Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Seventh-round pick brings history of durability, persistence

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081004&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81004052&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=150&Border=0[/img_r]Theres high school football tough.

Theres college football tough.

Then theres National Football League tough.

In high school back in Tyler, Texas, Matt Flynn broke his foot in the first round of the playoffs. His team went four rounds. Flynn did not miss a game.

For him, there was no other way, said Ty Wright, Flynns childhood friend and high school teammate. He just kept playing. During the week, he didnt practice too much and was in a boot. Come game time, he took the boot off and went out there and played.

In his only season as a college starter at LSU, Flynn separated his shoulder early in the third quarter of a game against Arkansas.

It happened at the beginning of the third quarter, and they shot it up, Flynn said. It wore off right before I threw a Hail Mary (at the end of regulation). Right before overtime, I went back in and they shot it up again.

Flynn, the Green Bay Packers rookie backup quarterback, has virtually no NFL experience. That could change Sunday, when the Packers play the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field. Starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers has nursed a sprained right shoulder all week and was listed as questionable. No one could possibly predict how Flynn might do in his first start, but those who know him say theyre sure of one thing: hell be virtually impossible to knock out.

That first became evident as a toddler, when Flynns paternal grandfather nicknamed him Ironhead.

Part of Matts personality is that hes pretty stubborn, said Flynns father, Alvin. Down here in Texas wed call him hard headed. He couldnt have been more than 3 when my dad just said hes got a head as hard as iron, so he called him Ironhead. Thats just part of the inner composure or drive or whatever it is that Matt has. Hes real stubborn and very confident.

If not for his persistence and confidence, Flynn almost certainly would not have made it this far in football. As the son of a former college quarterback Alvin was a starter at Baylor in the 1960s Flynn set out to follow in his fathers footsteps. His best friend (Wright) nearly got in the way. As sophomores, they were in a head-to-head competition for the starting quarterback job on the varsity at Robert E. Lee High School. After splitting snaps early in the season, coach Mike Owens opted to go with Wright.

Matt was so focused on playing quarterback, Owens said, that he worked his rear end off between his sophomore and junior year.

After that sophomore season, Wright turned his attention to baseball, and Flynn, who had played baseball and basketball in junior high, quit everything else to focus solely on becoming a quarterback.

He came back the next year and looked like a totally different quarterback, said Wright, who is an outfielder in the Chicago Cubs minor-league system. He was smarter, throwing better balls and really worked on his speed and his agility.

Once Flynn got the job, he never let go.

He had the flu so bad one time he barely could hold his head up, Owens said. But he was out there for us.

At LSU, Flynn entered the program with another highly touted quarterback, JaMarcus Russell. Both redshirted as freshmen before Russell settled into the starting job. Flynn was the No. 3 quarterback in 2004, the backup in 2005 (when he started the Peach Bowl game in place of an injured Russell and won the MVP) and again in 2006. Even though he couldnt beat out Russell, he never strongly considered transferring.

He just never thought he was not going to start down there if that makes any sense, Alvin Flynn said. Thats just the way he is. He just never thought that he would not play down there and do some good things. It just took him longer to do those good things than he thought it would.

When Russell left for the NFL before his senior season, Flynn finally got his chance. He started all but one game he missed the SEC championship game the week after he sustained that shoulder injury and helped the Tigers to the BCS national championship.

Flynn was viewed as a borderline prospect in the NFL draft, which was why he was available for the Packers in the seventh round at pick No. 209 overall. In training camp, he beat out fellow rookie Brian Brohm (a second-round draft pick) to become Rodgers backup.

Hes been through a lot of adversity from high school all the way through college, Alvin Flynn said. I think thats a significant contributing factor into his demeanor and how he looks at things and how he approaches the game.

Which brings Flynn to Sunday, when he could become the lowest-drafted quarterback to start as a rookie since Ryan Fitzpatrick (was picked 250th) started for the St. Louis Rams in 2005.

Im not surprised that hes playing in the NFL, Owens said. I am surprised and Im sure he is too that he may have an opportunity to play right away. You always figure youd sit around for two or three years and then become a starter, but I guarantee you its not bothering him. He may be a little nervous like anybody would be, but its not going to be one of these things where he chokes. Thats not going to happen.

Hell do whatever he can to win the football game. If that means having to break his leg on the last play to score, then thats what hell do.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (20h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (20h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (23h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.