Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

The Green Bay Packers hired Mike McCarthy as coach in 2006 in part for what General Manager Ted Thompson called his Pittsburgh toughness.

McCarthy, who returns to his hometown on Sunday with the Packers, grew up in the Greenfield neighborhood in Pittsburgh, part of the high school football hotbed of western Pennsylvania.

But what is Pittsburgh tough? And is McCarthy it?

Well, a look at McCarthy as a football and basketball player at the old Bishop Boyle High School in Pittsburgh might lend a clue.

According to football teammates, McCarthy was a physical, aggressive tight end who blocked well, was reliable on assignments and though not fast, had excellent hands. On the basketball court, he was an undersized forward who shot well from the wing, crashed the boards hard and played smart. In both sports, he was a worker and all business.

Didnt do a lot of talking. He was a man of action, said Ed McCallister, a basketball teammate of McCarthys who also briefly played football at Bishop Boyle. He was rough and physical, and he was skilled. He was athletic, obviously, and he was very competitive. He had a fire to him. I wouldnt call it a temper, Id call it a very competitive disposition. If you were off the court talking like you and I are, hes one of the nicest guys in the world. Youd be amazed, once you get on the court, the change.

A coachs personality filters down to his team in one way or another, but not always in the way teams expect. Former Packers GM Ron Wolf, for instance, hired Ray Rhodes in 1999 to rekindle the Packers toughness, and Rhodes produced anything but a tough team in his one season.

McCarthys Pittsburgh-learned toughness has shown in the Packers in some ways through four seasons. He had much more success than the previous coaching staff with reining in quarterback Brett Favre in 2006 and 2007 because he was more willing to confront Favre on his decision-making. That almost surely was a factor in Favres interception total dropping from 29 in 2005 to 18 in McCarthys first season, then to 15 in 2007.

This season, the Packers have toughed out a few close games in the fourth quarter, including after nearly losing a big lead against Baltimore two weeks ago and blowing a 13-point advantage against Chicago last Sunday. Against Baltimore, the Ravens two third-quarter touchdowns cut the Packers lead to three points, but the Packers won 27-14. Chicago led 14-13 going into the fourth quarter; the Packers won 21-14.

A hard-working, grinding guy, is how Randy Zilko, who was a running back at Bishop Boyle, described his teammate McCarthy as a high school football player. Good guy, good athlete, good teammate.

But in other ways, the Pittsburgh toughness hasnt manifested itself on the field.

In McCarthys four seasons as coach, the Packers havent had the kind of punishing run game he wants. This year, Green Bay ranks No. 13 in the 32-team NFL in rushing yards and No. 14 in yards per carry.

Defensively, in McCarthys first three seasons, though the Packers were physical in pass coverage at cornerback, they werent particularly stout against the run. They never ranked higher than No. 13 in rushing defense, and last season finished a disastrous No. 26.

That might have changed when McCarthy hired Dom Capers in January to coordinate his defense. Capers 3-4 scheme has been more physical and aggressive in the front seven against the run and rushing the passer. The Packers go into Sundays game against the Steelers with the No. 2 rushing defense in the NFL.

The defense is really the personality of Mike, said Dan Harris, who was offensive coordinator at Baker University in Kansas for the two seasons McCarthy played there. Its just a strong, hard-nosed, good-work-ethic type of defense.

McCarthy has talked about wanting the defense to be the identify of his team since he became coach, but hes ended up fielding offensive-oriented teams until this season, when the units have been more even.

McCarthy, who graduated from Bishop Boyle in 1981, grew up watching the Steelers teams of the 1970s and early 1980s, led by the famed Steel Curtain defensive line.

I know my history (is) as an offensive coach, McCarthy said Wednesday, but clearly when I became a head coach, I did not want to be known as a former quarterback coach that was a head coach. It definitely starts with defense. Thats always been my vision, and we feel like weve made strides towards that this year definitely. I think thats just part of growing up in western Pennsylvania.

The Packers penalty problems also raise a question. Harris said McCarthy wasnt penalized much as a player at Baker, but the Packers led the league in penalties and penalty yards last year and lead the league through 13 games this season. Is it a sign that McCarthy isnt tough enough on his team?

That surprises me, too, because thats not Mike McCarthy, and that has to be eating on him, Harris said. I see that watching the games. Mikes always got squinted eyes and a frustrated look (after a penalty), but then hes right back looking at the play sheet saying, What do I have to do now to get out of this mess?

McCarthy runs the Packers offense, and if the tough part of his personality hasnt filtered into the teams run game, the cerebral and detail-oriented part of his approach is a characteristic in the passing game.

In his two seasons at Baker, an NAIA school, McCarthy was a starting tight end for a run-oriented team that played for the national championship in his senior season. McCarthy caught 17 passes, including seven touchdowns, in his two seasons and was a key blocker because of his great upper-body strength and attention to detail.

Back then, it was 16-mm film, took forever to rewind and look at it, Harris said. But he took a lot of time to analyze his opponents. We had a pretty good offensive line, our preparation we did a good job analyzing opponents, but Mike was above and beyond that and was really good at making adjustments on the field. Mike almost was like a coach on the field on Saturday afternoons, Saturday nights. He could make adjustments, make line calls, do a lot of communication that really helped us a lot. Great blocker and very knowledgeable about the game of football.

When McCarthy went into coaching as a graduate assistant at Fort Hays State in Kansas, he worked on defense. He was going to take over that side of the ball in his second season when he received a graduate assistant's job at the University of Pittsburgh under coach Paul Hackett. Thats where he learned the West Coast offense and started on a career path that led to tutoring quarterbacks in that scheme.

McCarthy was at Pitt from 1989 to 1992, then moved to the NFLs Kansas City Chiefs. Now, he returns to Pittsburgh for the first time as Packers coach for a regular-season game. Its a business trip except for the three hours or so hell spend Saturday night at a Christmas dinner with his family.

But it also will be an extra-special game in his football-obsessed hometown.

Thats his stomping ground, thats his home turf, Harris said. I know he grew up being a (Steelers) fan, so thats got to be emotional.

"But one thing Mike can do is control his emotions real well and guide them in the right direction. Hell probably internalize that feeling about the game and not let it be a big deal with the team. Hes very aware of how he has to keep that team focused and not let it bother them.

"But down deep in his heart and soul, theres got to be a powerful sense of 'This is an important game for me personally, and Im going to keep it that way, just personal.'

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
Looking at Mike McCarthy does not inspire confidence that he is a tough coach.
But I have to admire the man and his coaching staff for keeping the players from falling right off the edge of the earth following the Tampa Bay debacle.
Instead of folding their tents Mike McCarthy, his staff and the players stepped up to the challenge nad have produced a 5 game winning streak.
Weaker men might have thrown in the towel at that point.

I still think Wisconsin and Upper Michigan guys are tougher than Pittsburgh guys.
14 years ago
How odd Kevin, I read this literally a minute before you posted it.

*Cue eery music*

McCarthy might not have the look of a disciplinarian, but dogonnit I bet he is.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
millertime
14 years ago
If he's so tough he needs to be cracking down on our guys for their penalties. He definitely doesn't look that intimidating. As long as your not in between him and a buffet.
RaiderPride
14 years ago
I have no idea what Mike is like in the room, at the half, at the end of the game, or in the film room. For all I know he is throwing freaking chairs.

I do know this.... It makes sense to me that after a penalty he is not wasting his valuable "Play Selection Time" by throwing his head set on the turf and freaking out for 20 seconds.

I had a coach once that use to scare the shit out of me when he glared at me and did not say a thing. To the students in the stands he may have seemed un-animated.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
dhazer (14m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.