longtimefan
14 years ago
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whitlock-letter-to-favre-122209 

Dear Brett Favre,

Hey, it's me, Jason, the leader of your MVP campaign.

Yeah, you pretty much handed that trophy to Peyton Manning last weekend. I'm not even talking about your so-so performance on the field and losing to the Panthers. I could've worked around that.

You blew it when you backed that bus over Chilly in your post-game news conference. Damn it, Brett, you gave your critics all the ammo they need to start calling you "Brat" or "Britney" or "Flava Favre" or "The White T.O."

Those last two nicknames are actually my creation. That's how hard it is being the president of your fan club. Some weeks I want to ride for you and put clown suits on Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and anyone who refuses to give you your proper respect and other weeks I'm ashamed of myself for jumping in the same foxhole with John Madden.

Brett, why can't you be more like Tiger Woods?

Tiger keeps it 100, Brett. Tiger keeps his mouth shut. He refuses to cooperate with the media. I'll ride or lie for Tiger 24/7/365.

You, on the other hand, fell into the media's trap. You think the more you talk the more we'll love you.

You've turned your career into "The Real World" and you spend all your free time in a confessional booth talking about everything from addiction to painkillers to sideline dustups with Chilly over playing time.

Rick Reilly must love you. Every time the going gets tough, you're on the phone with Oprah's producers hoping to book a seat on The Couch.

The truly great ones, Brett, remain a mystery. You don't see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning spilling their hearts to every reporter with an empty notebook. Jordan didn't do it. Neither did Gretzky. Hell, even a camera hound like Magic Johnson stayed relatively low key until he had to distance himself from those mid-court kisses with Isiah Thomas after contracting the HIV virus.

OK, I'll give you Muhammad Ali. But Ali needed the media to beat the draft and sell tickets to fights. Plus, Ali was king in a very different era. There was no 24-hour news cycle. TV networks didn't give assclowns like Nancy Grace and Skip Bayless their own shows.

Nope. It's clear. You've done irreparable damage to your legacy by running your mouth to the media. It doesn't matter that you're right and Chilly is an idiot. It doesn't matter that he wanted to bench you after you threw a touchdown pass to go up two scores at Green Bay. No one will care that Childress thought about pulling you from the Detroit game. And your critics will overlook that Chilly's hyper-conservative, no-audible offense allowed Carolina to hang around for three quarters and steal Sunday night's game in the fourth.

You're the bad guy. You refuse to bow to the insecure, counter-productive wishes of your overmatched coach. Those of us in the media tend to be hypocritical. Woodward and Bernstein proved to us long ago that all great journalism is done over the objection of editors. The same thing pretty much applies to quarterback play. We don't comprehend that. We think Charlie Weis made Brady great when the reality is just the opposite.

Brett, I've seen this all before.

Joe Montana went through the exact same issue during his final season in Kansas City. Marty Schottenheimer and his offensive coordinator Paul Hackett devised a similar Montana protection strategy in 1994.

The Chiefs had great defensive personnel led by Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith. The Chiefs also had a physical offensive line, a Hall of Fame running back (Marcus Allen) and two other solid backs (Greg Hill and Kimble Anders).

Well, Marty got it into his head that he could back the Chiefs into the playoffs and loose the real Joe Montana in January. Montana was furious. He bitched (privately) the entire second half of the season about a passing game that left seven blockers to protect and three receivers in the secondary.

Montana, like you, was a warrior. He didn't want to die on his knees. He knew the Chiefs would struggle on the road in the playoffs. Sure enough, with the Chiefs' restricted offense averaging 17 points over a five-game stretch, Kansas City lost four of five games, fell to 7-7 and had to win its final two games to sneak into the postseason.

The Chiefs traveled to Miami for a wild-card playoff game and lost 27-17 to the Dolphins. Montana retired weeks later. Marty Schottenheimer left the coaching profession in 2006 having not won a playoff game since the 1993 season, the last season Montana was allowed to be Joe Montana.

Brett, you should've let Childress pull you from the game and then left him to explain the irrational decision. The Vikings had a chance to catch the Saints for the NFC No. 1 seed. Now the Eagles are nipping at the Vikes for the No. 2 seed. This whole season could turn into a disaster just because Chilly doesn't want a veteran quarterback to call a few audibles.

Had you said nothing, Brett, and created the appearance you were taking the high road, it would be open season on Chilly. Me, John Madden, Tony Kornheiser and few others could ride on this fool.

Now no one will hear us because you had to open your mouth.

Sincerely,

Jason Whitlock

4PackGirl
14 years ago
flava favre - HILARIOUS!!!
14 years ago

flava favre - HILARIOUS!!!

"4PackGirl" wrote:

:lol: Absolutely. I stopped reading around that point because nothing was going to equal the mental picture of Brent screaming, "FLAAVAAA FAAARVVE!" with a gold grill.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
This article is a strange case of praising with faint condemnation.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I haven't much liked Jason over the last couple years, but I do agree with this line about the "TV networks didn't give assclowns like Nancy Grace and Skip Bayless their own shows".
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Well....it proves to anyone that thought we were making stuff up that "Flava Favre" (I LOVE THAT!LOLOL!!!) thinks HE is bigger then any team he plays on.
The head coach is his BOSS. You don't go off to the media on your BOSS. And whether you like what your BOSS says, you do what he says! Why? CAUSE HE'S YOUR FRIGGIN' BOSS!!!
He just proved to anyone that ad any doubts that he's a prima dona.

And thats sad.
I'm glad it's happening to the Vikings, and not us.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

Nope. It's clear. You've done irreparable damage to your legacy by running your mouth to the media. It doesn't matter that you're right and Chilly is an idiot. It doesn't matter that he wanted to bench you after you threw a touchdown pass to go up two scores at Green Bay. No one will care that Childress thought about pulling you from the Detroit game. And your critics will overlook that Chilly's hyper-conservative, no-audible offense allowed Carolina to hang around for three quarters and steal Sunday night's game in the fourth.

So true. And because Favre opened his mouth, all the critics in the world are going to be collectively chanting for his head and no one will pay attention that Chilly is the idiot here, not Favre.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
longtimefan
14 years ago

So true. And because Favre opened his mouth, all the critics in the world are going to be collectively chanting for his head and no one will pay attention that Chilly is the idiot here, not Favre.

"Formo" wrote:

I guess you just skimmed another article?

It doesn't matter that you're right and Chilly is an idiot

Formo
14 years ago

"longtimefan" wrote:

I guess you just skimmed another article?

It doesn't matter that you're right and Chilly is an idiot

"Formo" wrote:

What does that supposed to mean?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

Tis better to be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (39m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (52m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.