play2win
11 years ago
I think they are saving Starks. Why not? Seems like biffing Green up the middle for 0-3 yds 20+ per game is working now. Might get us through to week 11, where we can start bringing Starks along at a more dedicated # of reps with less fear of injury. Seems kind of dumb to me on some levels. On others, not so much. Starks' history has been that he is not all that durable, so I can see why they might use caution. On the other hand, the guy is a football player, and this is the NFL. If Starks is ready to go, which from what I've read he is, then get him in there!

I like Green, but I am wondering if he is reading the blocking schemes correctly. Seems like he has run into areas where he shouldn't - which makes both he and the OL look bad. I would like to know if this is in fact part of the problem. OL blocking for an outside run, and the kid takes it inside... that kind of stuff.
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

I can honestly say James Starks would provide better carries than Alex Green. Green has the Ryan Grant syndrome. Head down, into OL. You are right, Mike McCarthy doesn't like something about James Starks, his practicing habits, or lack thereof. This was documented a year or so ago and I feel it has persisted. Also, Starks is made out of glass so I think they figure they have X amount of carries with him and prefer to use them when it counts. Kinda like having a six shooter, you don't take wild shots, you wait until the most opportune time to hit the trigger.

Alex Green is superior receiving threat, hence why I said he should be the 3rd down back, which obviously the person who came back with the "I'll see you and raise you a" with receiving stats failed to comprehend. I'd rather the carries split between them while waiting for Cedric Benson to return. You get the best of both worlds in the meantime.

That's not going to happen, so I'm putting my eggs in the Alex Green basket and hope he gets 25 carries and 125 yards rushing against the Cardinals.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Agreed I think that would fair better than just one of them carrying the load.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
Why show all your cards in regular season games?

2 years ago nobody knew who Starks was when he took the field.

Unfamiliarity works for a little while in the NFL.

James had a good run throughout the playoffs, but as has been stated before, his practice habits and other things have seemed to keep him from becoming a #1 or at least a #1A running back.

Go to packers.com and watch the latest(after Texan game) Mike McCarthy Show, Randall Cobb was the guest player.

Wayne Laravy(sp?) and then a member of the crowd both asked about Randall Cobb being more involeved in the offense.

The answers will make you laugh.

I posted in the other thread, I believe Mike had a plan against The Jaguars and he stuck with it.

Like it or not, the five guys that are the Packers o-line are the best option The Packers have.

I'm gonna give it a little more time before claiming Alex Green cannot be an every down back.
I have faith Mike McCarthy will come up with a plan that will work.

My prediction, when needed the most, don't know if it is this week or sometime later in the year, Mike will bust out some type of wildcat package featuring Randall Cobb.

Without Greg and now Jordy(hopefully he's back this week), The Packers need someone to become the go to playmaker and IMHO that guy is Randall Cobb.

EDIT:

Latest from KFFL:

Packers | Alex Green to remain the starter
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:50:03 -0700

Green Bay Packers RB Alex Green will remain the team's starting running back over RB James Starks due to his breakaway speed. The team would rather continue on with Green as the lead back rather than trade for Carolina Panthers RB DeAngelo Williams or St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson, too. General manager Ted Thompson prefers to save salary cap space so he can work on contracts for LB Clay Matthews, DT B.J. Raji and QB Aaron Rodgers.

Share: | Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Silverstein

http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl/green-bay-packers#ixzz2AuuUuvDC 
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
11 years ago
I've been critical of Green, but that one article explained alot to me. He's actually got a pretty good per carry average, except when he tries to run behind Newhouse and Land. Makes alot more sense now.

I'd still like to see them play more to his skill set though.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
11 years ago
I recall Starks having poor practice habits in the past. Someone may want to check me on that, but I think it was just after his debut against San Francisco in 2010, and he received poor reviews this training camp. In fact, his lack of progress is what prompted Green Bay to go and sign Cedric Benson. Perhaps Starks is just game day player with a poor practice routine. Regardless, Alex Green isn't getting it done and it wouldn't hurt to work Starks into the game plan more.
gbguy20
11 years ago
fuck this bring back samkon gado
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I recall Starks having poor practice habits in the past. Someone may want to check me on that, but I think it was just after his debut against San Francisco in 2010, and he received poor reviews this training camp. In fact, his lack of progress is what prompted Green Bay to go and sign Cedric Benson. Perhaps Starks is just game day player with a poor practice routine. Regardless, Alex Green isn't getting it done and it wouldn't hurt to work Starks into the game plan more.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Yes sir, I also mentioned the practice habits earlier in this thread. I've noticed when Mike McCarthy speaks on Alex Green, it almost seems like the things he over states are meant for James Starks ears. "He practices VERY well" ... then you almost hear "James, you hear why Alex is playing and you're not?" lol
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Here is my thought on the topic.. why not Starks.

This is with the premise that we are marching forward with the stable we have.

Starks has not been a model of durability in college nor the pros.. but he has playoff experience under his belt. So he provides value as the playoff push and run draw closer, hence his still being on the roster.

But I think the Packers are trying to protect him somewhat so he is fresh towards the end of the year and in the push. Benson is a maybe on his return at best, that injury is just that unpredictable. Increasing Starks value in the postseason.

So the Packers are feeding Green the ball currently with hopes that experience leads to performance improvement. Green was a one cut hole reading back in college, to write his vision off already is premature in my eyes. He isn't going to improve on the sidelines.. so feeding him the rock now is going to tell the Packers what they have in him.

My opinion as runners, I like Green better as a pure runner, he runs behind his pads and low. Starks on the other hand is more vertical, and although he runs with some power, he takes a beating in the process.

Summary, I think the Packers are better off with Green as option 1 and Starks as the overflow for the above mention reasons at this point. Starks will get to knock the rust off and yet is protected as a back can be in terms of injury risks. Benson's progress will then dictate the roles moving forward, if he comes back, Starks will move more towards the feature back and Green will overtake the role the serves him and the Packers best.. 3rd down and change of pace.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Holy smokes. Point by point, this is what I was gonna write. OK, Pack93z beat me to it so he gets an applause point. I'm pretty sure this is why 🇲🇲 is still feeding Green the carries, point by point.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
olds70supreme
11 years ago
My thoughts, take them for what they are worth:
[list]
  • The Starks vs Green stats listed for 20+ carries came behind different offensive lines (Jeff Saturday is detrimental to the running game).
  • I don't think that Starks having played in a playoff game means much, if anything. As far as executing as a running back a game is a game, regardless of whether it is regular season or post season. As far as leadership during a playoff game, he is waaaay down on the list of influences on the roster.
  • [*]I am probably wrong on this, but it seems like Kuhn is rarely on the field for running plays this year. Maybe with his influence Green would be able to put up comparable numbers to Starks.[/list]
    blank
    zombieslayer
    11 years ago
    Kuhn maybe being saved for the Playoffs as well. We all know that whereas Kuhn's not gonna break the big one, tackling Kuhn hurts you more than Kuhn.

Green WILL bust a big one. It's just a matter of time. Green in the open field > Starks. I love Starks' brutality, but in the open field, my Grandma will catch up to him and tackle him. Green on the other hand will get away.

Green can handle the load. He already proved that. Starks is always injured. Starks also seems to piss of 🇲🇲 a lot.
    My man Donald Driver
    UserPostedImage
    (thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
    2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.