Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Wynn's injury gives running back job as Rodgers' protector 
[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*160/mjs-packers16-22-of-hoffman.jpg-packers16.jpg[/img_r]On those occasions when Green Bay Packers running back Brandon Jackson would get run over during training camp pass-rushing drills, there would be snickers from those who were wondering what a 5-foot-10, 210-pounder was doing trying to block the likes of Nick Barnett and Desmond Bishop.

Nobody is laughing now, least of all Dallas defensive end Anthony Spencer, who had the misfortune of getting chip-blocked all the way to the seat of his pants during the Packers' 17-7 victory at Lambeau Field Sunday.

"That was probably one of the best chips I've seen in a long time - a long time," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "It was picture perfect. Spencer is a good player, a really good player. Brandon was able to take him off his feet. De-cleat him.

"We've had some good chips, but I'm talking about de-cleating a guy, putting him down.

"I'm serious, it was impressive."

It isn't that one block that earned Jackson the role of quarterback Aaron Rodgers' personal protector on third downs, but rather a series of them he has made over the course of this season that has earned him the responsibility.

For a team that has allowed an NFL-high 41 sacks, it hardly seems relevant to be talking about one of the members of the pass protection team, but when you consider where the Packers might be without Jackson's knack for picking up linebackers and knocking defensive ends off balance, you understand the significance.

Against the Cowboys on Sunday, Jackson was perfect in his blitz pick-ups, stuffing veteran linebacker Keith Brooking four times on rushes up the middle.

One came on the 17-yard pass Rodgers made to tight end Donald Lee on third and 13 during the Packers' crucial 80-yard touchdown drive in the fourth quarter. The other came one series later when Rodgers hit tight end Spencer Havner for a 2-yard touchdown on third and goal.

Miss those blocks and Rodgers probably gets sacked.

"I feel like it's big because that determines whether it's a first down or a turnover, and that can change the whole momentum of the game," Jackson said of his blocking. "When I'm out there, I'm hyped on third down. It's a passion. You have to block with a passion. Just seeing the quarterback throw the ball and not get hit, completing a first down, I feel like I've done my job."

It is not every back's dream to be commissioned to pick off blitzing linebackers, and it certainly isn't Jackson's. But it is the job that is available for the 2007 second-round pick, whose injury-filled start to his career has left him in this spot.

In fact, were it not for a season-ending knee injury to running back DeShawn Wynn, the unit's best pass blocker, Jackson might still be fighting for playing time. Stuck behind starter Ryan Grant and recent pickup Ahman Green, Jackson has poured his soul into a job some view as important as any on the football field.

"He's taken it to another level," fullback John Kuhn said. "It's one of those things where you really have to concentrate, take your time and do the film study. I think he's got the hang of that this year."

The fact Jackson has been able to do it so well since taking over for Wynn against Detroit on Oct. 18 is as much a testament to Bennett's coaching as it is to Jackson's commitment. Those hot, summer days when Jackson was taking his lumps aren't a distant memory, so it is an accomplishment that in five games, he has not allowed a single sack.

"He did (struggle), he did," Bennett recalled. "He had a couple of blocks that weren't up to our standards or his standards. His standards are really high. He really takes pride in it. But he's playing with the passion and energy and enthusiasm. He brings that.

"It's one of those situations where that's his current role. Can he do more? Certainly. He can play a normal down and distance. He's an every-down back, but this is his role and he takes pride in it."

Since entering the NFL, Jackson has put on about 10 pounds, which goes a long way in blocking defenders such as the 241-pound Brooking. At 5-10, 218, he's just tall enough and strong enough not to be considered a scat back.

His power is in his upper legs and hips, and he uses his good balance and heavy base to square up on defenders and shock them with a two-hand punch. There are more than a few ways to screw up that block, Bennett said, like keeping your eyes down or not locking your elbows to your side or setting too far away from the rusher.

The results are the comedy of errors that Jackson experienced in his first two training camps. You either end up on your butt or blocking air as the defender runs past.

"It was a challenge with my technique and where the blitz was coming from," Jackson said. "Now, it's my third year, it's studying film and understanding, taking coaching.

"And it's the size of your heart."

The Packers will find out exactly how big his heart is this weekend when the San Francisco 49ers and their fast-blitzing linebackers come to Lambeau. The first priority on the checklist is Pro Bowl middle linebacker Patrick Willis, who at 6-1, 240, might be the closest thing to the complete package since his coach, Mike Singletary, played the game.

