wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

The problem is wpr created his first, so his posts would come before Kevin's in the thread, which would break Kevin's beloved format.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yep, I'm the bad guy because I prefer consistency and things to look cosmetically appealing.

Think we can discuss something that's actually interesting, say, Randall Cobb?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I hear Cobb is now a Packer. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
THAT'S EXCITING!

I think he'll have #18 if Packers.com is accurate.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

Yep, I'm the bad guy because I prefer consistency and things to look cosmetically appealing.

Is there a reason why you chose to interpret my comment as a snide remark?
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
The highlight video I watched looked like he was running Packer type routes.

He also seemed to keep himself alive when the QB was scrambling.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
olds70supreme
12 years ago
Wow, seems impressive from the highlight videos, but then again, that's kind of the point isn't it? After watching at least 2 minutes of video and reading a couple of bios (haha), I think that long term he is meant to be Driver's replacement, not Jones. One thought I can't get out of my head is: what if he is sure in blocking assignments? Meaning, if he is as reliable as Brandon Jackson in blitz pickup he could be a dangerous 3rd down checkdown out of the backfield. Obviously this is a big if, but that would be a great way to get more receivers on the field, while keeping open the possibility of a run play.
blank
go.pack.go.
12 years ago
I'm in love with this pick. Makes complete sense. It solves two problems: possible departure in James Jones, and we get a Kick/Punt returner.

I can think of another comparison: Brad Smith, NYJ. Brad Smith is a former QB converted WR, that still plays the wild cat occasionally. He is also a great kick returner. He is the person that came to mind for me when I heard about Cobb. I think Cobb is a better receiver than Smith, though.

EDIT

I love this video on him:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Randall-Cobb-draft-profile/9fac7860-0b18-4a68-92a0-586ee2cdaaab 
UserPostedImage
evad04
12 years ago
I am as excited about Randall Cobb as any pick we have made in the last five years, sans B.J. Raji.

Hyperbole is not being employed in that statement. Mulling over the best players available halfway through the 1st round yesterday, I was telling myself: Cobb would make an EXCELLENT fit in Green Bay. Great hands, YAC ability, dangerous in open space, durable, gifted return man. I mentioned if he might make sense at 32. For him to fall all the way to 64 seemed inconceivable to me.

His impact in the passing game will be felt this year. I truly believe that. His impact in the return game will also be felt. Arguably Green Bay's greatest weakness is in the return game.

Cobb was basically Kentucky's offense. Former quarterback, Wildcat ability, great vision and agility. Despite his smaller frame, very durable. This guy is a stud.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this pick. Jumped for joy when they picked him.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
I love the way Goodell said to him, "You will be a champ" after they embrace (or does he say, "Talk to the champ," referring to Jim Brown?).

I hadn't realized (because I was asleep) that Cobb was a Green Room pick. Isn't the Green Room usually reserved for projected high first-round picks? Does anyone know why he fell all the way to the bottom of the second round?

Ted Thompson sure likes his short receivers, doesn't he? Cobb joins Donald Driver as a converted quarterback. It is going to be so much fun watching this offense this year. I have to think Aaron Rodgers is thrilled, though giving Rodgers yet another target may not make Jermichael Finley terribly happy.

Aaron Rodgers has to be considered an early favorite for MVP consideration after what the Packers have done to shore up their already dominant offense.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

Packers bite on Cobb in run on skill guys 

By Mike Spofford

Posted 6 hours ago

[img_r]http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2011/04-april/110429cobb_newyork210.jpg[/img_r]As the second round of the draft wound down Friday night, the offensive skill players started disappearing from the board.

The Packers remained patient, then added to that run at the glamour spots by taking Kentucky receiver Randall Cobb, who brings kick-return ability along with his pass-catching skills.

In a seven-pick stretch leading up to Green Bays spot at No. 64 overall, five running backs or receivers were selected after just two went off the board in the first 23 picks of the night. The board was deep enough at those skill positions, though, and Cobb is the kind of multi-purpose athlete the Packers were happy to take.

Were just fortunate, receivers coach Edgar Bennett said. You talk about a player of his caliber, a guy who can kind of help you in a number of different ways, the way hell be able to contribute. We were fortunate to have a guy like that still around when we were ready to pick.

Cobb played both quarterback and receiver at Kentucky before settling in as a full-time receiver in his third season, which turned out to be his last as he entered the draft a year early.

In his final year, he caught 84 passes for 1,017 yards and seven touchdowns as a receiver. He also added production as a runner (sometimes out of the Wildcat) and return man to give him 2,396 all-purpose yards, a Southeastern Conference single-season record.

We love his versatility, Bennett said. He certainly has the ability to run after the catch. We always talk about YAC, and thats one of his strong suits. He stays on his feet, has tremendous balance and makes the most of his opportunities.

