beast
11 years ago

I like the idea of a fake but have some other problems with play they picked.

1) They faked a run but sliding him to his left... that might be fine if he was an experienced passer... but as far as I know he's not, why not tell him to stay put so he can focus on proper foot placement, which leads to a better pass.

2) Why did they put in two kickers? That didn't make sense to me.

2a) If they're doing it off of a fake FG kick they could of put Cobb in as the holder (Cobb has been the holders and still is the back-up holder) also Cobb has played the wild cat QB in college and has also thrown some WR passes in college, and much more of a threat to run it and get away from a pass rush. Also I think Cobb is left handed just like the punter.

2b) If they did it off of a fake Punt they wouldn't of had to put in Crosby, who I think most people didn't think was a threat to be thrown to.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
Do you not think if they put Harrell or Cobb in to hold for the kick that the Jags might have read that something is up?

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago

I like the idea of a fake but have some other problems with play they picked.

1) They faked a run but sliding him to his left... that might be fine if he was an experienced passer... but as far as I know he's not, why not tell him to stay put so he can focus on proper foot placement, which leads to a better pass.

2) Why did they put in two kickers? That didn't make sense to me.

2a) If they're doing it off of a fake FG kick they could of put Cobb in as the holder (Cobb has been the holders and still is the back-up holder) also Cobb has played the wild cat QB in college and has also thrown some WR passes in college, and much more of a threat to run it and get away from a pass rush. Also I think Cobb is left handed just like the punter.

2b) If they did it off of a fake Punt they wouldn't of had to put in Crosby, who I think most people didn't think was a threat to be thrown to.

Originally Posted by: beast 

1. Masthay is the normal holder unless I'm crazy
2. Putting Cobb in there immediately tips off the special teams to trickery. By leaving Masthay in there rather than sending Cobb back to pass, it's much more believable that they were just going to punt it away. With Cobb back there, it's obvious they're trying to pick up the first down. Maybe they could try sneaking him in elsewhere in the formation, have Masthay lateral it to him if nobody's wide open right away and let Cobb decide whether he's going to run with it or pass it. But that's too complicated of a play IMO.
3. Masthay's not a terrible passer, in fact his other NFL throw resulted in a TD for what that's worth. He just didn't make a great read, and tried making a very difficult pass. The pass itself looked good, just way underthrown because he was throwing it something like 15 yards deep across the length of the field. He might not be a terrible passer, but he's still a punter, he's going to have a noodle arm.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

2. Putting Cobb in there immediately tips off the special teams to trickery. By leaving Masthay in there rather than sending Cobb back to pass, it's much more believable that they were just going to punt it away. With Cobb back there, it's obvious they're trying to pick up the first down. Maybe they could try sneaking him in elsewhere in the formation, have Masthay lateral it to him if nobody's wide open right away and let Cobb decide whether he's going to run with it or pass it. But that's too complicated of a play IMO.
3. Masthay's not a terrible passer, in fact his other NFL throw resulted in a TD for what that's worth. He just didn't make a great read, and tried making a very difficult pass. The pass itself looked good, just way underthrown because he was throwing it something like 15 yards deep across the length of the field. He might not be a terrible passer, but he's still a punter, he's going to have a noodle arm.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

agreed. Cobb as the holder would have changed the coverage personnel. They would have potentially changed personnel if they say Cobb on the field anyway. After reviewing 100 other kick formations without Cobb would have meant something was up.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
11 years ago
It made one of the top 5 dumbest decisions on "Mike and Mike".
beast
11 years ago

Do you not think if they put Harrell or Cobb in to hold for the kick that the Jags might have read that something is up?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Do you think the Jags are stupid enough not to know something is up when Tim Masthay stands up in shotgun and Crosby and the others spread out? The set-up TOLD the other team something is up. You could of had anybody in there and the Jags would of known something was up when they switched to the different set up.

So

1) The set-up told them something was up no matter the player

2) The Packers have been able to sneak Flynn into a couple different ST plays, why would Cobb be different?

3) Even if it's not Cobb, faking a punt and putting someone in there besides Crosby would of still be better set-up.

1) I agree Masthay is the normal holder.

2) If they see Cobb, then yes maybe... but Cobb is also the back-up holder, and they could sneak him in just like they did with Flynn.

And the set-up gave it away that it was a trick when they spread everyone out and the punter stood up. Why would you have a kicker as a gunner? It was clearly a trick after that.

3) His touchdown pass was what, a 5 yard screen pass with a long run?

Also I think it's fine with Masthay passing it, my problem with that was putting him motion and then asking him to pass it. To me it wasn't a noodle arm pass, it was a pass off his back foot, while leaning back-wards and the wrong way. If you're going to ask a kicker to pass it, keep them in the pocket (unless they're good with their footwork on the run, which was one of the problems (also that he had a rusher in his face, but if he stayed put, the blocker would of been between him and the rusher, and he wouldn't of had to rush the pass.)

UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
My point is that while it's obvious that it's a trick play when they change formations, it's NOT obvious that they're going to try to go for the first when you send your punter back in shotgun formation in a spot in the field where a punt would be ideal. The second Cobb is back in shotgun, any doubt is completely eliminated. As far as Crosby going out wide as a gunner, where else is he supposed to go in that formation where he's less likely to get killed?
Pack93z
11 years ago

Do you think the Jags are stupid enough not to know something is up when Tim Masthay stands up in shotgun and Crosby and the others spread out? The set-up TOLD the other team something is up. You could of had anybody in there and the Jags would of known something was up when they switched to the different set up.

So

1) The set-up told them something was up no matter the player

2) The Packers have been able to sneak Flynn into a couple different ST plays, why would Cobb be different?

3) Even if it's not Cobb, faking a punt and putting someone in there besides Crosby would of still be better set-up.

Originally Posted by: beast 

It was about personnel grouping on the Jags part... so.. they didn't shift until after the players are set.. so by trotting out Mastay, the Packers apparently liked the match ups with the personnel on the field. The benefit of even trotting out the unit.. to gain the personnel advantage, or what they perceived to be so.

Otherwise.. if you are just going to go for it.. then why not have your best players on the field.. with Rodgers leading the play?

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
11 years ago

It made one of the top 5 dumbest decisions on "Mike and Mike".

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Hiring Mike Greenberg for that should of been one as well...
okay maybe not really...

But the guy bugs the crap out of me, giving a 5 to 10 minute blow by blow of what they've already covered after every commercial break... the people that have been listening don't need it because they heard you the first time...

And I don't mind a recap.... but not after you come back from every single break, and they don't need to be so long.

Also he doesn't know sports...

nor would he let his kid order french fries for breakfast at ihop, you know the important stuff jk

UserPostedImage
beast
11 years ago

My point is that while it's obvious that it's a trick play when they change formations, it's NOT obvious that they're going to try to go for the first when you send your punter back in shotgun formation in a spot in the field where a punt would be ideal. The second Cobb is back in shotgun, any doubt is completely eliminated. As far as Crosby going out wide as a gunner, where else is he supposed to go in that formation where he's less likely to get killed?

I agree with what you're saying about Cobb there.

My point is simply they already raised red flags by going from a FG look to a Shot gun / punting look... that red flag got them thinking.

If they wanted to pass out of the punt look, they should of started in the punt look with Crosby on the bench (which he's even less likely to get killed)

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.