ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
To be fair, while guys like IM have been on this for a while (and I'm going to say that last week's game was vindication of his concern, though I'm sure he'd have much preferred a win), the fact that more of the "rational" posters are coming around to the same conclusion is telling.

Look - it's football. You can parse it out logically all you want, but the bottom line in football is that players' performance is on the coaches. You can't fire or cut players due to the competitive financial ramifications - sure, it's done at times, but they're somewhat rare and normally involve players who don't have a ton of cash attached to them. The coaches are paid to get the most out of players; the head coach is paid to pick the right assistant/position coaches to get that done. Fair or not, logical or not, Mike's job is to field a competitive team that plays with passion and consistency - I don't think anyone who's rational and at least somewhat objective can claim he's doing that job well, at this point.

Last year I gave him a pass because of the godawful injury situation(s), but this team is - for the most part - the one he wanted on the field. The penalties, lack of discipline, dismal play on the o-line, inability to game-plan to mitigate those line issues - that is, in fact, on the head coach.

I will grant you that firing him now is probably extreme - but I can't imagine that anyone but the most casual fan wasn't furious after seeing that game. Once the season's over, though, assuming they don't by some miracle go on a tear and right the ship, I think he needs to go.

I'm sure he's trying - I know he's frustrated, as evidenced by him now going after the kid who's been killing himself out on the field to get his job done. But the effort isn't bearing fruit, and at some point you have to wonder if he's lost the ability to get through to the team. That won't do.
blank
longtimefan
14 years ago

But RP these are the same mistakes over and over that are happening..

Tell me, in any type of job, if employees ( new ones every year) are making same mistakes over and over again, and his/her boss is always saying I will get it fixed and its never fixed..

The next step would be to fire that boss or no?

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Longtime...

First of all, it is very difficult to make a reasonable comparison of an NFL BOSS to a performance of a "boss" in any other type of job."

Do not get me wrong. I understand what you are saying. In the world of regular business, the performance of employees is directly connected to the performance of management. and the leaders of that organization.

I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a bad employee. There can only be bad management. But that is in the regular business world at the Bank of America, at Kinkos, at Sub Way, or at Wal-Mart.

That is because management in any other business has much more time to work with what is going wrong over and over again. The average (Player In Any Other Business.) has about 3 months or 480 Hours to prove themselves and be evaluated by management when in action.

In the NFL... Coaches have perhaps what? 7.5 minutes a week of actual performance on film to evaluate an employees performance.

I state 7.5 minutes..because some of the best players in the NFL were found to be great in action, and not in practice. They got game action, and were game performers.

I guess what I am saying is.. the analogy of "Any Other Business" does not cut it when comparing it to the NFL.

There are many GM and Head Coach tandems that were so close to putting it all together, but did not get the opportunity to review that extra 75 minutes of game film to put it all together, because they were fired.

You can not compare the NFL to any other business.

RP

l

"longtimefan" wrote:

I normally side with your stance but that was from money side you cant compare the two worlds..

But I think this time you can..

We are talking about performance of individuals in a management area...

This was their 8th game this year, so if we take your 7.5 minutes thats a whole HOUR of tape..If they cant judge a guy by that then there really is an issue...

but main point is that it doesnt matter who they are putting in, its the same stupid ass mistakes week in and week out..
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
This is the NFL and it stands for Not For Long and has a brilliant concept of what have you done for me lately?
Mike McCarthy ... failed me.

I think he has the talent, the skill and the ability to be a very good coach. I fear he is too stubborn to make necessary changes and adaptions. I hope my fear is unjustified.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

This is the NFL and it stands for Not For Long and has a brilliant concept of what have you done for me lately?

Mike McCarthy ... failed me.

I think he has the talent, the skill and the ability to be a very good coach. I fear he is too stubborn to make necessary changes and adaptions. I hope my fear is unjustified.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

If this article is to be believed, he may be about to try.

Lang may replace Colledge @ guard this week. 

Personally, I'd prefer it if he'd replace Barbre, but getting him on the field at all is a good start.
blank
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Something that bothers me is I am wondering how during this offseason TJ Lang couldn't win the starting spot at RT from Alan Barbre yet here he is during actual games looking better than Clifton on the left side. It makes me wonder how many decent players we have actually had just sitting on the bench because the coaches "didn't think they were ready" or "didn't see enough in practice" or (insert some other lame excuse for making a poor personnel decision).

Alan Barbre is just an absolute wreck this year. Inexperience comes into play but you expect some improvement game by game. Every game he lets a guy go by him without even hardly touching them and usually multiple times. What a monster diffirence it was against Tampa between when Tauscher was in there and when he left from injury.

Until I see every player in live game action I no longer trust this coaching staffs ability to play the right players. At some point you have to give up on Barbre and just sign a FA or give Breno a shot. Perhaps Barbre can make an impact at guard or something.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Well Porky is one of the most respected members here. He is also very level headed and very objective. And even HE said Mike McCarthy should be fired. Is he being too emotional or irrational?

"IronMan" wrote:

Yes, he was IMO. Saying things like we will miss the playoffs... that's not Porky being objective. 8 games left to go - that is a long, long time in the NFL, and Porky knows this.

I make it a point to read out porky's stuff, but by his post you would have thought that we were out played from the first second of the game. No, we were totally outmatched and lost the game in the final 13 minutes. The line actually held up the first three quarters... the running game was going... the D was doing just okay... the game should have been in the bag.

Porky was very emotional IMO, and that's just fine. I don't blame him, I too was just as emotional.

As for Mike McCarthy ... I find it amazing that he has first time starters in Barbre, Sittion (first full year), and potentially Lang... you have a coach in OC Joe Philbin who was recommended by our previous OL coach, who has worked with young o-linemen at Iowa and developed them into good prospects, and is a coach who (as Bedard points out) Kirk Ferentz swears by.

You'd think he'd tell Philbin to get involved in that mess of an o-line, and limit the duties of our current OL-coach. The situation demands it.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.