4PackGirl
13 years ago
he is done. i'll be shocked if he takes another snap this season. he is actively convincing himself that his legacy remains intact, he doesn't need to prove anything else, & that he'll be talked about in a positive way for years to come.
Greg C.
13 years ago

I will never understand the hushed tones of reverential nostalgia and the starry eyes with which people speak of Brett Favre, but if it brings meaning to their lives, more power to them, I guess.

I will say that the end of the streak brought me no pleasure either. It's just so tattered and outworn I want it to go away. Watching professional football will be a much more enjoyable experience when the spastic reflex of every commentator's tongue is not to reach for the word "BrettFavre" every time they're in need of a moment's filler.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yeah, toward the end Brett Favre got to be like a movie that one has watched too many times. I have to give him his due for having a great season in 2009, but still, when you put that season together with 2008 and 2010, I think the comeback did his reputation more harm than good. Mostly he just wanted to keep playing because he doesn't know what to do with himself if he's not playing.

As I've said before, I think he's going to have a very hard time adjusting to retirement. He will probably make his wife miserable--if nothing else, just because she will have to watch him be miserable.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

he is done. i'll be shocked if he takes another snap this season. he is actively convincing himself that his legacy remains intact, he doesn't need to prove anything else, & that he'll be talked about in a positive way for years to come.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

over the years have you noticed him say his legacy is intact, without anyone even mentioning anything remotely close to it?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
I said for the last 2 years, he should quit while he still has "it" and his health.
He didn't listen.
Now he looks old, and washed up. Just as i figured he would go out.
A sad ending, if you ask me.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago

I said for the last 2 years, he should quit while he still has "it" and his health.
He didn't listen.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Very Johnny Unitaslike.

At least he set the Vikings back a few years. Thanks Brett.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

over the years have you noticed him say his legacy is intact, without anyone even mentioning anything remotely close to it?

"4PackGirl" wrote:

yes i have. convincing himself of this has been ongoing. pretty sad.
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
It was really over before the year started. They have just been dragging the corpse of his career along for the 300. It would have been even sadder had he made it. Knowing the last 16 game were a total a sham.

A 69 rating on that last year makes it a year too long. You can't look at that and say he went out on top. That is one step above going out in a body bag.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
jdlax
13 years ago

He didn't listen.

"Cheesey" wrote:

So, if I read your post correctly, you were saying that he should quit before he had one of, if not the best, statistical seasons of his career? If he had the same "luck" with injuries not happening and some semblance of an offensive line performance this year, who's to say it wouldn't have been the best 2 years of his statistical career?

I dunno, just seems a little odd you'd lump an MVP type year in with one where he was beaten like a rented mule to show that you "called it".

Merry Christmas to you and yours though!
Cheesey
13 years ago
Yup jdlax!
That's EXACTLY what i said.
What exactly did he gain by sticking around too long? Does he have a 2nd Super Bowl ring? Maybe if he did, i'd say you are right.
So he had one good year. Now that he's been beaten half to death, may suffer injuries that last for the rest of his life, i bet even HE wishes now he would have quit.
The thing is, knowing when to walk away. He chose not to, and now goes out looking like a beat up old man.
As was sated, very much like Johnny Unitas. You are probably too young to remember that. It's sad watching a once great athelete looking horrible.
Bart Starr did the same thing.
So.....i'm wrong for what i said, and for pointing out that it's ended just as i feared it would? Does that make me wrong, for pointing that out?
Merry Christmas to you too, my friend!
UserPostedImage
jdlax
13 years ago
I guess alls I'm saying here is that it just seems strange to me that you would include last year as one that he should not have played. If not for a mistake that he would have made at 20, 30, or 40 years old, he would have been "the guy" putting the Vikings in the Super Bowl. This year, it's pretty obvious with a little hindsight that playing wasn't the best of ideas, but last year? He had a better season than the donkey they slapped the MVP hat on! 🙂
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.