Zero2Cool
11 years ago

This season.. Rodgers has openly asked for players to be signed (Chad Clifton).. so did the last MVP QB in the locker room.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I haven't talked to Cliff in a while, but I would guess he might be able to be lured from Nashville. I love Cliff, so I would never not want to see him up here. We've had a lot of fun together, and it would be good to see him back up here.

I think if there's any interest, it's worth looking into. At least (it'd be worth) bringing him up here and seeing what kind of shape he's in, how his body is. It's worth that if there's interest on our side.

Aaron Rodgers wrote:

James Jones is the only player Aaron Rodgers has asked publicly to be signed. He also has since stated that was a mistake and won't do it again.
UserPostedImage
Cal2GreenBay
11 years ago

Agreed.. and this lead to the demise of the last QB.

This season.. Rodgers has openly asked for players to be signed (Chad Clifton).. so did the last MVP QB in the locker room.

This season, Rodgers criticized the play calling openly, much like the former legend QB.

Neither are anything more than human. Both are no more important upon the field than the weakest link on the offense. Both were competitors that want to win at any costs, often willing themselves to the physical extend to do so. They expect nothing less from all aspects of the franchise including the coaches and General Manager.

They are human.. with human emotions.

A QB is not deserving of the praise or blame they garner from the press and fans, they are not deserving of the demi-god status we seem to want to place upon the position blindly because they are a QB.

Rodgers in this instance has proven himself more often as a good person, a great leader and player and very open with his comments and thoughts. Even if he reacted poorly to interview questions, or rightfully objected to lousy questions, it does not define him as a person nor damages his leadership standing.

His actions week in and out do that.. not some reaction to an interview question. If he started degrading a teammate, talking about others financial business, or critical of decision on the playing field in open public.. that I can see damaging his leadership status. Not rating the validity of a press question.

For instance, I loathe the ground the Billy the Cheat walks upon for his actions, but I care less if he blew off CBS's interview. Especially if his emotions had gotten the better of him at the moment.

Selfishly I want to read everything I can about our team, the players thoughts, but in the same light, I don't hold it against them if they choose to restrain from talking to the press.

Aaron Rodgers is a human.. a ultra competitive human at that, I have no issue overlooking comments made based on emotions directly after a game or season as long as they are no degrading the opposition or teammates.

Maybe the press itself is overtly sensitive in this regard. Or maybe they really did ask lousy questions.

Great post Pack93z.

The reason I supported him in college and into the pros, was because of his focus and very unique approach to throwing and his cerebral approach to the game.

He is just as aggressive a player as his predecessor without being
a liability as a gambler.

What I am disappointed by is his HUMAN side coming through to the point that it's starting to resemble his predecessor.

I know a lot of people can separate the player from the person, but I am a fan of both. I can't make the distinction.

If you guys are saying that his precedessor's weird photo texts to some girl(not his wife) did not affect your admiration for him as a QB. then more power to you.

For me, it was definitely a factor and he lost my respect(Plus I saw his predecessor display those qualitiles FIRST HAND at multiple pro bowls but that's another story).

It's hard for me to separate the player from the person with Aaron as well. To his credit, he shows no signs of having incidents like his precessor with cell phones 🙂. But also to his credit, he also has some really strong opinions that don't put him in a good light.

Aaron has a nasty side, and it shows more now. I always saw him as a stand up guy, but he's morphing.

He himself said his draft fall was a humbling experience because he realized he was cocky(that cockiness is what made the 49ers not draft him).

His cockiness seems to be ON THE COMEBACK. Criticizing the coaches, voicing personnel decisions are just not good form. It's very Favre-esque and the ultimate irony would be that Aaron become a one and done superbowl quarterback on a pass happy team with a loud/opinionated QB.

I HOPE that's not how this story ends.
blank
El3ment12
11 years ago

This is a very Favre-esque comment.

Originally Posted by: Cal2GreenBay 

What do you mean?
Pack93z
11 years ago

James Jones is the only player Aaron Rodgers has asked publicly to be signed. He also has since stated that was a mistake and won't do it again.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I guess it is all about how you read the comment.. "it's worth looking into" isn't openly asking him to be signed but also isn't not offering his opinion on the topic.

Also, "Bring him on" in reference to Lynch.

Yes, it is not Randy Moss proportions.

But go ahead on continue on with your point.. we just happen to disagree on the comments. To me, it is a suggestion upon personnel. Subtle but yet there based on his media clout.

My context for the comments is that players have opinions.. why should we crush one and not the other for "overstepping" their bounds. They are both players and not coaches or General Managers.. basically this deal with the interview question is minor compared to other points on Aaron Rodgers comments in the press.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago

Rodgers didn't say a thing about it until that rookie showed he could have success taking over for cobb. He started saying it the same time everyone else did. He didn't have some secret guy lurking in the background that he wanted to take over for him.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

The comment was made  after the Titans game when Cobb got injured. Cobb was injured with 8:04 left in the third quarter. Ross took his first punt return with 3:38 left in the third quarter. What's more likely - that he brought it up because Cobb got injured on special teams and he was a dynamic player on offense that had the most consistent success of anybody on offense, or because Ross made a couple good returns after Cobb went down? None of Rodgers comments mentioned Ross, and while I'm sure Ross' success factored in a bit to those comments, how does that translate to suggesting that Ross should be out there full time, including in playoff games?

