MontanaBob
15 years ago
I've been gone for several days, not that anyone cares :icon_smile: , down to Albuquerque to pick up my daughter and drive her back here to see some doctors about her neck. I haven't flown in 32 years so I was a bit nervous about this trip. I left Spokane WA early Monday morning and it was fine. We passed over Pullman WA and I spotted my Granddaughters house....bright red metal roof with a big WSU painted in gray on it. (She and her housemates had nothing else to do one weekend.)

Just past Pullman the weather turned ugly and we hit storms and high winds even at 33,000 feet. Two ladies in front of me threw up, one of the overhead luggage doors flew open, and the guy next to me simply said "wake me when we get to Salt Lake City." At one point I looked out and saw the right wing about 15 feet above us and thought, "aren't the wings supposed to be fairly level?"

We got over Salt Lake City and damned if we wern't put in a holding pattern. Finally we head in and landed, but I thought we landed in the lake there was so much spray coming up.

The final leg from Salt Lake City to Albuquerque was fine...nice weather. The biggest laugh I got was just as we were landing. The lady in front of me was a school adminstrator and was heading home from a conference in Utah. She said we would be coming in right over a parochial school and we should be able to see the kids....it was lunch time recess. Sure enough, about a block from the end of the runway is the school. And one little kid was his own welcoming committee for Delta Flight 1441. As we went overhead at about 150 feet he proudly gave us the bent arm, one finger salute.

Now that was New Mexico hospitality at it's finest!! :thumbright:
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
dfosterf
15 years ago
1975. I was a young L/cpl in an 81mm mortar platoon. Flew off a LSD (landing ship;Dock- not the other one) off the coast of Spain. Ch-46, the Marine version of the Chinook helicopter. Going to spend about a week in the field, no biggy, usual grunt stuff. Aircraft hummin' along nicely as Ch-46's go, probably at about 5000 feet guesstimate. Cruisin' along, remember weapons pointing downward, everyone just sorta lookin' at each other, blah, blah blah. No headsets for us, no internal communication, we're just grunts along for the ride. Power gone. Engines silent. Drop like a stone... CH-46 has the glide ratio of a safe. We just look at each other... I reckon' it to be a macho-jarhead thing, I was scared beyond explanation. About 10 seconds (estimate) prior to impact, on come the engines, aircraft vibrates to the point that all blurs in my vision, noise barely endurable, aircraft suddenly slows rate of descent literally while able to see out the opposite window landscape. This is how I was introduced to the concept of auto-rotation, a methodology employed for "rapid vertical envelopment" to avoid ground-fire, etc. Woulda been kinda nice for the wing-wipers to let us know, IMHO. Scared of flying? Every single (hundreds, and hundreds) time, in every kind of aircraft, and STILL refuse to let anyone know... We're (jarheads) as dumb as we look.
Cheesey
15 years ago
GREAT stories!
I'll have to tell mine.
Back in 2003, my wife's best friend Mary Beth passed away. Bill (MB's husband) wanted us there for the funeral, which was in Montana. I have flown a few times, but my wife had not. I kept telling her how easy and safe it was. Well, we flew from Milwaukee to Minneapolis to our next flight. We had TERRIBLE turbulence the whole way to Minny. People in the plane that flew every week for their jobs said they NEVER saw such a bad flight. The landing......well....we just kind of "dropped" out of the sky, and hit like a rock on the runway. Then, because our flight was running late, we had to RUN to our connecting flight. We JUST made it.........then, we are sitting there, and the captain comes on and says something to the affect of "The piece of equiptment that warns us how close we are to the mountains isn't working, so we have to have a technician fix it". We sit there for about 30 minutes, and the captain comes on again "The tech can't fix it, so we have to leave this plane and go onto the one next to us"........we grab our gear, and just start to leave the plane, when he comes on again "Scratch that idea.......that plane isn't big enough. We are gonna have the tech remove what we need from THAT plane and put it into this one.....please sit back down". So the guy does that, and the captain says "We're ready to leave now!". We get out onto the runway........the co-pilot comes back, looks out the windows, goes back up front........captain comes on again "We have to go back, the wings need de-icing". So....we go back.....they de-ice one side........the de-icing truck drives away......captain again "The de-icing truck ran dry....we have to wait for another one to come out and finish the job". By now, my poor wife is hitting me......over and over and over........we FINALLY took off after that. Over 90 minutes late.
The flight home was PERFECT. We even got back over 30 minutes early.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.