nerdmann
12 years ago

I am always surprised at the bile and venom some of you spew against Favre. I don't like the guy -- he's not the kind of person I get along with, so he would rub me the wrong way on the screen or in real life. But while I find him irritating, some of you truly loathe the man. The vehemence with which you express it impresses me.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Are you saying that the notion of him deliberately throwing those interceptions is far fetched? Have you SEEN some of these interceptions? Do you think he purposely laid down for Strahan? Do you think he engages in questionable behavior off the field?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
12 years ago
Really interested to see what moves Theodore Thompson makes here at center for us. No moves = the offensive line playing musical chairs again. Once Wells signed with the Rams, some Packers beat writers immediately jumped to say Lang can fill the void at center. WHY?

This is one thing I will always disagree with TT/MM on. Our offensive line switching spots all the time doesn't do them any favors and doesn't do 12 any favors. Lang at center is not the answer.

This is a way bigger gamble than letting Jenkins go.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

Really interested to see what moves Theodore Thompson makes here at center for us. No moves = the offensive line playing musical chairs again. Once Wells signed with the Rams, some Packers beat writers immediately jumped to say Lang can fill the void at center. WHY?

This is one thing I will always disagree with TT/MM on. Our offensive line switching spots all the time doesn't do them any favors and doesn't do 12 any favors. Lang at center is not the answer.

This is a way bigger gamble than letting Jenkins go.

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

If there's one guy who can move around, it's Lang.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rios39
12 years ago
Jeff Saturday has a meeting set up with the Packers...Speculation though is that he will follow Manning to Denver so we'll see.
blank
Pack93z
12 years ago

Jeff Saturday has a meeting set up with the Packers...Speculation though is that he will follow Manning to Denver so we'll see.

Originally Posted by: Rios39 

Lord I hope so.. his needle on the gas tank is clinking off the empty peg. This solves no issue for the Packers as I can see, and it will probably cost us too much as well.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Rios39 

Too old for uncle Ted.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
While my opinion is not as "foil bonnet" as Nerds, I think the passing of Irv also had a big part in it. With no accountability between his passing and the time Thompson showed up, Favre was surrounded by enablers. Losing that angered Favre greatly. Nobody tells him no or they will have to pay. Which is why he tanked the '05 season.

When Favre said "don't fire Sherman or I will quit", and they did, he kind of lost it. He pushed Thompson to get Moss, who Favre really didn't care about, because he wanted an issue to walk out over. He actually left Green Bay, went back to Mississippi and told Cook to arrange the deal. Thompson refused to even discuss it. McCarthey had to go talk Favre down and ask him to come back. Favre did, but he still tanked the '06 season.

Having his "buddies" get hired in MN he probably figured he could go back to doing whatever he wanted to in Minnesota. Knowing that Thompson would never let him do that, Favre probably went to Chilly for advice. Between them and Cook, they hatched the escape plan. My reason for including Chilly is that Favre had a "change of attitude" where he worked really hard to have a good season. If he had the third consecutive season with a 70 rating, Chilly probably wouldn't be able to convince the Vikings to pick him up. Providing he could get out of his contract. Because he would appear washed up.

Having Thompson foil his plans by getting the exemption from the league was the last straw. Which is why Favre had to run to the Lions and "other teams" and decode his playbook for them. My guess is that it was Minnesota, because they were admittedly in talks with Favre at the time, and Chicago. Because that is where Favre would do the most damage. Nobody tells Favre what to do or he will make them pay.

Which is why Favre actually played fairly well in '09. He was so mad that he did all the things that the Packers told him to do when he rebelled.

I don't know if Favre threw the pick against the Giants in the NFCCG on purpose. He proved his point, he was cold and disinterested in the game. They were keeping it close in spite of Favre's disinterest. Favre could have just wanted to get it over with. So he floated up a duck to end the game. I don't know. But I wouldn't put it past him.

With a borderline personality disorder, Favre wouldn't need a lot of reason to want punish the Packers, Rodgers and Green Bay in general. Just saying no to him would have amounted to a life threatening insult. He would see sabotaging as an appropriate level of response for having been denied anything he wanted.

Nobody says no to him, that is just unthinkable. So he doesn't have an appropriate response to it. Whether it is the Packers or a married therapist he wanted to nail. He just doesn't understand when someone says no.

That "no" is all that was needed to set him on that path of distruction.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Free agency: The idiotic part. 
This is possibly the most over-covered week of anything we do in writing about the league, this first week of free agency. I knew it had gotten totally out of control on Saturday when Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted: "Amazingly, I'm sensing angst among some Giants fans again about Jerry Reese's lack of offseason action.''

Reese is the general manager of the New York Giants. He has had the job five years. He is notoriously slow off the draw in free agency, and he is not alone. In recent years, noted GMs and personnel czars like Ted Thompson (Green Bay), Mickey Loomis (New Orleans), Kevin Colbert (Pittsburgh) and Bill Polian (Indianapolis) have let the free agency field settle down before going after players of moderate cost. In the last six seasons, those franchise architects -- Reese, Thompson, Loomis, Colbert, Polian -- have won every Super Bowl. Not saying the patient way is the only way to team-build, but come on. Reese did nothing big in 2007 and 2011 and won the Super Bowl both times.

Relax, people.

Peter King wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

Are you saying that the notion of him deliberately throwing those interceptions is far fetched? Have you SEEN some of these interceptions? Do you think he purposely laid down for Strahan? Do you think he engages in questionable behavior off the field?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I wasn't saying anything of the sort (though I do tend to take a dim view of conspiracy theories). I simply wasn't addressing that topic at all.

My point was that while Favre was still in Green Bay, and I was ranting and railing and cursing and caviling about Favre's fuck-ups and foibles, I felt like a lone voice in the wilderness. Then after Favre committed the apparently unforgivable and went to Minnesota, suddenly the venom spewed forth from his erstwhile fans. That is what has surprised me. If people felt like that about him before he left, they weren't very vocal about it -- or at least I never noticed.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

I wasn't saying anything of the sort (though I do tend to take a dim view of conspiracy theories). I simply wasn't addressing that topic at all.

My point was that while Favre was still in Green Bay, and I was ranting and railing and cursing and caviling about Favre's fuck-ups and foibles, I felt like a lone voice in the wilderness. Then after Favre committed the apparently unforgivable and went to Minnesota, suddenly the venom spewed forth from his erstwhile fans. That is what has surprised me. If people felt like that about him while before he left, they weren't very vocal about it -- or at least I never noticed.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I was on Thompson and the Packers side when Favre tried to force his way back on the team.

I wasn't as against Favre when he retired, but when he came back, I was done. Then I looked into it farther and found a lot of material that I built a theory off of.

By the time he went to Minnesota, it was beside the point.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.