No matter which way you view Sundays proceedings, one thing from this sordid Shakespearean drama is certain.

As a celebrated Friend of Favre since the time No. 4 wore braces, Peter King probably has exchanged more text messages with the future Hall of Famer than anyone in the sports media. And neither he, nor Favre, nor Thompson, nor anybody in Green Bay, Minneapolis or Kiln, Miss., could have predicted that a man synonymous with Titletowns return to prominence would be donning Vikings purple at Lambeau Field.

I think he was positive hed never play for another team. Positive, King said. I never thought there was a question about that, either. I mean, I really thought, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that hed finish his career in Green Bay.

But I also think thats one of the reasons why you just never say never. You never make an absolute statement anymore. Especially with Favre, who we probably all should have figured is a guy you were going to have to rip the uniform off of.

The Favre quote, from a December 2000 column called Out on the Range with Brett Favre, is among several archived entries in Kings new book, Monday Morning Quarterback (Sports Illustrated; 256 pages; $25.95).

Named after his widely read column at Sports Illustrated.com, its a compilation dotted with several intriguing odes to Green Bay from Kings appreciation for Wisconsin hospitality to his fondness for local landmarks like Nickys Lionhead Tavern, the Union Hotel and, of course, Lambeau Field, which he names his favorite NFL stadium.

But make no mistake about it. King often came to our humble neck of the woods for a reason. And to not talk about a certain former quarterback prior to Sundays monumental clash would be a disservice to not only Favres folk-hero status in Wisconsin, but also to the magnitude of his fall from grace among some Packers loyalists.

Its a real passion play, this second game, said King, who also works on NBCs Football Night in America crew. I thought the first one was interesting just because it was Favre playing the Packers. But this second game in Green Bay is going to be very interesting theater.

Now, well find out if all the people who were huge Packers fans will turn the page and either be sort of respectful, and maybe even appreciative of what Favre did, which I doubt will happen in the game. From what Ive gathered from people I know in Green Bay, I think the boo-birds will definitely be out. I kind of think Brett will hear it.

Long accused by fans and fellow journalists of favoring Favre, King addressed his status as a purported apologist both in the book and on the phone, saying, Did I cover a lot of seminal events in recent Packers history that included Brett Favre? Did I celebrate those events and him? Absolutely.

Ive tried to be honest and honorable all these years.

Blemishes and all, Favre allowed King into his circle. The two often had dinner together. Text messages were routinely exchanged. And like everyone else, once retirement reports began leaking, rampant speculation led to several predictions in Kings column ones, that he humorously noted, were wrong every time.

Yet as proof that Favres annual will-he, wont-he drama could eventually erode even his staunchest support base, this latest round with the Vikings led King to write in August, Favres the wishy-washiest player in memory and the Vikings are his enablers. Its ridiculous.

I think a lot of people were surprised by that (comment.) But it was all because of one thing, King said. Two and a half weeks before he came back, or maybe three weeks, he told me on the phone, very emotionally, I cant do it. I want to do this more than anything, but if I come back, Im not going to make it. Ive been working out hard on my own, but it feels like Ive played a game. I just dont think I can do it.

So it was all based on that And look, I absolutely dont want him to fail. But Im just saying, using his words, and then three weeks later he comes back and everybody is like, Oh yeah, yeah, hes healthy it was just disingenuous, both on the part of the Vikings and on the part of Favre.

Because he no longer travels on Sundays due to his NBC studio duties, King wont be in the press box for one of the most eagerly anticipated games in Lambeau Field history.

Hed love to be in the locker room to get reaction from an old friend who has provided him with priceless quotes before. But if the first round in Minnesota was any indication, it might be a mixed bag for whichever side proves the victor fans included.

I think Brett thought it would feel so great after a game like that, but I also think it was a little bit difficult because he has so many friends on that team, King said about talking with Favre in the Metrodome tunnel after the Oct. 5 game in Minneapolis.

Its easy to say, I cant wait to play the Packers, I cant wait to beat them, or whatever he felt deep down inside. But I didnt really sense any of that revenge, that he was so glad to have beaten the Packers. Maybe privately at home he felt that way, but he didnt pass any of that along to me.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.