PackerTraxx
11 years ago
S

Signed to the practice squad were Wide Diondre Borel, tight end Brandon Bostick, quarterback B.J. Coleman, tackle Andrew Datko, defensive end Lawrence Guy, offensive lineman Chris Scott, running back Marc Tyler and guard Greg Van Roten.

This looks like a pretty decent practice squad for us. I'm glad to see Coleman and Datko on the squad. Borel, Bostick and Tyler look like some insurance. Tyler doesn't have much speed but he ran tough, enough that he could help in a pinch. Bostick is similar but that one surprised me. Still hoping Guy will develop. There was a good article I read on Van Roten so maybe he can develop for the future. Anyone know if he can play center?Don't know much about Scott except he's big.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
11 years ago
Tyler's gonna drop some weight and see if he can add speed. If he can't I say they bulk him back up and make him a FB. I think he could challenge Kuhn in that capacity.

Bostic reminds me of Spencer Havner.

I'd like to see what Datko can do once he starts getting stronger. Be nice to have two backup swing tackles. It's an area of need.

And as for Coleman, I think we could really get something for him in a year or two. He's got the raw materials and MM's staff is gonna show him how to use it. Sky's the limit, really.

A guy like Graham Harrell might get a shot to start at some point. But he's probably gonna be a career backup. But Coleman's got potential to be the man somewhere.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
11 years ago
QB Coleman ~ TON of VERY RAW potential. Has a lot of little things to work on, but a year or two of QB school and the Packers MIGHT have something very good if they're able to keep him that long.

RB Marc Tyler ~ I think he's a good receiver out of the back field but I just didn't see the spark or potential. Maybe if he loses some weight (like someone said he's trying to do) he might show more. (I kinda wanted Tauren Poole from the Panthers, who already have a good group of RBs, also Coleman and Poole played together before Coleman transferred)

WR Borel ~ Borel has a quick twitch just like Driver/Cobb, with a little time and space can make something happen. But needs to catch and hang on to the ball... also less east/west on punt returns (IMO).

TE Bostick ~ I didn't see the practices but I've read he had a pretty good camp as an UDFA WR trying to become an NFL TE.

OT Datko ~ He showed some potential, and could become an NFL OT.

OG Greg Van Roten ~ Sounded like he did well in the pass rush drill and improved well over his time. Not sure if he can play OT or C though.

OL Chris Scott ~ I'm a bit disappointed, Scott comes from the Steelers which I don't think has had the best OL or OTs. I thought Scott had some potential coming out in the draft best I guess he hasn't be able to get it out yet. But he's from the Tennessee Volunteers (so were Scott Wells and Chad Clifton (also I think QB Coleman played with Scott before Scott went pro/Coleman transferred)

DE Guy ~ Based on college video, I think he's got some potential, seemed to be able to get attack the play. But struggled with double teams and when they ran it right at him. I really didn't see much from him this preseason, which is disappointing because I thought he'd break out. I think he's better than other PS DL guys we've had in the past, but I don't know if he'll be able to break out or not.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
Too heavy on offense.
Normally I like having a WR in the group just in case. This year with 6 on the roster I don't think it is necessary.
If Quarless comes back healthy Bostick could be gone if they like someone else more.
As I said many times (mainly to Dakota.) I expected Datko to end up on the PS.
I hoped they would keep Tyler and give him a chance to develop.
Last chance for Guy.
Even with the current OLmen Scott is on the bubble.
Don't have much of an opinion one way or the other on Van Roten. I think the coaching staff would like to get a little more of a look at him and see if he can work his way onto the roster.
Coleman of course is necessary.

All in all if Uncle Teddy sees someone else on the waiver wire he will pull the trigger and grab him.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago
WPR - the PS is heavy on O because the 53-man roster is heavy on D.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

WPR - the PS is heavy on O because the 53-man roster is heavy on D.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

you are prob correct Sir. I was thinking about D needs and it didn't really seem like they needed someone on the PS "just in case" but I failed to mentally make that distinction.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
Nerd, those are interesting thoughts on Tyler, drop weight, if that doesn't work, then add weight. As I said, I like his toughness so if either one works that would be a good thing. Being the son of an NFL player he seems to understand what it takes to make it in the league. I think Coleman and Dakto have a high ceiling and it will be interesting to watch their development.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
11 years ago

OL Chris Scott ~ I'm a bit disappointed, Scott comes from the Steelers which I don't think has had the best OL or OTs. I thought Scott had some potential coming out in the draft best I guess he hasn't be able to get it out yet. But he's from the Tennessee Volunteers (so were Scott Wells and Chad Clifton (also I think QB Coleman played with Scott before Scott went pro/Coleman transferred)

Originally Posted by: beast 

More on Scott.  

After spending his first two NFL seasons with the Steelers, the 6-foot-5, 332-pound offensive lineman arrived at Austin Straubel Airport at 4 p.m. on Sunday to begin the next stage of his career on the Green Bay Packers’ practice squad.

A fifth-round pick (151st overall) in 2010, Scott was the only player the Packers signed to their practice squad who didn’t spend training camp in Green Bay, joining quarterback B.J. Coleman, running back Marc Tyler, wide receiver Diondre Borel, tight end Brandon Bostick, defensive lineman Lawrence Guy and offensive linemen Greg Van Roten and Andrew Datko.

Scott earned the nod after impressing coach Mike McCarthy and the rest of the player personnel department in what turned out to be his final game with the Steelers against Carolina last Thursday.

“It was probably his best performance of the preseason, just in my opinion in viewing the tape with the personnel department Saturday,” McCarthy said. “He’s definitely a young man. He spent three years in Pittsburgh and we feel it was important to bring him in and take a look at him. Physically, there’s a lot to like. I thought he played very well in that game and I’m excited he’s here.”

A three-year starter at the University of Tennessee, the 25-year-old Scott has played all over the offensive line with both the Volunteers and in Pittsburgh, but said he took all of his snaps at left guard with the scout team Monday.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (10h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (10h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (11h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.