macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
There were a number of quotes in here that I loved (bolded):

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/02/07/steelers-didnt-deserve-to-win/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThePressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29 

February 7th, 2011 ARLINGTON, Texas --

Yes, the Steelers had a chance to win Super Bowl XLV.

Yes, they were in almost the same exact situation as they had been in December of 2009 when Ben Roethlisberger led an 86-yard touchdown drive -- after getting the ball with 2:06 left to play -- to beat the Packers by a point.

But the truth is the Steelers didnt deserve to win Sunday night at Cowboys Stadium even though the stage had been set for Roethlisberger to conjure up more of his fourth-quarter magic with his team trailing 31-25.

Starting at their own 13-yard line with just under two minutes to play the Steelers could only manage one first down before turning the ball over on downs.

I had a feeling we were going to do it again but we should have never been in that situation. Thats the discouraging part, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said. You cant beat a team like the Packers turning the ball over the way that we did.

The single biggest season why the Steelers failed to win their third Super Bowl in six seasons: they committed three turnovers, all of which led to Packers touchdowns, while not coming up with any takeaways.

Here are some other thoughts, quotes and observations from the Steelers second loss in eight Super Bowl appearances.

-- Take away strong safety Troy Polamalu and the Steelers secondary is suspect. And teams seemed to take the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year out of games during the postseason by simply staying away from him -- something Aaron Rodgers did Sunday night.

Polamalu had three tackles and no passes defended in the Steelers' 31-25 loss. When asked if thought Polamalu had made an impact in the game, coach Mike Tomlin said, Ill let you be the judge.

Said Polamalu, I had some opportunities to make plays, I was just off a step or here there. Toughest (loss) Ive ever had in my life.

-- Polamalus running mate in the secondary and best friend on the Steelers sure didnt take the loss lightly.

Nothing separates us from the other 30 teams that werent here, free safety Ryan Clark said. Were just like them. All the work, all the adversity we overcame, its for nothing. Id just rather not be here if Im not going to take home the trophy.

-- If there was one call that Tomlin wanted back it was his decision to try a 52-yard field goal with four-and-a-half minutes to play in the third quarter.

The Steelers had cut the Packers lead to four points, had seized the momentum and had a chance to pin Green Bay deep in its own territory.

Shaun Suisham hooked the kick left of the goal post.

There was a terrible decision by me in hindsight, said Tomlin, who had been pleased with how Suisham kicked in pre-game warm ups. I took a calculated shot at it and it failed. But no judgment on Shaun Suisham. We picked him up along the way this season and hes one of the reasons that were here.

-- It was no surprise that the Packers were successful in spreading out the Steelers and attacking their defense with Rodgers and his deep stable of wide receivers.

Rodgers was a worthy MVP, and his numbers (24 of 39 for 304 yards and three touchdowns) could have been a lot better. I counted four drops by Packers receivers in the second half, including one by James Jones that would have gone for a long touchdown in the third quarter.

The Packers look like they could be good for a long time, and it all starts with Rodgers.

He just completed his third season as a starter, and Rodgers has already delivered as many Super Bowl titles to Green Bay as Brett Favre did.

I think people are going to write stories about him 10 years from now, Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. Even though hes done so much, hes still kind of just getting started.

Pittsburgh Tribune wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
The fact is that GB is the better team even with all their injuries than Pitt. And it was the good things that GB did that made them the winners. Moreso than mistakes that Pitt did.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago
the article mentions about the steelers doing that FG ... as if that made all the difference in the game - ya sure it sucks that he missed; but they still lost by 6 and even if they punted ... what are the chances we would of been pinned near our GL (could of easily been a touchback also).

There were alot more things then just that FG that cost the steelers the game. Penalties, bad throws, that fumble ...

I do agree with ryan clark in that; that would be a huge let down to go to the game and not win it. But oh well - not like they dont get paid ...
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I find it at times humorous and other times annoying when teams point to 3=4 things and say "if we only did those things right, we would have won." They ignore the fact that the other team has those same kind of incidents that they overcame. They ignore the fact that if those "wrongs" were corrected something else could have happened.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

the article mentions about the steelers doing that FG ... as if that made all the difference in the game - ya sure it sucks that he missed; but they still lost by 6 and even if they punted ... what are the chances we would of been pinned near our GL (could of easily been a touchback also).

There were alot more things then just that FG that cost the steelers the game. Penalties, bad throws, that fumble ...

I do agree with ryan clark in that; that would be a huge let down to go to the game and not win it. But oh well - not like they dont get paid ...

"Dulak" wrote:

Yeah, some people have put too much emphasis on that missed field goal. I think it's because people love to second-guess coaches, and this was their best opportunity to do that. Fact is, a 52-yard field goal attempt in a dome is nothing unusual. That kicker was booming his kickoffs all night long, and it was reasonable to think he would make it and cut the deficit to one point. The Packers failed to score after the missed field goal anyway.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Agreed, Greg. People tend to equate failure with a poor decision, which is often a false equivalence (just as people equate success with the correct decision, even when it wasn't necessarily so).

In retrospect, I'm conflicted on this particular play. During the game I was actually advocating for the Steelers to go for it, not because I wanted them to fail, but because I thought, given the Packers' seasonlong defensive weakness in 3rd- and 4th-and-long situations, it was a risk that might pay off. (Similarly, I wanted the Packers to go for it on 4th-and-goal inside the 10, since had they failed in the touchdown attempt, the Steelers would have been pinned very deep in their own territory.) Gregg Easterbrook derides the decision to kick the field goal in in this week's column, pointing out that the Steelers had been averaging 6 yards per offensive play the entire game. On the other hand, it was a 4th-and-15 play, so that 6-yard average would not have cut it. Also, Suisham hadn't made a field goal over 48 yards all season.

Overall, I would say the Steelers were in a difficult situation and had no truly good choices, and therefore, I believe they made the better of the two choices. The fact that it didn't work out for them doesn't impact my assessment.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Going for it on 4th and 15? Wow. These sportswriters sure get wacky sometimes.

You don't do that till the final possession of the game. It was either punt or field goal attempt.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (5h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (8h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (12h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (22h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.