all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

I was talking about the Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh game. You must have been watching a different one.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Are we talking about the game or the last drive?

Because on the last drive I remember having a sack taken away by a penalty, the Steelers o-line having a couple of false starts (which I attribute to an attempt to impede the rusher early), Jenkins missing a sack, and Jolly getting mauled down to the ground.

Fact is, on the final drive, the players had ample chances to end the game through INTs. The players were in position to make plays, which is what Capers should focus on doing - putting players in position to make plays.

The fact that they didn't ... to blame Dom and his calls for that is simply wrong. And stupid.

Blame Capers for the subs he used (really, Wynn on the last play? Wynn?!). Blame him for not adjusting his game plan enough.

I'm saying you can't pin the loss on poor play calling and scheming on the final drive. The fact that the players had ample opportunities to make plays but didn't is the real problem, IMO.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
JMHO, I had no problem with the 3 man rush as the Steelers were trying to move the ball down the field. as has been stated, there were several times The Packers had a chance to end the game.

This WAS GOING TO BE THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME(maybe one more).
I was hoping to see DC put in a blitz package,put pressure on the QB make Ben force a throw, then if he throws a TD, well at least we wouldn't have let him slide around for 10 seconds so he could find the one guy who had single coverage. I could live with the defense being beaten when they were doing what they do best, either way IMHO this game is going to be more of a plus than minus going into the post-season.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
istanbulpacker
14 years ago
First off, +1 to Rock for a great analysis of this particular play. McCarren went over it in the Locker Room and you can see by the way Bell has his outer foot placed that he was supposed to keep his receiver to the inside. From the overhead view, it shows that he is a bit outside the WR and angling such that the WR will be forced inside towards his help (Bigby). For whatever reason, he allowed the WR to get to the outside of him forcing the man coverage situation that Pitt wanted. Bell did what he could in man coverage but this was a perfectly executed play by Pitt.

You know, with all due respect, this post is downright idiotic. I can understand the anger of losing that game, of how we should have won and everything... But you honestly shouldn't take a series alone in and of itself to come to conclusions.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I quoted above because, while a bit harshly worded, is right on the money. Sure, this 1 play gave up the TD but that whole drive was terrible. THREE Packer penalties. Pitt converting a 4th and 7, a 3rd & 15, and then the TD on 3rd & 10. Completions of 32, 15, 20, and 19 yards. But this series wasn't the only problem. Big Ben with ~17 yards per completion during the whole game. WOW!

Capers has some work to do if we are still hoping for the playoffs.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Are we talking about the game or the last drive?

Because on the last drive I remember having a sack taken away by a penalty, the Steelers o-line having a couple of false starts (which I attribute to an attempt to impede the rusher early), Jenkins missing a sack, and Jolly getting mauled down to the ground.

Fact is, on the final drive, the players had ample chances to end the game through INTs. The players were in position to make plays, which is what Capers should focus on doing - putting players in position to make plays.

The fact that they didn't ... to blame Dom and his calls for that is simply wrong. And stupid.

Blame Capers for the subs he used (really, Wynn on the last play? Wynn?!). Blame him for not adjusting his game plan enough.

I'm saying you can't pin the loss on poor play calling and scheming on the final drive. The fact that the players had ample opportunities to make plays but didn't is the real problem, IMO.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

AADP - It is not wrong and not stupid.

History shows us that the prevent D again and again fails. When teams get conservative, they lose.

I've written numerous articles on aggression and how aggression is a good thing.

We should have rushed four. You can blame the refs. You can make all these other excuses. Simple fact is on the very last drive, had we gotten just one sack, the game would have ended with us in the W column.

It's Capers fault we rushed 3 people and gave Ben all the time he needed to find an open receiver.

We have a problem - our #1 CB is out for the season. Remember the Giants of '07? They had a very average secondary. They won the SB by beating the best O ever with a pass rush to compensate for their very average secondary.

