Rockmolder
14 years ago
If there's one call that has been scrutinized, and rightfully so, it has been the prevent call with 3 second left on the clock that cost us the game.

Or actually, the prevent plays throughout that drive.

We went up against an offense and offensive line that has had problems picking up pressure all season long and a QB who holds on to the ball way too long. Yet, we preferred to bring 3 on nearly every play instead of brining the standard 4 or blitzing with an extra guy or 2.

This problems on the Steelers' O-line became even more obvious when Jenkins went through nearly untouched and got to Ben, who broke out of the poor tackle and scrambled, only to have Raji cut of his escape route and having to throw it away.

Although I dont like prevent defense, and I don't think that we would've been put in as bad a position as we where, had we blitzed a little more, a prevent call with 3 seconds left on the clock, isn't too bad a call. You zone out the end-zone and force the QB to dump it off and hope for a miracle.

Or, at least, that's the theory behind it.

Obviously, that isn't exactly what happened in our case.

Let's start with the personnel on this play.

We're playing a 2-3-6. Obviously, we're playing prevent.

On the D-line, we have Jolly and Wynn.

I'm going to assume that Jenkins and Raji where out of gas on this one. Can't imagine that Capers would want these guys out there over them. I'd like to think that your main pass rushers can toughen up and play this one last play, but they are 300 and 340 lbs, respectively, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

At LB, I think we're playing Matthews, Barnett and Poppinga. Cant see it very well. Matthews is on the TE, Barnett is on the RB and Poppinga is rushing the passer.

Williams, Bell and Bush are in man against the receivers. Woodson, Collins and Bigby are playing deep zone.

On the field, it looks like this.

UserPostedImage

If you added up the personnel tasks, you figured out that we're playing a cover 3 man. Most of our corners are giving the receivers quite a cushion and, thus, a free release. Only Williams is up close to the receiver.

UserPostedImage

Our guys can't get any pressure on Roethlisberger, who gets about 10 seconds in the pocket before throwing it in for the TD. Mike Bell was covering Wallace pretty well, but got no safety help at all.

UserPostedImage

On this picture Bigby is just running over to get into his regular zone (Marked as '1'). Had Bigby been there all along, Bell could've played underneath and batted the ball down. I assume that Atari made a mental mistake on this one, though, and got lured to the side where 4 Steelers receivers where running to, guessing that this play would be a hail mary. That resulted in getting Bell isolated on rookie WR Wallace. A match up that Ben had some trust in, apparently, as he threw it into some good coverage.

There is one different theory I can think off, and that is that the Packers where playing man all around, having double coverage on the Steelers' 3 best receivers in Ward, Holmes and Miller, which would result in an overload to the right, as Wallace was the only receiver going left.

If that's the case, Capers should throw that page out of his playbook. If anyone, you want Woodson in single coverage, and even then it's a weird play.

Lastly, Bell's play on the ball.

Personally, I think he did just about everything right for the situation he was in. He played close up against the receiver, not having any help over the top. He nearly made quite a play, as he did get his hand in between Wallace's hands while having to make that hard cut.

UserPostedImage

In hindsight, maybe he should've gone for a force out, but there's just a couple of corners in the league who bat that ball down or get the guy out of bounds.

Let's just hope that we won't 'prevent' another offense all the way down to our end-zone. This sequence of calls reminded me an awfull lot of Bob Sanders' vanilla defenses.... [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=126]full article[/url].
dfosterf
14 years ago
+1 Rock. Good stuff.

This friggin' prevent shit still has me fuming...

Prevent you from winning, is what they should call it.

Hey Dom, have you heard? It isn't how you start, it's how you finish in this league. We are supposed to be honing our vaunted defense right about now.

What a crock. I am not embarrassed about that game, but the end of it is very embarrassing, not so much that last play, but the whole mindset and defensive philosophy that would allow it to occur.

How many ways does this coaching staff have to recognize/have it beat into their friggin' heads that the prevent has not and will not friggin' work against a good quarterback?

Dom gave that game away.

You think that shit will work against Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Donovan Mcnabb or Brett Favre?

Better wake up quick, Dom. Stubborn stupid shit, imo
IronMan
14 years ago
You shouldn't ever question the coaches because they are never wrong. And they know more about the game than us, so we have no right to criticize them. EVER.

(sarcasm)
doddpower
14 years ago

+1 Rock. Good stuff.

This friggin' prevent shit still has me fuming...

Prevent you from winning, is what they should call it.

