Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

I say let him play out his last year. He did a better job in the middle than Raji did.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I trust Pickett, even with the age factor, more than I trust Raji. I don't want a streaky player who plays Hall of Famer for a few games, then disappears for twice as many. I want someone who is dependable. I want a DT who is an immovable object with arms of steel far more than I want a DT who can make three sacks in a game once or twice a year. Pickett is the former. Raji, at least by what he has shown so far, looks like the latter.

Cool dude. Like the man. But I'd rather have someone more consistent at the position.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
11 years ago

I trust Pickett, even with the age factor, more than I trust Raji. I don't want a streaky player who plays Hall of Famer for a few games, then disappears for twice as many. I want someone who is dependable. I want a DT who is an immovable object with arms of steel far more than I want a DT who can make three sacks in a game once or twice a year. Pickett is the former. Raji, at least by what he has shown so far, looks like the latter.

Cool dude. Like the man. But I'd rather have someone more consistent at the position.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Wade, I'm a fan of Raji, but I am beginning to see he has really regressed since his drafting in 2009. He should be a beast up there, and he is definitely not. Why pay him the big bucks? That being said, if Ted wants to do away with him from our roster, he best get TWO NTs of high quality, because we were one short WITH Raji.

I would not mind a significant upgrade in the middle with some serious NTs added to our roster, via draft or trade. Our offense is pretty good, but I would not mind seeing another defense heavy draft, especially on the line, and maybe a proven FA addition or a veteran in trade.

Our sack totals went up this year, but we couldn't stop the run. Of all the playoff teams this year, we were dead last in rushing D. For the regular season we were middle of the road at #16. That is not good enough. Our passing D, in spite of a decent sack ranking at #4, was still only #22 in the NFL during the regular season. And that is with what I thought was a pretty good secondary, #8 in picks.

Oh, yeah, pay Pickett. Our best DL.

Add to this the fact that Jerel Worthy may not be able to play in 2013, and I would got heavy, heavy, heavy on drafting quality defensive linemen, and possibly making a trade. Maybe, for once, we could get a real, quality rotation on the line that is a complete menace to opposing offenses.

Starting 2012 very light at DL was a huge part of our undoing. Especially when one of those players, Raji, is slumping. In his defense, the kid has played an enormous amount of reps through all of 3 seasons, 2010-2012. Way too many IMO. Why? Because we had no one to rotate in at NT. No one.

That, to me, is a big knock on Ted and his personnel crew. That's one of the most important parts of a defense, and that area alone, filled with high end talent, makes the rest of your defense better. For whatever reason, we went light here, and depended on rookies and Mike Neal to improve our DL play from 2011. Far too little to work with there.

I would trade Finley in a heartbeat to get a top talent at DE, DT or NT. Whether that is a package deal, or to move up in draft order if they see someone they really want.

Imagine, a solid defense, a solid, committed running game, and one of the best passers in the NFL with a decent stable of quality receivers. That would be a big improvement for the Packers.
yooperfan
11 years ago
Player for player trades rarely happen in the NFL.
So if you are thinking of trading a player like Finley for a quality DL, forget about it.
steveishere
11 years ago

I would trade Finley in a heartbeat to get a top talent at DE, DT or NT. Whether that is a package deal, or to move up in draft order if they see someone they really want.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

It's too bad pretty much nobody with or in a position to get a top talent at DL would do that deal.
DakotaT
11 years ago

Player for player trades rarely happen in the NFL.
So if you are thinking of trading a player like Finley for a quality DL, forget about it.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Yet so many in here believe that's all you need to do. The NFL is about palcing high value on draft picks and manipulating players contracts to most effectively control the cap situation. Nose tackles and Left tackles do not fall from the sky. The answer isn't to replace Raji, it is to light a fire under his ass. His problem is that he is lazy, and doesn't understand what a privilege it is for him to play in the NFL. Trgavoc needs to find the right psychology to motivate him, that is part of his job.

UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

Yet so many in here believe that's all you need to do. The NFL is about palcing high value on draft picks and manipulating players contracts to most effectively control the cap situation. Nose tackles and Left tackles do not fall from the sky. The answer isn't to replace Raji, it is to light a fire under his ass. His problem is that he is lazy, and doesn't understand what a privilege it is for him to play in the NFL. Trgavoc needs to find the right psychology to motivate him, that is part of his job.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I agree, and was not insinuating a straight trade of Finley for some awesome player. What I am in favor of is throwing him into a trade package that could work. The entire league saw clearly that he was overvalued. Yet, we've seen teams that fall in love with measurables. Maybe one bites.

I also think Raji has what it takes to become a better player. I just wonder if you risk the gigantic contract in order to find out.
doddpower
11 years ago
Raji is a fine player and would be missed if he leaves (unless we replace him with someone better of course, but that's the case with anyone). However, it's not easy to find big guys like Raji. Raji isn't elite, but he can be a very effective player so long as he has another really good player beside him, such as Cullen Jenkins. Is that ideal? Obviously not. It'd be best to have Raji be a beast regardless of who he was playing beside, but it's just not reality. Line him up next to another formidable player, and that's a nice combo. Raji isn't worth elite money, but he is valuable to this team, make no mistake. At times he can push the pocket at a high level and really disrupt the middle. He is a big reason why Adrian Peterson struggled up the middle at times, along with Pickett of course.

Just think about how the Packers have struggled to find quality defensive linemen, especially ones that can stay healthy. If Raji walks, who would be comfortable with the Packers ability to replace him anytime soon? I certainly wouldn't. I think it's best to stick with what they have. Give Raji a reasonable extension, and try to find better players to put around him. I honestly don't think Raji will demand or get anything other than a reasonable contract if he hits the open market, anyway. It might as well be with the Packers. If they were able to have a good rotation to keep him fresh, he will continue to be a "good" player, but perhaps not "great." Teams have to find ways to win with "good" players at several positions anyway, because the great ones are hard to come by, especially when drafting in the late first every year.
play2win
11 years ago

Raji is a fine player and would be missed if he leaves (unless we replace him with someone better of course, but that's the case with anyone). However, it's not easy to find big guys like Raji. Raji isn't elite, but he can be a very effective player so long as he has another really good player beside him, such as Cullen Jenkins. Is that ideal? Obviously not. It'd be best to have Raji be a beast regardless of who he was playing beside, but it's just not reality. Line him up next to another formidable player, and that's a nice combo. Raji isn't worth elite money, but he is valuable to this team, make no mistake. At times he can push the pocket at a high level and really disrupt the middle. He is a big reason why Adrian Peterson struggled up the middle at times, along with Pickett of course.

Just think about how the Packers have struggled to find quality defensive linemen, especially ones that can stay healthy. If Raji walks, who would be comfortable with the Packers ability to replace him anytime soon? I certainly wouldn't. I think it's best to stick with what they have. Give Raji a reasonable extension, and try to find better players to put around him. I honestly don't think Raji will demand or get anything other than a reasonable contract if he hits the open market, anyway. It might as well be with the Packers. If they were able to have a good rotation to keep him fresh, he will continue to be a "good" player, but perhaps not "great." Teams have to find ways to win with "good" players at several positions anyway, because the great ones are hard to come by, especially when drafting in the late first every year.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

I totally agree with this doddpower. Totally.

Raji has had an inordinate number of snaps since the 2010 season. Ridiculously high. He had 6.5 sacks in 2010, alongside Cullen Jenkins.

Add talent around him and behind him, to maximize his talents. This player does better in rotation, and finally adding a real talent alongside him and Pickett wouldn't hurt. We've needed that for two years now. Let's not make it three.
DakotaT
11 years ago

I totally agree with this doddpower. Totally.

Raji has had an inordinate number of snaps since the 2010 season. Ridiculously high. He had 6.5 sacks in 2010, alongside Cullen Jenkins.

Add talent around him and behind him, to maximize his talents. This player does better in rotation, and finally adding a real talent alongside him and Pickett wouldn't hurt. We've needed that for two years now. Let's not make it three.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

There's nothing wrong with the talent of Neal and Worthy. I do think with Worthy's injury, we should invest one more high pick in a 5 technique DE.

UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago

There's nothing wrong with the talent of Neal and Worthy. I do think with Worthy's injury, we should invest one more high pick in a 5 technique DE.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Definitely. Especially since Worthy is very questionable at that position even when healthy.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.