Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

Thanks Macbob.

I was one of the people who did the research and concluded that D is #1 and QB is #2 (and RB is irrelevant).

Gay is new to the site so probably hasn't seen that stuff. Long story short, Gay. I had an argument with RaiderPride awhile back. He said "Defense wins championships" and I said he was full of it. So I did research to prove him wrong and ended up proving him right.

If you look at all the SB winners, they generally are in the top 5 in Defense (counted by Points Allowed, the most important defensive stat). Our 4 SB winners were #1,#3,#1, and #2 respectively. No coincidence. Of course, having an elite QB is the #2 factor. In all four of those games, we had elite QBs - Bart Starr, Bart Starr, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers respectively.

The one SB we lost, our D was #5. We didn't get the sacks we did the year before when we were #1. Which of course brings us to 2010 vs 2011. 2010, we had the #2 D and high 40s in sacks. 2011, we had the #19 D and high 20s in sacks. Our 2011 QB was better than our 2010 QB, but there is no doubt in my mind that the 2010 team would have slaughtered the 2011 team if they met in the Playoffs.

So yes, QB is the most important position. No argument there. But as a unit, D is more important than the QB position when it comes to winning Championships.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Very nice reasearch. I had a feeling that most of the SB winners were top 10 D's. Interesting. 🤔
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Very nice reasearch. I had a feeling that most of the SB winners were top 10 D's. Interesting. :-k

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Just for you, my new friend. Unfortunately, most of my other research is still on that website that should not be named.

http://www.packershome.com/yaf_postst10776_The-importance-of-Defense-in-Packers--History.aspx 

Funny before we won the SB in 2010, I wrote this article with the hope that since we had the #1 D (Pittsburgh ended up barely beating us by the end of the season), we had a pretty good chance to win the SB that year. Turned out of course, we did.

Enjoy.

(And just so you know, I'm a QB fan. I wish QB was > D, but my research showed it wasn't so).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

The NFL’s trade deadline is this week (it was moved back from Tuesday to Thursday because of Hurricane Sandy) and the Green Bay Packers are reportedly looking to make a move — for St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson.

This isn’t the first time the Packers have been connected to Jackson, who seems to be taking a back seat to rookie Daryl Richardson, but that doesn’t mean a move is imminent.

Dallas, Arizona and Pittsburgh are also reportedly interested in the 29-year-old. The one thing that is for sure is the Rams are looking to move on.

Both Jackson and the Rams have mutually agreed to let him opt out of his contract after the season.

We’re not really sure the move would make sense for the Packers, since no one can open a hole for Alex Green. Then again, Jackson is a bruiser who can break tackles and that’s obviously what you need when your back is always getting hit in the backfield. Cedric Benson, who also fits that mold, was effective before going down with a foot injury.

The question then turns to how much Jackson has left. He’s had more than 1,000 yards in seven straight seasons. He has 403 so far this season and is averaging 3.7 per carry. So the evidence suggests Jackson has some left in the tank.

It’s hard to see Ted Thompson paying much for a guy who might only be with the team for half a season though.

source 
UserPostedImage
nyrpack
  • nyrpack
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

source 

Originally Posted by: wpr 

and all you guys thought i was crazy, someone in packerland is listening to me !! lol
jimmy b.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

and all you guys thought i was crazy, someone in packerland is listening to me !! lol

Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

Well, you may be right, but that still doesn't mean you're not crazy. [grin1]

Hope you and yours are OK. I've seen pictures and video. Pretty scary to be in NY right now.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
11 years ago
So according to the St Louis rag.. Rams want a 3rd round pick for Jackson.

I believe that to be more than Ted would be willing to give up for a rental.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1663/steven-jackson 

Steven Jackson - RB - Rams
According to ESPN's John Clayton, there's been "no action right now" on Steven Jackson in trade talks.
Reliable colleague Adam Schefter had previously reported that the Rams have already fielded not just phone calls but offers from several teams. "Don't expect a trade," says Clayton, however, citing the prohibitive $3.705 million remaining on Jackson's salary. DeAngelo Williams "probably is unlikely" to be dealt, says Clayton. It's hard to imagine Williams being amendable to adjusting his salary, which has $2.779 million remaining. Per Yahoo's Brian McIntyre, a Williams trade would also cost the Panthers $1.4 million more against the 2013 cap than an offseason release. Clayton believes LeGarrette Blount "may be the most tradeable" back on the market, as he's due less than $300,000 the rest of the way and may only cost a seventh-round pick.
Related: DeAngelo Williams, LeGarrette Blount

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch believes it's become "painfully obvious" that the Steven Jackson era with the Rams is "drawing to a close."

The paper believes inquiring teams are only "window shopping" at the trade deadline because they're too smart to meet a third-round asking price, and it's not worth dealing Jackson for anything less than that. The reworking of Jackson's contract and the elevation of Daryl Richardson to a timeshare role, however, suggest the rebuilding Rams will move on from the 29-year-old team leader this offseason. Oct 30 - 2:19 PM

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
If the Packers make a move to acquire a back.. this options seems more realistic in my mind.

"Several" league executives tell CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora that they would not be surprised if LeGarrette Blount were shipped out of Tampa Bay prior to Tuesday's 4PM ET trade deadline. 

The same execs named Rams WR Steve Smith, Browns QB Colt McCoy, and Dolphins QB Matt Moore as trade candidates, although the latter is much less likely with Ryan Tannehill coming off Week 8 knee and quad injuries. A Blount trade would probably the least surprising of the group. The Bucs can move forward with D.J. Ware and rookie Michael Smith behind featured workhorse Doug Martin. We suspect they couldn't get back more than a sixth- or seventh-round pick.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
Now.. I have to go here with this topic.. just because it is me.

Here is the ranking of Free agent backs currently available... why trade anything with a couple of these options out there. Or at least bringing them in for workouts before trading value away to garner another back.

I think the Packers aren't that worried about the Back spot right now..

Running Backs

1. Tim Hightower
2. Ryan Grant
3. Steve Slaton

4. Thomas Jones
5. Joseph Addai
6. Mewelde Moore
7. Kahlil Bell
8. Cadillac Williams
9. Tyrell Sutton  - A fan favorite in GB a couple years ago.
10. Ryan Torain
11. Maurice Morris
12. Rock Cartwright
13. Dimitri Nance
14. Lonyae Miller
15. Jerious Norwood
16. Sammy Morris
17. Chester Taylor
18. Deji Karim
19. Kregg Lumpkin
20. Xavier Omon
21. Harvey Unga
22. Kareem Huggins
23. Davin Meggett
24. Herb Donaldson
25. Chad Spann

RajiRoar
11 years ago

If the Packers make a move to acquire a back.. this options seems more realistic in my mind.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I Really like Blount as a RB, I love bruiser type backs.

but as a person he is a PoS, and as a teammate also a PoS.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

I Really like Blount as a RB, I love bruiser type backs.

but as a person he is a PoS, and as a teammate also a PoS.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

I don't know if I would go that far. He has had some well documented issues, but I can think of a few Packers who have thrown punches.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.