JustJeff
11 years ago
Hi I’m JustJeff
I’ve been a Packers’ fan since the mid-60’s.
I’m a market analyst in central Virginia, where I’ve been since I was too young to remember.

I told this story back at Julie's World (the old Press-Gazette forums). At that time, I knew that I could find the exact date. I Google'd and ended up amazed at what I found. It was more difficult to find this time (because I found it by accident the first time), and I thought it might be gone (I'll get back to that in a moment).

I was barely old enough to start taking an interest in sports. It was Sunday October 17, 1965. I heard a great commotion in the den. It was my mom & dad hollering at the television. My dad grew up in Detroit and moved to Virginia during his high school years and was a Lyin's fan. My mom thought Jim Taylor was the greatest player to ever don a set of cleats. So they were both talkin' smack.

When I walked into the room and asked what was going on, my dad said that the Lyin's were beating the Packers and that I should be a Lyin's fan. My mom responded by saying that I didn't want to root for the Lyin's because the Green Bay Packers were THE team. I just liked the sound of "Green Bay Packers" and I agreed with my mom.

It was late in the game when I sat down to watch. It wasn't long before Starr connected with Carroll Dale for a long TD to take the lead. That sealed the deal. Dale is a Virginia native, played college ball at VaTech (my uncle told me about that back then and it made Dale my favorite Packer of that time). Several guys in my neighborhood were also Packers fans, including Henry Jordan's nephews.

Now back to my original point... what was it that amazed me? I stumbled onto footage of the very game! The very last play on this stock footage loop is the play that made me a Packers addict that isn't looking for a cure 😎
Packers Whip Lyin's October 17, 1965 

October 17 is a watershed day in Packers lore for me. I became a Packers fan on October 17, 1965. On October 17, 1983, the Packers whipped the juggernaut Redskins on Monday night football.

That Monday night win made all of the obnoxious 'Skins fans around here shut their yaps. I had a wall of shame where I worked at the time, just to pimp what they said before the game. I kept quiet before the game. Right before leaving work that Monday afternoon, I quietly told one co-worker that I liked the matchup. I said, "James, I like the matchup. Our defense isn't much, but I like our passing attack against the Redskins secondary."

I only told James so that I had a witness UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage 
dfosterf
11 years ago
Friggin' 'skins fans. I'm a Wisconsin boy, but grew up mostly in Alexandria/ Fairfax co. Va.

Pennsylvania guy now, love this place, but all the non-fat-good-looking Pennsylvania girls are now in D.C. and its environs, mostly N. Virginia.

We have had that talk here about that Monday night game, lol
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
welcome in Jeff. You have already brought a lot to this board.
mid 60's for me too. I am not sure of an exact day like you. *jealous* I assume it was 65 because that was the year I lived in the twinky cities. and we know how rotten the vickies were. Since there were so many fans of The Great Team To The East, I had to have picked it up from them. Never lost it when were escape mosquitoville and went back to central IL.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
November 5, 1989
UserPostedImage
JustJeff
11 years ago

November 5, 1989

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Ahh very nice. Majkowski was sooo underrated. It's nearly a forgotten factoid that he was a very close 2nd to Joe Montana for the MVP (a mere five votes back). Majik's injury took his career. Sure, he played again, but never the same guy. Between the injury and Favre's vast legacy, it has all but erased the brilliant year of young quarterback on the rise.

UserPostedImage 
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

November 5, 1989

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago

Ahh very nice. Majkowski was sooo underrated. It's nearly a forgotten factoid that he was a very close 2nd to Joe Montana for the MVP (a mere five votes back). Majik's injury took his career. Sure, he played again, but never the same guy. Between the injury and Favre's vast legacy, it has all but erased the brilliant year of young quarterback on the rise.

Originally Posted by: JustJeff 

How can you not like this guy? !!

He called himself possibly "keyboard verbose" on another thread...
macbob
11 years ago

Hi I’m JustJeff
October 17 is a watershed day in Packers lore for me. I became a Packers fan on October 17, 1965. On October 17, 1983, the Packers whipped the juggernaut Redskins on Monday night football.

Originally Posted by: JustJeff 

Welcome, Jeff!

I'm from the Hampton Roads area and became a Packers fan back in the 60s because of the Redskins.

You have to keep in mind, this was before cable, NFL was on one network, and you got a regional game and a national game on Sunday. That was it. (not to mention the black & white broadcast).

Because the Deadskins were 1/2 inch closer to us than Baltimore, we got stuck with them as our regional game instead of Johnny Unitas and the Colts. And the Deadskins stunk. So each week we had to suffer through watching them in the regional game, either playing a good team and getting spanked or playing a bad team, and then you were watching two bad teams playing--fumble...INT (right back on the next play)...fumble...geez, didn't anybody want to win the game???

The only other opportunity to watch was the national game, and back then because the Packers were good we got to see them 3-4 times during the regular season, and then again in the playoffs. I became hooked.

UserPostedImage
Formo
11 years ago
Word.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!