olds70supreme
11 years ago
I recently eliminated cable and internet through Charter (our only option) to save the $55/mo, thinking that the over the air network channels plus netflix would be enough. This is in an attempt to pay down student debt faster. They are, except where I am my TV tuner only picks up two channels (and only on in HD), CBS and FOX. I am right on the edge of the broadcast range (~65 miles) of the Twin Cities stations, so my goal is to find an antenna that picks those up. I've tried a homemade coathanger antenna (successful for the two local channels), an amplified indoor rabbit ear style antenna (moderately successful, sometimes could pick up a single station (NBC) from the TC). Now I am looking at going all out, due in large part to frustration over not being able to watch the game on NBC tonight. I know some basics about ideal antenna (mount up high, minimize obstructions, minimize cable length), but do not know any specifics, such as:

1. How long exactly can the coaxial cable be?
2. What antenna should I buy?

All of the stations I am looking to pick up are oriented ~33 degrees to the northeast of my house, so a directional antenna should be adequate. I have looked online and nobody seems to have a specific antenna recommendation for this, only that it should be an amplified version.

Anybody have any experience out there that wants to offer some advice?
blank
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
RG6 offers noticeable signal loss around 75-100 feet. I've hated cable or satellite for financial reasons. It's too expensive. The alternative is a $8 per month netflix subscription and redbox movies. We've been fine and enjoy the extra monthly savings.

Here's a thread regarding this ...
http://packershome.com/yaf_postst6006_Digital-TV.aspx?= 

Use the antenna map to see the distance of the furthest local station is from your residence and ensure the antenna purchased reaches.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
I didn't grow up with cable TV and I've never felt the need to buy it. I'm not a huge TV person, not to say that I don't enjoy TV shows but it's not worth the money to me. I have HD over the air for free for Packers games, netflix for movies, and some DVDs for a few TV shows. Saved a lot of money over the years by not paying for cable TV.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Yep, all the TV shows I like are on national broadcast. I do catch White Collar when its on USA's website, but its not important enough for me to pay for 98 other channels I don't care to have, nor pay for.
UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
11 years ago
Netflix, Irish pubs, and the neighbors [grin1]

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
olds70supreme
11 years ago
I agree with not needing cable, and have been without for awhile now (3 months). I am just looking for ways to improve my low cost TV experience. If I was able to find an antenna for under $200 that would give me the TC channels I would be thrilled. Here is a report on tv coverage:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcc494a47d45bff 

According to this it would be challenging, but possible, to get the TC stations (shown on the chart in pink). On the other hand I don't want to spend $150-$200 for an antenna that does no more than my homemade one does now.
blank
Porforis
11 years ago

I agree with not needing cable, and have been without for awhile now (3 months). I am just looking for ways to improve my low cost TV experience. If I was able to find an antenna for under $200 that would give me the TC channels I would be thrilled. Here is a report on tv coverage:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcc494a47d45bff 

According to this it would be challenging, but possible, to get the TC stations (shown on the chart in pink). On the other hand I don't want to spend $150-$200 for an antenna that does no more than my homemade one does now.

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

I'm not sure how elaborate your existing antenna might be but I'd take a look at this link  (Thanks to Zero2Cool from the thread he linked to above), and take a look at what type of antenna (omidirectional or directional) is recommended to get which station. I used to have a link to a few different antenna designs but can't find it, here's one example  of a more elaborate one you could build if you've got the room for it. Otherwise there's plenty of other designs out there  of varying complexity. You could of course buy premade antennas but you're obviously going to pay a lot more money versus doing it yourself. I'll be getting my first house in less than a month and I'll need to experiment around with stuff then, if you're still looking for help then and I find something that works good for me I'll let you know.
Fan Shout
dhazer (36m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.