gbpfan
15 years ago
arod first real game i think he will be airing it out to our w.r unless frount line can open holes for the run game the williams boys wont have it tough against moll but then again who knows the d-line they stop the run game that is the imporant part jackson is like vick feels he needs to win on his own our d-line will be tough special teams will make great plays nelson will run it to the 50 give arod a chance,feel godd about this game not a blow out but i will say 24 14 packs win it
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Monday is going to be a loooooooooooong workday.
UserPostedImage
mrpacman
15 years ago
i wish da game was 2morrow.
Jonathon
TheEngineer
15 years ago

[Editors note: Former Broncos G.M. Ted Sundquists initial three-pack of scouting reports concludes with Monday nights game between the Packers and the Vikings. Ted will breakdown this game next week.]

Probably the only person more ready for the season to begin than the Cheesehead faithful is Green Bay G.M. Ted Thompson. Thompson and his staff entered the offseason with the understanding that this would be Year One of the post-Favre Packers. Instead, Favre backed out of his retirement and placed Thompson and the team in a difficult position. That said, both appear to have gotten their wish, as Favre is with a new team and Green Bay continues on with QB Aaron Rodgers. What better way to see the future than to face division rival Minnesota in Week One? The Vikings feel theyve added the necessary pieces to push Green Bay for the NFC North title in 2008.

One things for sure, Brett Favre left Green Bay on top of his game. The Packers were one of the leading offensive teams in 2007. Favre was the 6th rated QB in the NFL, his offense was 2nd overall and the Packers were able to strike quickly against just about every opponent they faced. Green Bays mantra was pass early and often, and the reliable receiving corps didnt let them down. The Packers were 2nd overall in plays of 20+ yards (run/pass), 7th in quick strike drives (4 or less plays) and 2nd in the least number of dropped passes. That resulted in 435 points.

Now its Rodgers turn. Taken in the first round of the 2005 draft, Rodgers has personified patience. He was sharp in two outings last season, one a 34-0 blowout win over these same Vikings at Lambeau Field (though in fairness it was in mop-up duty). He certainly looked more than capable of guiding this offense in the preseason, passing for 68.5%, over 8 yards per attempt, 3 TDs and only one pick. So, KEY #1 will be the ability of explosive WRs Donald Driver and Greg Jennings to exploit an otherwise weak Minnesota secondary (opponents threw 65% of the time). The duo combined for 18 receptions and 227 yards, scoring one TD over the course of two meetings in 07. The Vikings were one of the worst teams in shutting down both the opponents #1 and #2 WRs last year. Drivers sure-handed reliability kept the Packers in the top 10 for third-down conversions, while Jennings presented a big play threat that produced 52 passing plays of 20+ yards in 07. I see Green Bay working to the side of Cedric Griffin, who statistically struggled in successfully shutting down the pass last season. Griffin was targeted 19% of the time, yet had a significantly low success rate of 39% (ranking well outside the range of starting corners).

If Green Bay hopes to take the early divisional lead they must shut down the explosive running game of the Vikings. The Packers struggled to corral rookie sensation Adrian Peterson in Week Four, but thoroughly shut him down at home Week Ten, allowing only 45 yards. KEY #2 will be the play of WLB A.J. Hawk, who is questionable with a chest injury, and SS Atari Bigby, who is probable with an ankle. Hawk has the speed, quickness and instincts to squeeze the backside and meet Peterson in the hole before he can cutback. He is a physical, sure tackler, one of the League leaders at LB. With the lack of a strong passing game, Green Bay will be able to bring Bigby down into the box to assist against the run. Bigby came into his own as a starter in 2007 and his size and punch at the point are perfect for such a scenario. Both Hawk and Bigby will be employed in a manner that will allow them to fill at the line of scrimmage unblocked, however they MUST be consistent in their breakdown and wrap up as the last line of defense. Any missed tackles by these two could lead to big plays on the ground, of which Peterson and the Vikings led the NFL in 07. Counter that with the fact that the Packers defense was 2nd in the least number of runs over 10 yards and you get the unstoppable force versus the immovable object syndrome. Somethings gotta give.