Cobb averaged 9.8 yards per punt return, 24.6 yards per kickoff return and 11.5 yards per reception last season. Most impressive was how much Kentucky ran its offense through him, as his 6.5 receptions per game led the SEC and he threw for three touchdowns in limited attempts at quarterback.

He also has worked as a holder on place-kicks, a job former Kentucky teammate Tim Masthay currently handles for the Packers.

I cant wait to get hold of Tim so I can mess with him about that, Cobb said. Im going to try to take his spot.

Bennett was impressed with Cobbs durability for how often he touched the ball, and he talked about his experience as a quarterback helping him learn a pro offense, an even bigger plus depending on how long the labor situation drags out.

Even Cobb admitted hes still working to reach his potential. As much as the position-switching he did in college helped his team, hes just begun truly focusing on being a wideout.

Ive only been playing receiver for two years, so I can still work on my route-running, just polishing it up and getting better at that as much as I can, he said.

Young players are often able to contribute in the return game right away, and without a true breakaway threat in that area the past couple of years, the Packers will certainly look at what Cobb has to offer there. The Wildcat would be a new wrinkle to the offense, too, but Bennett wasnt going to speak for Head Coach Mike McCarthy in that area.

Neither was Cobb.

If theyre interested, Im definitely down to do it, he said. Theyre going to make the best decision for the team, and if they dont think it should be part of the game plan, then we wont have to worry about it.

Most important to Bennett is Cobbs high character, which he mentioned several times.

Were certainly excited to have a guy of those qualities, Bennett said. Talking about putting him in our (receivers) room with guys we already have in place, he fits what we look for.

He can play and thats the bottom line. You always want to get an opportunity to coach a guy thats driven, a guy that has passion, a guy that loves football and a guy that has tremendous work ethic. It always starts with their attitude.

Thats something about which Cobb remained positive, even as he watched all those other running backs and receivers getting picked ahead of him.

I had to wait a long time, but its great knowing Im coming to Green Bay, Cobb said. God works in mysterious ways, puts us in position to succeed. I was fortunate to still be on the board when Green Bay was picking.

Do yourself a favor and watch this kid's NFL draft profile....OMG. He catches everything effortlessly, like Jennings. James Jones better put velcro on his gloves if he want to stay with the Packers and compete with this kid. This kid could be magic as a returner. Like I said, do yourself a favor and watch his draft high light reel.Tell you don't get excited.....

"nycheesehead" wrote:

nycheesehead, I hope that you're right. James Jones had so many *critical* drops this year, including a wide-open, certain TD pass that, had Jones caught it, would've turned Super Bowl XLV into a Packers' blowout. I hope that Cobb fills the bill.

"PackerJohn66" wrote:

This guy could turn out to be the reason for rodgers breaking the record for touchdowns in a single season. He gots great hands, I don't mean to belittle j.jones, but some of his drops held king Rodgers back from having another 4,000 yard season...well that and the concussions...

"Lombardilegend12" wrote:

This guy rocks. It won't be long before we've all forgotten all those Jones drops. And FINALLY, a return man, how long has it been? And now another RB, A-Rod has got to be smilin'!

"Bubbaloo" wrote:

Being from Kentucky, I've watched Randall develop with UK over the past three years. Even if Mike decides not to run any Wildcat offense, Cobb will definitely be a major asset to the Packer offense. Not to mention the potential for a return game that you can't overlook. When the draft started yesterday I had my fingers and toes crossed that we would pick him up. I knew that Ted wasn't going to drop down as low in the line-ups in the first round. Elated that he was around when number 64 came up.

"KYCheesehead" wrote:

If you bought the official team DVD/BluRay, there is no forgetting the big drops Jones had in the Playoffs & Super Bowl - as they show the perfect passes hit Jones' hands and repelling like two similar poled magnets. Ironically, no replay of the muffed punt return on our first possession in the SB (Jordy?). Imagine if we gave it up inside our twenty. The whole game could have turned out differently.

Still would like Jones to stick around. A bit of focus on catch-first, run second, and we have five unstoppable WRs!

"WaitingListHopeful" wrote:

I live in Kentucky and I follow Kentucky football closely as well as being a life time packer fan. Seeing this kid develop for the last three years at UK has been fun, and I am extremely excited to continue to watch his career at Green Bay. Great pick for the Pack!!!!!!

"watson5050" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
It will be good to have a punt returner so we don't have to put Tramon Williams out there again, but I don't know if Cobb will have an impact in that role. He averaged 7.8 yards per punt return last year. Tramon Williams averaged 8.0 yards, which I think is pretty close to the NFL average.

I think Cobb could have a big impact on offense, though. Even if Jones leaves, the Packers will once again be four deep at the WR spot, and Cobb can do some things that the others can't. I can see him being especially effective on third downs. And between him and Nelson, the Packers are now prepared for Donald Driver's exit.
blank
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.