No problem. I'll take one for the team.
Cheesey
15 years ago

I hated it when i got cut too.

"IronMan" wrote:

So they cut the cheese?

"Cheesey" wrote:

And they call ME "Cheesey???"
I think i have spawned some "Cheesey wannabee's". :thumbright: LOLOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I've never been cut in my life from a sport. I cant imagine the feeling of failure. As weird as that sounds.
Cheesey
15 years ago
Technically i never got cut either.........cause i never tried out for a team. I knew i wasn't good enough to even try.
UserPostedImage
gotarace
15 years ago

Technically i never got cut either.........cause i never tried out for a team. I knew i wasn't good enough to even try.

"Cheesey" wrote:

That why they invented bowling and tried to call it a sport Cheesey. :icon_smile:
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Cheesey
15 years ago

"gotarace" wrote:

That why they invented bowling and tried to call it a sport Cheesey. :icon_smile:

"Cheesey" wrote:

That may be true!
I was on the WTTC state championship team in the early 1990's, and i bowled a 300 game in 1999. I have been on several championship teams back when i bowled alot. I had a 197 average back then.
Hey.....some think thats easy. But i'd like to know how many here have ever bowled a perfect game! It's not easy.....believe me!!! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Another candid look from a former player now blogger..

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/08/chad-brown-on-getting-cut/ 

CHAD BROWN ON GETTING CUT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2008, 11:11 a.m. EDT

[Editors note: NFL veteran Chad Brown, a three-time Pro Bowler who played 15 seasons for the Steelers, Seahawks, and Patriors, offers up his own experiences on what its like to be released by an NFL team.]

At the Patriots team facility there is one entrance for players. Just inside, theres a small group of chairs and side tables. Almost every day during training camp, a scouting assistant sits in one of those chairs.

That scouting assistants job is to wait there and grab whatever player V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli or coach Bill Belichick wants to talk to.

Most of the time the meeting that takes place is about that players release. Almost every team in the league has a similar setup. For 13 years, I walked past that guy almost without a second thought. Sometimes, I wondered who was getting the bad news that day. But, most of the time, I just headed into the locker room and started to get ready for my day.

As I went forward in football from Pop Warner to high school to college then into the NFL, I sometimes thought about the guys who didnt make the next step in football with me. Football is so different than other sports in the respect that, your last play is really your last play. The last time you strap on the pads is the last time you strap on those pads for the rest of your life.

Any ex-high school basketball player can hit the local YMCA and, even at 50 years old, he can get a game. I play in a rec softball league, and most teams have one or two ex-minor league or college players who love to hear the crack of the bat (or run over Bette Midler at home plate). Football is different because there arent rec leagues or pick up games at the park. Once youre done, you are done. FOREVER! I often wondered about my high school friends who loved the game just as I did. Did they know after that last game that that was it for them? Did they have any idea that they would never play again? If they had realized it, would they have done something different? Played harder? Lifted more weights? Taken in a little more of the sights, the lights, the smells, the glory and privilege of playing this game?

One day, as I walked in the door that day, I could see the scout looking at me. Then I see him getting up out of his chair to talk to me! Oh sh*t! Im still trying to process my thoughts when he says, Chad, Scott and Bill need to see you.

Huh? I say.

Scott and Bill need to see you upstairs in Scotts office.

Wow, I thought, he was waiting for me. For 13 years I walked past this guy, and now its my turn.

Uh, OK, I mumble and head upstairs. (Well, actually, I took the elevator. At the Patriots facility, only Mr. Kraft uses the elevator. I thought, if Im getting cut, damnit, Im not taking the stairs. Thats right, Mr. Kraft, I took your elevator!)

Sit down, Chad, Scott says. Im still thinking this cant be real, can it? From All Pro teams and Pro Bowls and team MVPs to this?

We need to release you, Bill said in a very calm voice. I really dont remember much of what was said after that. You sit and listen, then you walk out and wonder what just happened, and what do I do next? Ive seen guys after being released head down to clean out their lockers and walk out with all their stuff in, get this, a garbage bag. I never understood how that felt before. Well, now I know. You feel like the stuff in that green bag. Very unwanted. Very disposable.

As a top-level player for most of my career, I never understood how the other side lived. After being cut, I felt their pain. You wonder if you will get the chance to play again. Was that preseason game my last one? Was that missed tackle my last play? Will I strap the pads on again? Before the cut my love of the game was selfish. It was based on how well I played, not on how well my team played; Ive walked out of the locker room after a 35-7 win pissed because I didnt get a sack or I didnt have 10 tackles.

Getting cut will snap you out of that real quick. After being cut youre just happy to have a job.

Getting cut also reminds you of just how special the game is. What an awesome privilege it is to play the great game of football. To have the chance to make 65,000 fans jump out of their seats, to hear the roar of the crowd after a big play, or to see fans wearing your jersey. Somehow getting cut makes all that even more special. Its too bad that you cant have the perspective when you are a young player, so you could really savor each moment of the great game of football.

I think only after getting cut and having your football life flash in front of your eyes do you really understand how lucky you were to play this great game of football, the amazing American pastime, at its highest level.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
gopackgo
15 years ago
Nice find 93, and great read.

Loved the elevator bit!
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.