So its no secret as to what and who makes the Vikings offense go; the running game of #28. But with the emphasis of the Packers shutting down the Viking ground attack, QB Tarvaris Jackson must step up to the plate, which is KEY #3. To say that Jackson has been the focal point of questions concerning the 2008 season would be an understatement. Jackson must be a game manager more than anything, doing just enough to keep opponents off balance as he hands the ball off to Peterson and company. Theres nothing wrong with this by any means. Its just that in managing a game, you cant turn the ball over as many times as Jackson did in 07 (15 to be exact). His preseason performance showed excellent growth in this area, passing for 68.2 % and throwing no interceptions. With the defense stacked to stop the run, Jackson must find ways through playaction, roll out and bootlegs to get the ball downfield and convert 3rd down via the pass. If he can do this, Minnesota should improve on their ability to sustain some longer drives (they ranked 29th with drives over 10 plays) and chew up the clock on the road.

For the Vikings to succeed on defense they must find a way to get to Rodgers. Minnesota was excellent against the run last season, to a degree because they were so vulnerable to the pass. As stated earlier, opponents came out with the intent of attacking the Viking defense through the air. Minnesota was near the bottom in just about every statistical category defending the pass; first-down passes, second-down passes, big play passes, first downs made via pass, net passing yards and total passing. You get the picture. What they can do is rush the passer and they did just that with 38 sacks and ranking fourth in the League off the blitz. Off-season acquisition Jared Allen brings his impressive 15.5 sacks to make up for the loss of Kenechi Udeze, diagnosed with leukemia (my best to him). Allen joins the emerging young Ray Edwards (5 sacks and 11 hurries) as the two pressure points on Packer OTs Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, which is KEY #4. What I like most about this tandem is their length, coupled with excellent athleticism. They both play the point strong, but can also maneuver to get to the QB. Green Bays OTs are two of the best at protecting theirs, but that was Favre in 07. His ability to elude pressure is legendary, however Rodgers was sacked 7 times in the preseason alone. Look for Minnesota to utilize the blitz and do everything they can to free up their speedy DEs off the edge. This pressure may confuse and frustrate the young Rodgers, forcing the Packers to run more against the Viking stingy ground defense (1st in the NFL).

KEY #5 in a close game (and I see this being one) could be the strength and accuracy of your placekicker. Green Bays Mason Crosby is one of the emerging young stars at the position. His leg strength and overall power give him the capability of hitting FGs from 50+ yards. These could be found points if the offense stalls out before reaching the red zone. He also is capable creating a long field for Minnesota with his kickoffs and the ability to reach the endzone (14 touchbacks 07).

Ted Sundquist wrote:

blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

..Vikes win ....

"vikesrule" wrote:

<from the "I never thought that I would say this" chronicles>

aadp is correct.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

That was before I got my senses back.

Pack will show the world Monday Night, even without Brett the Pack is Back!
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

..Vikes win ....

aadp is correct.

"vikesrule" wrote:

See, the rats let AADP out...
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

..Vikes win ....

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

aadp is correct.

"vikesrule" wrote:

See, the rats let AADP out...

To be honest, for a while there I thought God was telling me to be like Brad Childress... I obviously misinterpreted the signs.

Big Time.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
brnt247
15 years ago
Spread the ball out in 4 wide and 5 wide sets and hit Driver and Jennings on the slants. Why change the game plan when it's so easy to work and so tough to stop. This limits their front line works like a running game, plus Jennings and Driver can break one loose at any given moment. 28-13 Pack.
blank
packedhouse02
15 years ago
Our defense, not theirs, will be the key to this game. If can get 3 and outs, we'll win the game. That means we gotta stop Peterson and we have to take a chance at making Jackson beat us. I think if our defensive backs play well we win this game.
blank
walleye
15 years ago
we will win this one!
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.