josdin00
15 years ago

I think a lot of us with Green and Gold lenses like to minimize just how much Favre did last year. Sure it's a team effort, but scouts do this for a living. It's no coincidence that they picked Brett Favre as NFC North MVP. They make predictions like the rest of us, but the difference between us and them is they have more access than we do. Of course not implying they can't be wrong.

I do think the Vikes will give us a good run. Even without my Green and Gold aside though, I still think we have a more complete team than MN. Do not underestimate Ryan Grant. When our OL comes together, he's going to do a lot of damage to opposing Ds. Our D is solid. No weak spots. On top of that, I'll say something bold right here - our QB is the best in the division and by the end of the year, you'll see I'm right.

But I'm not counting out the Vikes. They're going to give us a good divisional fight. They got some sick playmakers, including the #1 guy in the NFL in sacks and the #2 RB in the NFL. We have better coaching and a more complete team.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your QB statement, but then again, you proabably expected that. The Pack do have a very complete team, but not any more so than the Vikings.

Pack 'holes':
-Ryan Grant held out most of the preseason. Frequently, when that happens, the player is more suceptable to injuries when they come back, due to lack of conditioning. We've already seen evidence of that with his hamstring injury. I don't know if this will affect him or not during the regular season, but it is a concern.
-The offensive line is falling apart, and needs more patches than that moth-eaten old quilt in your grandma's attic. This hurts both Rodgers and Grant.
-Rodgers has the reputation around the league of being somewhat injury prone. The Packers 2 backups are both rookies.

Vikes 'holes':
-Tarvaris Jackson needs to learn to :xcensoredx: slide!
-With Mckinnie suspended for the first 4 games, the left side of our OL will have some struggles early in the season
-Defensive depth. Injuries hurt us this preseason. Our starters are mostly ok, but the talent level behind them is a little thin in spots.
UserPostedImage
josdin00
15 years ago

Yes, they are for real. Favre made everyone around him look better, and the Packers won't have that this year. From what I saw in the preseason, the pack's o-line looks shakey, and Rodgers doesn't have the experience to deal with that, at least not right away. The Vikings made vast improvements in personel this offseason, and the two teams are now at a point where the only differentiating point between the two teams' skill levels is at the QB position. People outside the NFCN don't know what to expect from Rodgers and Jackson. During the preseason, Rodgers looked inconsistant, and Jackson looked good (when healthy). I think that pushes the Vikings a little bit ahead of the Packers in most outsiders' eyes. It's going to be a close race. Anyone who thinks otherwise stopped paying attention last December.

"warhawk" wrote:

Last December? I guess I don't get it. The Vikings beat three teams with a losing record and lost the final two games like they always do.

"josdin00" wrote:

Let me rephrase that sentence to clarify -

Anyone who thinks otherwise stopped paying attention at the end of last season.
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
You take away Jared Allen from the acquisitions in the off season, and its basically the same team. I don't know when one defensive player made a team a contender.

But w/e that just makes popping the bubble so much better, than the gum splatters and gets stuck on their face, and their stuck trying to peel it off all season.
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your QB statement, but then again, you proabably expected that. The Pack do have a very complete team, but not any more so than the Vikings.

Pack 'holes':
-Ryan Grant held out most of the preseason. Frequently, when that happens, the player is more suceptable to injuries when they come back, due to lack of conditioning. We've already seen evidence of that with his hamstring injury. I don't know if this will affect him or not during the regular season, but it is a concern.
-The offensive line is falling apart, and needs more patches than that moth-eaten old quilt in your grandma's attic. This hurts both Rodgers and Grant.
-Rodgers has the reputation around the league of being somewhat injury prone. The Packers 2 backups are both rookies.

Vikes 'holes':
-Tarvaris Jackson needs to learn to :xcensoredx: slide!
-With Mckinnie suspended for the first 4 games, the left side of our OL will have some struggles early in the season
-Defensive depth. Injuries hurt us this preseason. Our starters are mostly ok, but the talent level behind them is a little thin in spots.

"josdin00" wrote:

Good points. Yes, history is not on our side when a RB holds out and barely plays preseason. Yes, our OL is spotty. Our OTs are da bomb, but with Wells injured, I'm not too happy about the other 3 spots. This could cause some serious problems for our running game.

I do think that Packer fans like to gloss over the fact that Brett Favre would take hits and get right back up. Nothing against Rodgers, but you can't expect Rodgers to do the same. Brett Favre made a lot of Packer fans take the QB spot for granted. Look at the other 31 teams. How many teams had a QB who started the past 32 games without injury? That's only 2 years. How many teams had their QB start all 16 games last year?