Pass rush compensates for weaknesses in secondaries. History tells us this. History also tells us that rushing 3 people allows a good QB (and right now Big Ben is an elite QB) all the time he needs to find an open receiver.

David may be rambling and you may be composed but he is right and you are wrong.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dfosterf
14 years ago
lol

Zombie--

I owe you a major apology. Not for anything either one of us said, but for what I was thinking you were gonna say in your last post.

Unbeknown-st to probably 99.99% of our fellow members, Zombie and I went after each other about an issue that had a major impact on Sunday.

...And we had our little tiff PRIOR to the game.

It was a thread about the fall of the Steelers this year, contrasted with their (still, to me) incredible performance last year. I was giving MAJOR props to Big Ben, because I felt (and still do) that he accomplished so much with an inferior offensive line last year. I went on to say that the Steelers fall from grace this year could be easily assigned to that o-line failure.

Zombie took my perspective as being overly charitable to Big Ben, citing his (Zombie's) study of "Defense wins championships". I (in semi-jest--and said it as such at the time) stated that d coordinators came up with that line. I'm not re-opening that line of argument, except to state MY truism, TEAMS win championships.

I bring this up because my respect for Ben as a tough nut to crack--which is what got lost in that discussion--his ability to buy time, much of it due to his sheer size...well, 500+ yards says a lot.

I was talking about the last drive. Some have argued that Mason cost us the game. I never went there. Some have argued that Bush cost us the game. I never went there either. I have said my piece on Bush a year ago, and him playing "better"--well, someone else can argue that one. We had to dance with the girls we brung. I submit that the biggest competitive advantage possible was to put as much heat on Ben as we could, and further that a worn-out defensive front, rushing 3 worn-out, had little or no chance of doing so against a Big Ben. His "skill set" is in large part due, again... to his sheer mass.

We almost got it done. I will concede that much. The Japanese almost got it done when they sunk the USS Indianapolis, 4 days after they delivered the first operational atomic bomb to Tinian island. It didn't work for the Japanese and the prevent didn't work for Dom.

While you guys analyze that final play, kindly look at the progressions that Dom and co. allowed Big Ben to go through to make that throw.

(How's THAT for a ramble---equating our prevent to Hiroshima getting nuked--proud of that one, lol)
zombieslayer
14 years ago
David - I don't remember it being a tiff. I thought you were really civil. Was I out of line?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

David - I don't remember it being a tiff. I thought you were really civil. Was I out of line?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Not at all.

The "tiff" part was because you interpreted my praise of Ben as more than what I intended it to be. I fully recognized what you were saying about the Steelers D, but was injecting my "adjunct" to it. In large part to the media over-hyping Ben, you seemed to assign a lot of that hype to me as well. I was concentrating on the concept that Big Ben does well with a shitty o-line, but I felt like my nuanced praise got lost in the discussion as a more generalized praise of Ben. That was all.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I used to work in a TIF .

UserPostedImage

How the fuck this picture was allowed to be taken, I haven't the faintest clue. I would have been court martialed for a picture like this.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
David - Just to make it clear, in '09, I'd call him an elite QB. He was not an elite QB in either of the SBs he won. Just in the right place at the right time. Kind of like Troy Aikman.

Even more reason to rush 4 people. I still want to leave the bag of flaming poo on Dom Capers' front porch.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Blank402
14 years ago
Bigby wasn't supposed to be supplying coverage over the top. How could he? There's only about three yards to the back of the end zone to cover. Bigby was doing what he was supposed to be doing, which is take away the inside of the endzone from Wallace. Bell made the mistake by not staying underneath. If he stays underneath and forces Rothlisberger to throw it high, he gets a shot at pushing Wallace out the back of the ends zone or getting a hand on the ball. If Wallace cuts back inside Bigby's there to help out in coverage.

It was Bell who made the mistake on the play by not staying underneath.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.