What I find kind of pathetic is how the media has tried to turn Rodgers into a perfect man on and off the field since the super bowl win. And now after a disappointing loss in the postseason without an MVP and record-setting season to slobber over, you see more and more crappy sports writers tearing him down. Football players are people, they're not perfect. Don't put them on a pedestal, and if you do, don't tear them down the second they don't live up to your expectations.
Pack93z
11 years ago
My opinion of Rodgers is the fun aspect of the game has disappeared.. this season rarely did you see him smile on the field.

Is it expectations catching up to him?

Is it other aspects of his life have overtaken his passion for the game?

Or maybe he is succumbing to chatter in the press about him, the criticisms have become to important within his cranium.

But something seemed to be amiss, the emotion was lessened and the smile almost non-existent.

At the end of the day it still should be a game... upon the field, let the business aspect control the rest except the 60 minutes of play upon the field. That should be fun.. and if it is not, either loosen up a bit or it may be time to get out.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I guess it is all about how you read the comment.. "it's worth looking into" isn't openly asking him to be signed but also isn't not offering his opinion on the topic.

Also, "Bring him on" in reference to Lynch.

Yes, it is not Randy Moss proportions.

But go ahead on continue on with your point.. we just happen to disagree on the comments. To me, it is a suggestion upon personnel. Subtle but yet there based on his media clout.

My context for the comments is that players have opinions.. why should we crush one and not the other for "overstepping" their bounds. They are both players and not coaches or General Managers.. basically this deal with the interview question is minor compared to other points on Aaron Rodgers comments in the press.

I didn't take his comments in response to being asked about Chad Clifton as he was asking for Chad Clifton to be signed. That's all. I see where you are coming from though. He kind of threw the bone in front of the dog, but can still backtrack (to so speak) and say he didn't give the dog the bone.

I'm not sure if this started earlier, but I noticed this season I started to like Aaron Rodgers less. I think he's a great QB, one of the top 3 (I can't name two better that I'd rather have), but I think him yelling at James Jones on the field, the throwing a fit at Mike McCarthy after the red flag, a few comments in his post game interview ... I just think he's getting too many free passes for things and not held accountable as he should.

McCarthy was able to knock Brett Favre down a peg or two ... now he (my opinion) needs to do the same with Rodgers.

UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago
I think any issues Rodgers, McCarthy, or anyone else MAY have had this season or now (after examination under a microscope, essentially), have more to do with a talented team not meeting expectations and losing more than anything else. As always, the best cure to any of these things is to win more. Win more regular season games perhaps, but even more so, at least make it out of the divisional round and be competitive in the NFC Championship game. A loss like the Packers suffered in the divisional round is likely to leave many finger pointing and nitpicking at possibly insignificant actions in the minds of those actually a part of the organization.

So as has been said many times already, add a few more pieces, and seriously contend for the Super Bowl and it's almost guaranteed silly little issues like these will magically resolve themselves, with the exception of the few who cling onto anything they can find to "prove" their point. Color me not concerned about anything at all, other than a little more talent, development, and better coaching, with the latter being the most crucial aspect. I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but it's just what I believe.
Pack93z
11 years ago
I thought Rob Reischel authored a book on Rodgers.. interesting how his opinion of Rodgers has changed in less than 2 years.

Eau Claire (WQOW) -- Rob Reischel, author of a new book on Aaron Rodgers entitled, "Leader Of The Pack ," is in Eau Claire, Wednesday evening.

Reischel, a writer for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and Packers Plus, has covered the team for the past ten seasons, and has spent a lot of time with Rodgers since the QB joined the Packers in 2005.

About the book, Reischel says, "There's a lot of fun tips and fact in there about what Aaron went through in high school and in junior college just to play. There's a great story in the book about how Aaron, when he got to junior college, wore number four. Why? Because he loved Brett Favre. And we all know how that relationship went south so fast."

Reischel says in the time he's covered the Packers, he's never seen a player progress as far and as fast as Rodgers. According to Reischel, Rodgers has done that throughout his entire career.

"Aaron was a five-foot, two-inch, 130-pound freshman quarterback at his high school, and no one inside his high school thought he'd ever be the varsity quarterback, I think is a really unique story, things like that, through the book, that kind of take you back to the whole theme and premise of Aaron overcoming obstacles, and kind of beating the odds, every step of the way through, and eventually winning a Super Bowl."

For a signed copy of the book, contact the author: robreischel@gmail.com

"Leader Of The Pack" is also available at all major book stores, including Borders and Amazon.com, or directly from the publisher: Triumphbooks.com

Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I know my opinion of him is different now than it was two years ago. As we learn more, we have a bigger pallet to form an opinion.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.