macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
May have to call in sick tomorrow at work. Crud, missed CMIII, traveling back from my in-laws in RI.

Some photos of CMIII talking to the kids, during a tackling drill, etc. at the bottom of the page (below Suh's photos--he's a beast). 2nd link has some more photos, too.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25100&ATCLID=205177080 
http://www.tribeathletics.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=606208&SPID=80810&DB_LANG=C&PALBID=404532&DB_OEM_ID=25100 

http://www.vagazette.com/articles/2011/06/27/sports/doc4e0110ea7a3a6966982734.txt 

Packing them in

Super Bowl champs highlight football camp

By Sara Bonovitch

WILLIAMSBURG — In less than a week, NFL stars Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews of the Super Bowl  champion Green Bay Packers will headline this year’s Colonial All Pro Football Camp. Joining them are Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, the 2010 Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Rodgers has amassed 12,723 career passing yards. He recorded 28 touchdowns and 3,922 total yards during the 2010 season.

Matthews is a two-year veteran of the NFL. He has 111 tackles and 23.5 sacks. Matthews is also the reigning NFC Defensive Player of the Year.

Suh, who played collegiately at Nebraska, was the second overall pick in the 2010 draft. In his first season, he recorded 10 sacks and 49 tackles.

The 2011 camp opens Sunday and runs through Wednesday.

This year more than 350 participants are expected. That number is then divided fairly equally between the two age groups.

According to Bob Solderitch, Tribe assistant head coach and offensive line coach, most campers are from Virginia.

“We seem to have a number of repeat campers and referrals every year,” he said in an email.

Following dinner on Sunday, campers will take to the field for a couple hours of training and drills.

Campers are on the field three times each day for sessions with the instructors. Monday and Tuesday conclude with on-field competition.

“Our goal is to teach the fundamentals of football while promoting teamwork and having fun,” Solderitch said.

“Hopefully, [it will be] a positive learning experience along with some fun and competition.”

Wednesday’s final day will include an awards ceremony before campers head home.

Fans and non-participants will have an opportunity to catch a glimpse of their favorite NFL stars. While there is no official meet-and-greet session, fans can come to Zable Stadium and watch the action from the stands.

VaGazette, 22 Jun wrote:

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/college/oncampusblog/2011/06/matthews_on_rodgers.html 

Matthews on Rodgers

Clay Matthews, the Pro Bowl linebacker for the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers, was in Williamsburg on Sunday to take part in William and Mary's Colonial All-Pro football camp. He showed youngsters, including one wearing a Peyton Manning jersey and another a Drew Brees one, how to get low and wrap up on tackles while exchanging exuberant high-fives and even a little trash talk.

"Who thinks they know how to tackle?" Matthews asked one group. Every member raised his hand. "Who thinks they can tackle me?" One brave, bespectacled boy kept his hand in the air.

Matthews is the first of three NFL all-starts to appear in Williamsburg. Detroit Lions tackle and 2010 Associated Press defensive rookie of the year Ndamukong Suh will make an appearance on Monday, followed by Green Bay quarterback and Super Bowl XLV MVP Aaron Rodgers on Tuesday.

Matthews said Rodgers has solidified his place in the hearts of Green Bay fans - even those who might still have a soft spot for a certain grizzled QB who preceded him.

"This is Aaron’s team," Matthews said. "The quarterback is the most important position in any sport, and he’s definitely going to take us far. Obviously you need other players around him. He’ll be the first one to admit that, but without him, we wouldn’t be in the position we are today. He’s a fantastic athlete and he’s a fantastic person."

DailyPress, 26 Jun wrote:

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Did you know it was Gay Pride week in SF last week?

When I saw the title...
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
macbob
  • macbob
12 years ago

Did you know it was Gay Pride week in SF last week?

When I saw the title...

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

That made me laugh. Thanks, ZS!
UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
12 years ago
AR photos from the camp are now posted--must have been quite a thrill for the kids to have the Super Bowl MVP throwing passes to them.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25100&ATCLID=205177080 

UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
12 years ago
Article from the camp. In it they call Favre AR's mentor. That's probably stretching the definition of mentor further than most people would stretch it:

http://wydaily.com/local-news/6783-green-bay-qb-rodgers-visits-all-pro-campers-at-wam.html 

Green Bay QB Rodgers Visits All-Pro Campers at W&M

By Jim McGrath

The first things you notice are the hands.