There's no getting around the matchup. If the 49ers blitz Rodgers, they'll probably try to get Willis or veteran Takeo Spikes one-on-one with Jackson, figuring he won't be able to handle their power.

Bennett has no doubt Jackson is up for the challenge, nor do his teammates.

Jackson sure can't account for how the offensive line will play but he can assure that there will be at least one guy between Rodgers and a head-hunting linebacker.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
Good to see Jackson getting some love. I think he's underappreciated by both the coaching staff and the fans. The title of the article doesn't give him proper credit, though. He is not playing because of Wynn's injury. Wynn was the #2 RB to start the season only because Jackson was injured at the time.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Wynn was the #2 RB to start the season only because Jackson was injured at the time.

"Greg C." wrote:

I have to disagree with that. Wynn has more talent and if he could stay healthy could be a good RB.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

Wynn was the #2 RB to start the season only because Jackson was injured at the time.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I have to disagree with that. Wynn has more talent and if he could stay healthy could be a good RB.

"Greg C." wrote:

I've never seen a whole lot out of Wynn even when he was healthy. He had his chances early this season and did nothing. Jackson was a very solid third down back for us last season, and he's done pretty well this year too, although now Ahman Green is taking away some of his playing time.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
The only time I've seen Jackson do well is in what some call garbage time or on plays that are third and forever and he gets half of it. He's good at receiving the ball.

I think Wynn has more TD's and that says a lot since the guy hasn't played a full season yet, heck, I don't think he's made it past mid season.

I think Wynn is more talent, hands down, most people agree as the coaches have said that Wynn is the most gifted RB on the roster, however, he can't stay on the active roster.

I'd like to see Wynn gone this year. Jackson I think is a disappointment, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on him yet. When he gets the ball on a more regular basis usually he gets better.

Sound familiar? Sure would be nice if the Packers could find a RB who could stay healthy and that the coaches could trust dishing out 20+ touches a game to. Grant can handle the carries, but can't catch. Wynn, injury here and there and every where. Jackson, seems to be nicked up all of the time too.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

Sure would be nice if the Packers could find a RB who could stay healthy and that the coaches could trust dishing out 20+ touches a game to. Grant can handle the carries, but can't catch. Wynn, injury here and there and every where. Jackson, seems to be nicked up all of the time too.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Grant often gets over 20 touches in a game. I think he gets more than the feature backs on most teams. He's not a great back, but he's been pretty durable. I read recently that Grant had two drops after having 19 passes thrown his way, which is not too bad. He's not a natural receiver, though. He's kind of stiff. He's not good at catching the ball in stride. I think Jackson is much better in that regard.

A for Wynn, he is gifted, but with all his injuries and problems staying in shape, he hasn't been able to reach is potential. When he played this season, he looked kind of slow to me. I didn't see the burst that I saw from him in 2007.
blank
nyrpack
14 years ago
lets just hope he doesnt get hurt throwing a block!!
jimmy b.
nerdmann
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

I like Wynn too, but I think he'd be a great FB. Wynn and Quinn. That's who I'd like to see.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

The only time I've seen Jackson do well is in what some call garbage time or on plays that are third and forever and he gets half of it. He's good at receiving the ball.

I think Wynn has more TD's and that says a lot since the guy hasn't played a full season yet, heck, I don't think he's made it past mid season.

I think Wynn is more talent, hands down, most people agree as the coaches have said that Wynn is the most gifted RB on the roster, however, he can't stay on the active roster.

I'd like to see Wynn gone this year. Jackson I think is a disappointment, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on him yet. When he gets the ball on a more regular basis usually he gets better.

Sound familiar? Sure would be nice if the Packers could find a RB who could stay healthy and that the coaches could trust dishing out 20+ touches a game to. Grant can handle the carries, but can't catch. Wynn, injury here and there and every where. Jackson, seems to be nicked up all of the time too.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Wynn didn't look as good this year carrying the ball as he has in the past. He's got skills though. It;s almost like he was trying to hard.
Great at picking up blitzes though. Even better than Bjack. Wynn seems to have overcome that immaturity thing.
Bjack is great at changing direction, though. He's way better than Grant at that. Dude can cut on a dime.
I think Ted Thompson is due to hit on a stud RB in this draft. Just a feeling I get.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (9h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.