Beyond Rodgers, we're in trouble. If he goes down this season, we're not going very far. I really like Rodgers, but with our OL, I do worry about his health.

As for your holes, I haven't watched enough of the Vikes to reply, but I do know from the other site that you know football, so I'll take your word for it.

I will however stand up for what I said about Rodgers. If his health holds up, he's going to be considered the best QB in the NFC North. His health though is depending on our OL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Packnic
15 years ago
Favre did cover up a lot of things. He also exposed several things at times too. And warhawk brings up a great point as well, where was this "cover" in 05. So Favre can cover up for good players but not bad players... that makes sense.

We won the division by 5 games last year. 5 games. 5 games. 5 games.

adding Jared Allen doesnt make the Vikings 6 games better than the Packers. Jared Allen is a good player and the Vikings are a good team. But hes not a Reggie White player. Hes an Aaron Kampman kind of player. Hard worker and very solid player but not a game changer.
Clifton handled his ass last year like child's play.

bottom line is that the Vikings were just as excited about last season as they are this year. and thats the truth... Last year was the year, everything was gonna be different and they were finally gonna do it. then they lost the division by 5 games. 5. 5 games. 5.

I hope to God they do come into this season thinking they are the best. Over look us. Keep asking who Aaron Rodgers is. Keep talking trash. Keep raising your expectations. Keep pumping your offseason like you do every year and we will take the rings as usual.

But truthfully, they have thought they were the best many many times before.... and thats the way it goes when you have never known what its like to REALLY be the best. you just gotta guess every year.
blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

Favre made everyone around him look better, and the Packers won't have that this year.

"josdin00" wrote:

True... if you're talking about the first month of last season. Favre carried us. But as the season progressed, our team started to develop to the point that Favre simply had to let his play makers handle their business.

From what I saw in the preseason, the pack's o-line looks shakey, and Rodgers doesn't have the experience to deal with that, at least not right away.

"josdin00" wrote:

Um yeah we're returning all 5 starters from last year's o-line that grew and matured beautifully. Going into the first game, 4 of the 5 starters last year are starting again. The C is being replaced with the starting G, and the new starting G is a 3rd year player that is no slouch.

The Packers o-line play may have been shaky this pre-season, but not as much as it was during the first month of last season. They got things together very quickly, so it isn't as if this is a major cause for concern.

During the preseason, Rodgers looked inconsistant, and Jackson looked good (when healthy).

"josdin00" wrote:

Inconsistent? He had one bad game... the 49ers game.

Every other game he was quite accurate, made good reads, and quite frankly played well. He's no Favre, but he doesn't need to be with the way our O has matured.

I've had a change of heart... I think Packers win opening night 24-20.

At worst, the Packers should be a 10-6 team, at best they've got the potential to go 12-4. But they have to gel awfully quickly for that to happen, something I wouldn't count out.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
15 years ago
I'm fine with him using the word "inconsistent" to describe Rodgers in the preseason, although I'd have some arguing points.

I had another Vikings fan call his performance in the preseason as "dismal". :lol: 103.6 passer rating that would've been higher had Francies not let a pass bounce off his chest for an INT. Dismal. :lol:

I'm not worried about Rodgers at all. Our O-line is my main concern. And I want to see our run D step up. Take care of those things and I am looking for 12+ wins this season.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
15 years ago
While our DL might be a little less potent than last year, I honestly believe they are going to toun our LB loose like a pack of starved dogs on a hindquarter of cow.

Popp as a rusher situationally; Barnett and Hawk blitzing with intent; and add to the mix some safety and DB options. We will perform at a very high level on D as a unit.

My only concern about Rodgers is health....and there is quite a difference between being hurt, and being able to play hurt. To me, Rodgers seems like someone who is incredibly strong mentally, and will be able to face adversity down and play through it.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
NodakPaul
15 years ago

I'm fine with him using the word "inconsistent" to describe Rodgers in the preseason, although I'd have some arguing points.

I had another Vikings fan call his performance in the preseason as "dismal". :lol: 103.6 passer rating that would've been higher had Francies not let a pass bounce off his chest for an INT. Dismal. :lol:

I'm not worried about Rodgers at all. Our O-line is my main concern. And I want to see our run D step up. Take care of those things and I am looking for 12+ wins this season.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

It also would have been lower had the Tennessee CB not screwed up. You can't play the IF game. If the queen had balls she'd be the king. Doesn't make it so...

I wouldn't call Rodger's performance dismal by any means. Especially as the preseason went on. I would call the OL dismal though.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
walleye
15 years ago
why's that?
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.