Cheesey
14 years ago
It's not gonna change. Look how hard it is for the NFL to agree on ANYTHING. To overhaul the playoff system that much.....i can't see the owners EVER coming together on this.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago

mi_keys: You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, but you lost me right at the beginning by saying that fairness should not matter. If you throw the idea of fairness out the window, then you can justify any playoff system.

The situation you describe in your second-to-last paragraph seems pretty rare to me. At any rate, I would expect that in the system that Vandermause proposes, if two teams have the same record and one of them won the division, the division winner would get home field. So those games would still matter.

"Greg C." wrote:

Thank you for being the only one to respond to my post.

That said, I'm not saying fairness should be completely ignored, I am saying it is not the only and possibly not even the most important factor in deciding a playoff seeding system. Most playoff seeding systems have a large degree of fairness and some inequities and that's why I think you need to consider other things such as strengthening the meaning of the division.

In my example, two teams in one division can't possibly finish behind the two teams in the other division. Under Vandermause, they know they will be the 3rd and 4th seeds and get the wild card home game. Likewise, the two in the other division know they will be the 5th and 6th seeds and thus away in the first round of the playoffs. Under the current system the teams in the same division need to win because they need to win their division to have a home field game.

Also, don't assume that is the only scenario in which Vandermause's proposed system would end up with meaningless games at the end of the season. The point was to give an example that is no less likely than the specific example we've run into this year and to suggest that any reductions in the number of games that are meaningless at the end of the year would be minimal at best.
Born and bred a cheesehead
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Not to mention the lost revenue for the city of Green Bay and the business owners and employees of Green Bay.

A home game would have brought a great deal of money to Green Bay.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Cheesey
14 years ago
True R.P.
But in the future, it could just as easily take away a home playoff game from GB if the roles were reversed.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago

Give the divisional games real meaning beyond mere rivalry pride. Right now they're of essentially ancillary, symbolic importance at best. A team could conceivably lose every game in the division and still be crowned division winner. That makes no sense to me.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Division games are the most important regular season games you have. The easiest way to get into the playoffs and have a good seed is to win the division and that's hard to do if you don't win your division games. They are the most important tiebreaker. You are understating their importance to say they are just symbolic.
mi_keys
14 years ago

Fairness is a funny thing.

Do we really believe that the best determinant of a team's strength is W/L record when they don't have completely common opponents. It makes sense for a division winner, since the majority of a divisional rival's opponents is the same. But beyond that, I'm not sure.

I mean, if it was just a matter of W/L record, why do we have everyone and their mother going off about "power ratings" and such?

The nice thing about W/L record is that it is an easy number to read. It is not, however, an easy number to interpret. Or rather, it doesn't contain as much information about "what's fair" or "who's best" as people like Vandermause think.

JMO

"Wade" wrote:

A fair point, but as you point out W/L is the easiest to read and it should have a very strong correlation with how strong a team is. It's a causal relationship, the better you are the more you'll win. Obviously if someone has tougher schedule or bad luck, there will be variability. But it's the simplest model and generally does a pretty good job of picking better teams. As for the power rankings, people play around with those because they're fun.
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

I don't like the rules, too, but unfortunately that are the rules. And if you're a hot team, you don't care about playing at home or not. The Steelers (#6) made it to Vince, so will the Packers :D

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

GermanGilbert was spot on!
UserPostedImage
Emeraldgreen
3 years ago
I'm a long time fan of the NFL, and to me I want to be fair for all. The object of playing each season is to win as many games as possible, and then go to the playoffs. Now, I have a serious issue when it comes to wins versus division winners. I hate this rule. A team with a losing record who happens to win their division gets into the playoffs automatic. Such as the case this season in the NFC EAST. All 4 teams have losing records. But then there are teams with much better records than this team, and they don't go to the playoffs/ Then what's the use of winning all the games if your going to be knocked out by a losing team? Ok so what big deal, you won your division because the other 3 teams are worse than you. But because you win your division that makes you guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, and the team who worked and played to win, and did win more games, and they sit out, no way something is terribly wrong with that concept.
If a team has the best record in their division , yes that team can be granted division winners, but don't let a team who worked hard and win more games than your team and then be shut out???
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
In general it doesn't make sense to let a divisional winner into the playoffs with a losing record. For the most part I have advocated that teams should have a winning record in order to make the playoffs. At the very least be 8-8.

That said, in 2010 Seattle made the playoffs with a 7-9 record. Because they won the west they hosted NOLA. At 11-5 some people felt they were the 2nd best team in the NFC that year even though the 11-5 Bears got the first round bye. When Seattle beat the Saints and GB beat the Eagles, it changed the whole playoffs. Ever since then I have not minded when weak divisional winners make the playoffs. They "won" based on the system that is in place.

In order to alleviate this from happening the NFL needs fewer divisions with more teams. The issue becomes attempting to balance everything. They can't have 3 divisions of 5 without losing 2 teams. If they expand and have 3 divisions of 6 you would not see weak teams with losing records make the playoffs. The issue would then become how do you play every team in your division twice and still play other teams not only in your conference but also have non conference games too.

It can be done if 6th place teams face each other and so one. If they do this there is a downside. The weakest teams will have a very weak schedule the following year. When the NFL did this years ago Atlanta made it to the Super Bowl. A couple of other teams have gone from last to first then disappear again. I think the 2006 Bears team had a very easy schedule too after a very bad 2005 season.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
I think a lot of people complain about the seeding and complaints will always be discovered because there really isn't a flawless strategy. How could there be?

Personally, I haven't liked four team divisions. I think it devalues winning the division. I'm not saying this is the, just saying I'd like it.

Two Conferences
Four Divisions
Eight Teams / Division

Each team plays their divisional opponents twice. Each team plays the opposite conference division opponent where they finished and alternate divisions each year. (if they go 17 games, you just add another matchup)

It'll make those who like seeing AFC vs NFC matchups every 4 years cry, but I don't really care. They are gonna cry anyway.

Then the division winners get a BYE week. Each conference gets four wild card teams.

Or some shit like that.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (20h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.