Even from far away, it is apparent that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has good-sized hands. As one observer on the sideline at Zable Stadium called them yesterday, “catcher’s mitts.” Certainly large enough to wrap around a football like most of us wrap ours around a double-decker sandwich.

However, these hands have worked wonders. Five months ago, they were the key to precision passes to Packer teammates Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson en route to a rousing post-season performance of almost 1,100 yards and nine touchdown passes in four playoff games, the last a 31-25 Super Bowl victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The hands that held not only the Vince Lombardi trophy, but also that of the game’s Most Valuable Player. The hands that might be holding an ESPY award in two weeks as either the Best Male Athlete or Best NFL Player, or both.

Not bad for a guy who was only 5’10” and 160 pounds, with no scholarship offers, out of high school.

What? Not true?

Rodgers bluntly interrupted the first reporter’s (fortunately from another outlet) question at yesterday’s press session, held inside the Laycock Football Complex, adjacent to the Stadium. “That’s incorrect. I was 6’2”, 195.”

But the part about no scholarships may have been true.

“I didn’t have any expectations coming out of high school,” noted Rodgers, the star guest of William and Mary head football coach Jimmye Laycock's Colonial All-Pro Camp, which ended yesterday. “I was a realist. I wasn’t a great player yet. I knew that I had a lot of hard work between where I was at and where I wanted to be, at a big-time Division I program.”

Only one, Illinois, made an offer, as a walk-on. In a surprising move, Rodgers turned down the offer and decided to play at tiny Butte Community College, near his hometown of Chico, California. In 2002, after leading his team to a 10-1 record while throwing 28 touchdowns, other schools took notice. California, led by Coach Jeff Tedford, was one of them.

Immediately, Rodgers took charge of the Bears offense, throwing for almost 5,500 yards and 43 TD’s in his first two years at Cal. In spite of having one year of eligibility remaining, the junior made himself available for the 2005 draft and fell all the way to the 24th pick before being scooped up by the Packers.

Rodgers was groomed to be the heir apparent to future Hall-of-Famer Brett Favre. However, Favre began his on-again, off-again relationship with the topic of retirement early in Rodgers’ career, not leaving until finally being traded to the New York Jets in 2008, soon after talking himself out of retirement for a third time.

While many players may have faltered from the unwillingness of the mentor to leave, Rodgers only grew stronger.

“It (the experience) forced me to improve as a football player, but also as a person. I knew that the opportunity was going to come and I was going to have to make the most of it. People were going to be watching, and I knew that the way I prepared for that situation would go a long way in the locker room with those guys (teammates)."

It may have also taught the quarterback something about humility. Yesterday, the large hands of the quarterback who has thrown for over 12,000 yards over the past three years while posting the highest passer rating in regular and post-season history, was lobbing soft passes for hundreds of young campers, waiting patiently for their opportunity to catch a ball from perhaps the hottest hand in the NFL.

For the record, neither hand was sporting the Super Bowl ring that Rodgers and his teammates collected earlier this month.

Back to the camp subject, it would seem that Rodgers was simply emulating his own camp experience as a youth. Again, no?

“I remember being a kid in California and not having this opportunity. To be able to spend time at a camp setting, with college players and Clay (Matthews), Ndamukong (Suh) and myself (Matthews and Suh appeared on Sunday and Monday, respectively), it’s just exciting to be here. Hopefully, we’ll inspire the kids in some way because I remember being that little kid with a dream.”

One parent, Hoss ("Everyone calls me Hoss," he said), brought his wife and children for the festivities. Although living on the Peninsula, both parents are from the Green Bay area, and were happy as Packers fans to be able to see Rodgers and Matthews. “We try to make it here whenever a pro player visits,” he said. The children appeared to be in possession of a Packers helmet which may or may not have been signed over the course of the morning.

Looking at next season, Rodgers is hopeful that in spite of the lost time, his teammates and he will be ready when and if the strike ends.

“I miss the guys. I’m probably in the best shape of my life, but getting ready to play, whenever that happens.” On the team front, he added, “I’m getting ready to begin my seventh year. Capers (Dom, the defensive coordinator) is in the third year with his system. (Head coach) Mike McCarthy is starting his sixth year. We’re not going to lose a lot of players. We don’t have to make a lot of adjustments as a team.”

WilliamsburgYorktownDaily wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (8h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (8h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (8h) : fuck
beast (9h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (9h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (10h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (10h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (10h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (11h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (12h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (12h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (12h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.