Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

[img_r]http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/1872/packerscowboysrodgers.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY Aaron Rodgers walked into the Green Bay Packers locker room Sunday evening and found Ryan Gran, his teammate, friend and running back, waiting for him.

I said, Thats a hell of a way to stay poised, throughout the ups and downs. Wow, Grant recounted following the Packers must-win 17-7 triumph over the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field. He was great. I told him that, as soon as we got in here. But thats what we expect from him. Thats the type of player Aaron is.

Not only did Rodgers survive yet another week of punishment on and off the field he was sacked four more times, running his painful NFL-leading total to 41 on the season, during the game, and was lambasted on the national NFL preview shows before the game he also delivered when his team needed him most: Clinging to a 3-0 lead entering the fourth quarter.

Taking over at his own 20-yard line, Rodgers directed a 15-play, 80-yard march that at up 8 minutes 36 seconds of clock and ended in his 1-yard touchdown sneak to push the Packers lead to 10-0 with 13:14 to play in the game.

Along the way, Rodgers connected on three critical third-down completions, allowed Grant to do some of the work (five carries, 16 yards), got a little help from a pair of Orlando Scandrick penalties and overcame one of the four sacks he absorbed.

I thought it was a big moment in the game. I really thought it illustrated how you want to play, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of the drive. You want to run the football, you want to stay in favorable down-and-distance.

Aaron had a lot on his plate. I told him earlier in the week that this was the most comprehensive game plan I think we ever have thrown a quarterback. I'm not trying to dramatize here I think you know that's not my personality but we had a lot on his plate. When you make adjustments and you're playing as much as we did, as far as protections and different calls, we did some new things this week. There wasn't a lot of time to get things repped. There were a lot of adjustments that carried over to Aaron's responsibility. So, from a management standpoint, I thought he did a very good job.

After the first half, that is, when the Packers converted just two third-down situations, suffered a pair of sacks, committed eight penalties on offense (seven enforced) and punted five times, with only Mason Crosbys 48-yard field goal as the half expired to show for their efforts.

It was a struggle, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin admitted. We had a bunch of penalties called on us, which is not good; had a couple negative runs; had some sacks, per usual. It was a battle.

But their quarterback emerged battle-tested. Employing a short passing game that had been in short supply of late, Rodgers got the crucial drive going with back-to-back completions to Donald Driver. Then, facing a third-and-11 from the Packers 34, Rodgers checked at the line of scrimmage and made a terrific throw to Jennings, who lined up in the right slot and beat Scandrick for a 14-yard gain.

Sacked on the very next play when DeMarcus Ware came unblocked, Rodgers ended up in another tough spot at third-and-14 from the Packers 45. This time, he zipped a 17-yard completion across the middle to tight end Donald Lee, standing in against a blitz while making the throw.

I told Donald Lee in the huddle right before that play, I said, Make sure you get across the middle of the field. And he ran a very nice route and made a good catch in traffic, Rodgers said. Those are obviously two big first downs for us and kept the drive going and kept our defense off the field and eventually got us a touchdown.

Even after Lees catch, though, the Packers still had work to do. Facing yet another key third down third-and-6 from the Dallas 8 Rodgers found Jordy Nelson for a 7-yard gain, setting up his touchdown plunge on the next play.

For the game, Rodgers finished 8 of 10 with six first downs and a touchdown (131.7 rating) on third-down passes and 25 of 386 for 189 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions (91.1 rating) for the game.

We didnt invent a whole lot of new plays today, but if you do them out of a little different look, (it) adds to what the quarterback has to get done in the huddle. Mentally, its something to get used to, Philbin said. Luckily he practiced all week (despite his ongoing foot problems) and executed it when it came game-time.

I think he managed the game pretty well. He made some nice throws on that drive, real nice throws. The one to Greg, the one to Donald Lee was a big throw and catch. I think hes stood in very well considering everything throughout the course of the year.

Asked if the game-plan had called for more quick, short throws Sunday, Philbin confessed, Maybe a little bit. We felt they had good pass-rush ability, so we may have had a few more (short passes). Normal down-and-distance, maybe we had a few quicker throws in there.

And Rodgers, for the most part, delivered. He played as if he had something to prove, as if hed watched the pregame shows on FOX, CBS and ESPN, where CBS analyst Charley Casserly claimed 60 percent of the Packers 37 sacks had been Rodgers fault and ESPNs Merril Hoge called Rodgers the Reggie Bush of quarterbacks because hes always looking for the big play.

He hadnt watched, of course, and after the game, when asked about the criticism hed received during the week and on Sunday, he demurred.

It feels good. I think youve got to give credit where credits due, though, and thats to the defense, he said. They played a great game today and shut down a good offense, a very good quarterback. (They) gave us good field position a couple times.

Our offense did just enough. We struggled at times in the first half, and in the second half we came up with the big drive, converted a couple third-and-more-than-10 and kept that drive alive and went down and were able to get a touchdown.

UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
That scramble he had where he avoided a big hit for a first down was awesome
nyrpack
14 years ago
there are times when he holds it too long, but he tries to make things happen, ill take a sack over a bad throw for a pick any time !!
jimmy b.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Taking over at his own 20-yard line, Rodgers directed a 15-play, 80-yard march that at up 8 minutes 36 seconds of clock and ended in his 1-yard touchdown sneak to push the Packers lead to 10-0 with 13:14 to play in the game.

"Green Bay Press Gazette" wrote:

Gotta love the skillz of the Gazette's editing staff.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Gotta love the skillz of the Gazette's editing staff.

"Green Bay Press Gazette" wrote:

Why you're talking about the Gazettes editing staff in this thread?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Correction, the ESPN Milwaukee editorial staff. 😉
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
At first I thought this was about the defense. They definitely came through when it counted. Our offense struggled early and it was important that we didn't let the cowboys score. I don't think we win if they score early
agopackgo4
14 years ago

there are times when he holds it too long, but he tries to make things happen, ill take a sack over a bad throw for a pick any time !!

"nyrpack" wrote:

Or a throw out of bounds!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (51m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.