TOPackerFan
15 years ago
The Vikes' rushing D was #1 last year, but keep in mind that during the 34-0 drubbing, Grant had around 120 yds on the ground. I'd call that one a wash and I think we take the game due to our coaching edge, provided that Aaron isn't so jacked up for his first start that he stinks up the joint.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
NodakPaul
15 years ago

Isn't Madeiu Williams going to miss the first few weeks of the seasons? I thought I heard that somewhere, but if he is out will that rookie you guys got start?

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Timeline on Madeiu is not official, but yeah, he will likely miss the first fee weeks with a neck injury. I did take that into account, but failed to mention it. (I meant to append the file that I had been working in, but forgot to) Basically I have seen so little of Williams at this point that I didn't know where to rank him, so I based a lot of my analysis on Tyrell Johnson's play so far.

Thanks for the catch!
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
NodakPaul
15 years ago

The Vikes' rushing D was #1 last year, but keep in mind that during the 34-0 drubbing, Grant had around 120 yds on the ground. I'd call that one a wash and I think we take the game due to our coaching edge, provided that Aaron isn't so jacked up for his first start that he stinks up the joint.

"TOPackerFan" wrote:

This is true. But I think we can agree that that was the exception, not the rule, for the Vikings defense last year. And as I alluded, Grant has seen a grand total of zero practice or preseason time so far this season... Even if he is as good as the second half of the season indicates, that will have an impact.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
I like Adrian Peterson, but I have to say that I am not as worried about the Vikings running game as I am basically any other team. Here are some preseason stats to think about if at least just a little.

In a list of running back rankings, it takes the Vikings all the way to rank number 69 to make an appearance with Albert Young. It is actually technically number 71 since it took more attempts than the two others who share the same rushing yards. Now I know AP hasn't gotten most of the reps, but I consider the blocking to be a major element not just the runner.

In this same ranking GB running backs appear at 51 with Brandon Jackson, 43 with Noah Herron, and 14 with Kregg Lumpkin.

So as far as run blocking goes, I am not sold on the Vikings having an advantage on us. I think you can say similar things about AP as you can say about Grant. AP's productivity starting falling as it seemed people were figuring him out. He has that big play ability but we also saw Grant tear away from the line and go the distance as well.

I also see an almost even slate at quarterback. I actually don't believe much of the negative talk surrounding Tarvaris Jackson going into this season. For his preseason stats, although his attempts are less than other teams, he has been efficient going for 2 touchdowns, no interceptions, and throwing for 11 first downs. I think he will have a good year this year if he keeps up this level of play. He has been smart and effective.

Where I think we go past the Vikings is actually our running game. I think we do better at surprising the Vikings than they do to us. A sort of we know what you guys are up to sort of thing. The Bears had our number in this department last season and it seemed judging by the stats that the Broncos similarly dissected us.

Pass defense with both our starters I also think is to our advantage. Our leaders in the secondary have never shown particularly well in the preseason, but they know when and how to turn it on.

I am going to be boring and say that I consider us even mostly due to the fact that we just seem to know each other so well as teams and we tend to go back and forth every time we play.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
johnny_blood
15 years ago
I agree with most of the original post but think it overstates the pass protection problems for the Packers. I think the pass protection will be fine and that Rodgers deserves a lot of the blame for holding the ball too long. He improved on that last week.

You can tell the performance of the Packers offense so far this year just by looking at Rodgers' feet and how long he holds the ball.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
Good analysis Nodak!
I believe Grant is the real deal, so i think we will be as good as we were last year against the Vikings.......IF our O line can do it's job that is.

I also think T-Jack will be better then he was last year as your QB.
I think our special teams will be HUGE in this game though. I think it will give us a short field most of the time, and even get a return for a TD.
I think it will be close, until the 4th quarter, where the Packers run away with it.
I think we will win by 14.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I agree with most of the original post but think it overstates the pass protection problems for the Packers. I think the pass protection will be fine and that Rodgers deserves a lot of the blame for holding the ball too long. He improved on that last week.

You can tell the performance of the Packers offense so far this year just by looking at Rodgers' feet and how long he holds the ball.

"johnny_blood" wrote:

Disagree. Yeah, some of the sacks were because he held the ball too long, but a few some defenders came in untouched, and that scares me. It especially scares me because the Vikes DL is sick. We're going to have to have some good blocking by our RBs.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
NodakPaul
15 years ago

I like Adrian Peterson, but I have to say that I am not as worried about the Vikings running game as I am basically any other team. Here are some preseason stats to think about if at least just a little.