Hey Dom, have you heard? It isn't how you start, it's how you finish in this league. We are supposed to be honing our vaunted defense right about now.

What a crock. I am not embarrassed about that game, but the end of it is very embarrassing, not so much that last play, but the whole mindset and defensive philosophy that would allow it to occur.

How many ways does this coaching staff have to recognize/have it beat into their friggin' heads that the prevent has not and will not friggin' work against a good quarterback?

Dom gave that game away.

You think that shit will work against Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Donovan Mcnabb or Brett Favre?

Better wake up quick, Dom. Stubborn stupid shit, imo

"dfosterf" wrote:

I put a lot of the blame on Capers for this loss. He's a great defensive coordinator, for sure. Don't get me wrong. I think he just called a terrible game, at least when it mattered. Not only do we run a prevent defense on the last play, but pretty much every play near the end of that drive. The offense knew EXACTLY what they were going to get.

Also, I think if you're only going to rush a few people, your best pass rusher HAS to be one of them. Putting Matthews in coverage was another mistake. It just seems to be like we conceded any pass rush on those last plays. Matthews has a crazy motor, hadn't been rushing the QB in a few plays at least. Put him on the line and tear him lose on the QB.

Ahhhh, I don't know. I'm just not happy with the defensive calls. Let's hope Dom learns from this game, and this doesn't happen again.
British
14 years ago
Thanks for the breakdown Rock.

Capers is played millions of dollars to stop drives just like that.

They had little time, a long way to go, a feeble OLine and one timeout.

I hope Capers is kicking himself all week and learns from it.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

On this picture Bigby is just running over to get into his regular zone (Marked as '1'). Had Bigby been there all along, Bell could've played underneath and batted the ball down. I assume that Atari made a mental mistake on this one, though, and got lured to the side where 4 Steelers receivers where running to, guessing that this play would be a hail mary. That resulted in getting Bell isolated on rookie WR Wallace. A match up that Ben had some trust in, apparently, as he threw it into some good coverage.

There is one different theory I can think off, and that is that the Packers where playing man all around, having double coverage on the Steelers' 3 best receivers in Ward, Holmes and Miller, which would result in an overload to the right, as Wallace was the only receiver going left.
[url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=126]full article[/url].

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Another great post, Rock. +1

This pic disturbs me. Okay, the Pitt guy makes a great catch despite damn fine coverage by Bell. TD, game over, yadda yadda yadda.

But there's three other guys in the picture, and no other Pitt guy inside. Bigby's got this appearance of "oh fuck, I fucked this up." Bush looks like he's standing there doing a statue imitation. And the guy whose legs are only showing (Collins perhaps) looks no better.

Okay, I understand. It's zone coverage. Okay, I understand, it's a still picture. Okay, I understand, the ball has been in the air for a bit by the time the pic is snapped. But those three guys look like they are "off" the receivers even more than they are in the opening pic.

But still. It isn't the touchdown catch that's annoying. That looks like one NFL player going one-on-one with another NFL player. But Bigby, Bush, and "Legs"....they're about as dynamic as a Monet painting.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Thanks for the breakdown Rock.

Capers is played millions of dollars to stop drives just like that.

They had little time, a long way to go, a feeble OLine and one timeout.

I hope Capers is kicking himself all week and learns from it.

"British" wrote:

I doubt he is.

The only thing that the prevent defense is made for is not giving up the big TD. A bend, but don't break style of play.

And that's exactly what it did, from a coaching perspective.

The play call was allright on that last play, if you asume that Bigby was indeed supposed to play zone in the left side of the end-zone. That shouldn't have been a TD.

I think that he'll blame this on execution and just go the exact same way next time.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
It's not only those 3 guys, Wade. I couldn't find a shot of the other side of the end-zone, but conventional wisdom has it, that if 8 guys drop deep, and just 1 is on this side, 7 have to be on the other.

Aside from Bell, the other 7 guys where defending 4 receivers, of which 1 was a RB who isn't a great receiver and the other a TE.

Like you said, Bigby was coming up to this side, but really, he's way out of position in the first place.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Most excellent!

I haven't had a chance to review the game yet, hell, I didn't get to watch much of it live either. Hectic 24 hours here.

I thought Bell was supposed to stay underneath and Bigby had the top. Looks like Bigby was out of position.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
It's not like this is Capers' first major screwup. He didn't learn his lesson from the first Vikings game either. He called the exact same kind of game the second time around.

I am unimpressed.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.