Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04FDcFvgdl5zK/340x.jpg[/img_r]The Packers have yet to have all five wide receivers active for a game this season, and that will likely continue Sunday at Tampa Bay with James Jones doubtful with a knee injury. But Jones' absence should be alleviated by the return of wide receiver Ruvell Martin, who missed the last two games with a finger injury.

Martin was not on the injury report for the first time this season and participated fully in all three practices this week. After wearing a club-like cast to protect the finger the past few weeks, Martin was down to just a smaller splint during Friday's practice.

"He caught the ball well today," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think he's relieved just to have the club off his hand. They went with some form of brace and the one they used today, it's actually going to be a lot smaller during the game."

Martin admitted it was a strange feeling to finally play without the club on his hand, but said he isn't concerned about the adjustment to live action Sunday.

"It was just a little different because I got used to not using my left hand," Martin said. "I got used to that after two weeks of doing that, but I don't expect that to last very long at all.

"I went out and caught some extra balls after practice and it's coming around. It feels fine, no issues with it at all."

While saying it was difficult to miss games at Detroit and vs. Dallas, Martin said by taking time off the hope is that the injury will not linger for the entire season.

"If I would have continued on playing with it, the doctor said it would not have got better," Martin said. "It would have continued getting worse or stayed the same, but now that I have had the two or three weeks of basically rest on it, it should continue on to get better even though I'm playing."

Jones might look to take the same approach with his knee injury, initially sustained in the preseason at Denver. After missing the season opener against Minnesota, he started at Detroit and caught four passes for 29 yards and a touchdown.

Jones re-injured the knee in the first quarter last Sunday against Dallas, returned briefly in the second quarter, but missed most of the second half.

"I need to make sure I am 100 percent," Jones said. "That's the main goal right now, make sure I am 100 percent so when I get back out there on that football field I'm not thinking about my knee when I am running routes and things like that."

Harris update
[ul]Head Coach Mike McCarthy said cornerback Al Harris will be sidelined at least three to four weeks with the spleen injury he suffered in last Sunday's game vs. Dallas, but added that doctors believe the injury will heal on its own.

McCarthy said Harris would likely start doing some form of conditioning work Monday, and then would have more tests in the coming weeks. With speculation earlier in the week that Harris could be out for the season, the possibility of a return in '08 was welcome news.

"First, you worry about him personally," McCarthy said. "Just the number of conversations that Al and I had throughout Monday, it was tough to see someone go through what he was going through, never been hurt and really not feeling like he shouldn't be able to play.

"Once we crossed over that barrier and moved into gathering as much information, really, injuries like this go back to a personal nature. You're just glad it's not anything that could be life-threatening or as serious as it possibly could be."

This Sunday will be the first game Harris has missed in his 11-year career, ending a streak of 175 straight games (including playoffs) played. Second-year cornerback Tramon Williams will get the start in his place.[/ul]

Hot and cold
[ul]Sunday will likely be just the second game in McCarthy's tenure as head coach where the temperature is 80 degrees or higher.

From his time on the coaching staff in New Orleans, McCarthy has now dealt with both ends of the weather spectrum. He said he believes the adjustment is greater for a southern team heading north than vice versa.

"I can recall being in New Orleans, and we played a game in Cincinnati," McCarthy said. "We had to win one of three games to get in the playoffs, and we had favorable records to the three teams we played.

"We played in Cincinnati and it was like 34 degrees, and (Saints head coach) Jim Haslett and I, we're both from Pittsburgh, and I'm not lying to you, I looked at him during the game and said, 'Are you cold?' And he goes, 'I'm freezing my butt off.' It felt like it was 50 below, and it was 34 degrees outside."[/ul]

Old friends on opposite sidelines
[ul]McCarthy and Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden will face each other for the first time Sunday as head coaches.

The pair worked together at the University of Pittsburgh on Paul Hackett's staff in 1991, McCarthy as assistant quarterbacks coach and Gruden as wide receivers coach.

"Jon is a good man," McCarthy said. "We had a lot of fun the year we spent together."

McCarthy took over coaching the wide receivers in '92 for the Panthers after Gruden left to join the Packers' staff under Mike Holmgren, where he spent three seasons.

"I'll never forget it (time with the Packers)," Gruden said. "I've still got some really good friends there. Every once in a while when we get a cold draft of wind through the ceiling here in the middle of February I think about those old days in Green Bay.

"I had a great time and great memories. I'm really proud to be associated with that organization."[/ul]

Injury/participation update
[ul]In addition to Jones, safety Atari Bigby (hamstring), fullback Korey Hall and running back Kregg Lumpkin (hamstring) are doubtful for Sunday.

McCarthy said Aaron Rouse will start at strong safety if Bigby is unable to play.

Listed as probable are tackle Chad Clifton (knees), safeties Nick Collins (back) and Rouse (knee), guard Josh Sitton (knee) and cornerback Charles Woodson (toe).

Defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee), who was not on the injury report on Wednesday or Thursday, was added on Friday but is probable for Sunday.

For Tampa Bay, wide receiver Joey Galloway (foot) is out and linebacker Derrick Brooks (hamstring) is questionable. Kicker Matt Bryant, whose infant son passed away earlier in the week, is also listed as questionable.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
Great news. Ruvell is such a force with his size. Not to mention he has improved greatly. Hope to see him and Aaron hook up a few times tomorrow.
Greg C.
15 years ago
Ruvell is one of Rodgers' best friends on the team, and supposedly they developed great rapport while working on the scout team. I would love to see Ruvell make a few big catches. With Jones hurt and Nelson still very green, we need him to step up.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
I like Martin......i hope he gives us a BIG boost today.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Sitton is probable. Let's hope over the next week or so, he can crack the starting lineup.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
15 years ago
Where was Martin today??
Mortfini
15 years ago
never mind Martin Dodd where were u in ya fantasy football not playing a qb and a wr should (touches wood) make it easy for me 2 win 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.