In a list of running back rankings, it takes the Vikings all the way to rank number 69 to make an appearance with Albert Young. It is actually technically number 71 since it took more attempts than the two others who share the same rushing yards. Now I know AP hasn't gotten most of the reps, but I consider the blocking to be a major element not just the runner.

In this same ranking GB running backs appear at 51 with Brandon Jackson, 43 with Noah Herron, and 14 with Kregg Lumpkin.

So as far as run blocking goes, I am not sold on the Vikings having an advantage on us. I think you can say similar things about AP as you can say about Grant. AP's productivity starting falling as it seemed people were figuring him out. He has that big play ability but we also saw Grant tear away from the line and go the distance as well.

I also see an almost even slate at quarterback. I actually don't believe much of the negative talk surrounding Tarvaris Jackson going into this season. For his preseason stats, although his attempts are less than other teams, he has been efficient going for 2 touchdowns, no interceptions, and throwing for 11 first downs. I think he will have a good year this year if he keeps up this level of play. He has been smart and effective.

Where I think we go past the Vikings is actually our running game. I think we do better at surprising the Vikings than they do to us. A sort of we know what you guys are up to sort of thing. The Bears had our number in this department last season and it seemed judging by the stats that the Broncos similarly dissected us.

Pass defense with both our starters I also think is to our advantage. Our leaders in the secondary have never shown particularly well in the preseason, but they know when and how to turn it on.

I am going to be boring and say that I consider us even mostly due to the fact that we just seem to know each other so well as teams and we tend to go back and forth every time we play.

"DarkaneRules" wrote:

You can't look at preseason team stats and use it as a gauge for the regular season. Hell, Albert Young probably won't even make the team this year.

This logic is also flawed because the Vikings have focused primarily on passing during the preseason. In fact, during the first preseason game, they didn't run even once through the entire first quarter and most of the second. Mostly because their passing attack was horrible last year, and that is where they have the most work to do. Peterson has had less that 20 touches all preseason so far - he will most likely get more than that in a single game during the regular season.
--
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
I suppose. I mean the Vikings attempts have been pretty balanced though between rushing and passing. I suppose the Packers could just stuff the box then if the passing won't be utilized as much. 🙂
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
porky88
15 years ago
In the trenches I like the Vikings better but if you look at the Packers spreading the field and going 3, 4, and 5 wide set, Minnesota doesn't match up very well. They don't have the corners and secondary that can go against the Packers passing game.

I guarantee you the Packers aren't going to be stupid and drop back and look for the deep ball. It's going to be a short passing attack. Much like in the first meeting between these two teams.

Two factors I believe aren't talked about enough with the Vikings.

1. Bryant McKinnie. Is he going to be suspended? Last I heard he was but I have to admit I haven't been following it and I dont know if it was made official. If so that is a huge loss for the Vikings.

Aaron Kampman will match up against Ryan Cook on the other side. That alone is a tough task. Minnesotas 2nd string tackle against maybe a KGB or Cullen Jenkins could prove to hurt them. They may have to pay more attention to that combination than they would of liked to have if they had McKinnie in there.

Quite frankly, I like Clifton up against Allen better than Cook against Kampman anyways.

2. Madieu Williams is probably going to be out. Who is starting? Tyrell Johnson. If so the Packers will exploit him. Hes a rookie and even though I like him, hes going to have his hands full back there.

I think the Packers passing attack has a slight edge over the Vikings pass defense. I don't think you cant take the 2nd best passing attack in the league last year versus one of the last in the league at stopping it a year ago and say the team that finished last is going to have an advantage. At the very least we might be looking at a draw pending who is out.

Couple of guys who could miss the game for the Pack and it would be a blow.

1. I think James Jones is a huge loss if the cant go for the Pack because Marcus McCaughly will have an easier time with Ruvell Martin than James Jones.

2. Ryan Pickett is out the Vikings will win the game. Pickett in my opinion is the most underrated player in the division. He doesn't get enough credit he deserves.

I think its very close between these two teams.

Packers passing game > Vikings passing defense
Packers running game < Vikings run defense
Packers pass defense > Vikings pass offense
Packers run defense < Vikings run defense

This game will come down to coaching, discipline, and turnovers.

It can go either way.

I also think the pass protection problems the Packers have won't be as bad as people think. It's like I was saying with short passes.

Minnesota is the type of team you beat with short passes. McCarthy will do that and it will make up for any protection problems. The Vikings may want to blitz the Packers because I think Rodgers has a harder time reading the blitz right now than anything. I'd bring Leber all day.

Also people forget the Packers were 7-1 at home last year. they've beaten Minnesota the last four times. McCarthy hasn't loss versus the Vikings. He has Childress' number right now. The two teams are so close that actually could be a deciding factor.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.