Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 4:18:20 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

ProFootballTalk wrote:
Defensive lineman Chris Canty has gotten an offer from the Titans since his release from the Giants, but he’s not ready to stop looking for a new team to call his own.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that Canty will visit with the Packers and Jaguars after the combine comes to a close. The Packers had a lot of interest in Canty when he was a free agent after the 2008 season, but he wound up signing with the Giants instead of waiting on an offer from Green Bay. Things are working a bit differently this time, which might be an advantage of being able to look for jobs while those waiting for free agency have to refrain — publicly, at least — from exploring new opportunities.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 4:20:34 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

PFT

Quote:
Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that Canty will visit with the Packers and Jaguars after the combine comes to a close.

No way it happens. Unless he's willing to sign for the minimum...
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 4:21:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Damn you Zero!

I had it cue'd up and my gf called, didn't hit enter for an extra 5 minutes. LOL

My comment: No way it happens, unless Canty's willing to play for the minimum.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:26:55 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

If anything, anything at all, I'm glad to hear they are shopping for DL in FA. We need big, big help on that line of ours. LB too. I would not mind if they felt in necessary to throw some cash at the right player.
Offline Wade  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:25:37 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 718

Problem is, Canty at this point is a third-tier FA.

Thompson's always been willing to kick the tires on third-tiers. Third-tiers can be had for bargain prices.

Going after Canty is okay. Only going after the Cantys of the league is, well, I expect what we have to be satisfied with.

I'll be excited when he manages acquisition of a Canty2008 level player, not when he manages acquisition of a Canty2013 level player.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 2/23/2013(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:23:34 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post

Thompson's always been willing to kick the tires on third-tiers. Third-tiers can be had for bargain prices.

Going after Canty is okay. Only going after the Cantys of the league is, well, I expect what we have to be satisfied with.

I'll be excited when he manages acquisition of a Canty2008 level player, not when he manages acquisition of a Canty2013 level player.

The Giants released Canty because they needed to clear salary space. They have many big contracts coming up in the near future, so they simply couldn’t afford to keep him. He’s only 30, and his level of play is solid. Frankly, he’s an instant starter in Green Bay’s defense, which is also the ideal system for him. It’s a good signing so long he stays healthy enough to play.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Rockmolder on 2/24/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:48:24 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
The Giants released Canty because they needed to clear salary space. They have many big contracts coming up in the near future, so they simply couldn’t afford to keep him. He’s only 30, and his level of play is solid. Frankly, he’s an instant starter in Green Bay’s defense, which is also the ideal system for him. It’s a good signing so long he stays healthy enough to play.

Unfortunately, we also are currently in need of salary space.
Offline doddpower  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:00:08 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, I don't think Canty is a "third-tier" FA at all. Not a 1st tier, but probably a 2nd tier. He'll still be too expensive for Green Bay, imo. There's a reason multiple teams are having an interest in him. There aren't many 6'7, 307 lb defensive linemen that can play as good as Canty can, even at this point in his career.

Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:56:11 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,153
Applause Received: 1,522

if they sign him for a reasonable price (Does Uncle Ted do anything but that?) I am ok with bringing on board. Breaking the bank for him won't happen.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:12:09 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
if they sign him for a reasonable price (Does Uncle Ted do anything but that?) I am ok with bringing on board. Breaking the bank for him won't happen.

Maybe he wants a ring.
Offline Rios39  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:38:38 AM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

Canty might be a 3rd tier in a 4-3 D. He was at his best playing in a 3-4. He's perfect for a 3-4 team that needs an athletic end.
blank
Online dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:29:58 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 430

Canty would be good, imo.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline porky88  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:57:13 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, we also are currently in need of salary space.

Remember, the Giants need to pay Martellus Bennett, William Beatty (or replace them), Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks and Jason Pierre-Paul. That's a ton of money for a team with Eli Manning making 15 million. The Packers were already under the cap when they cut Charles Woodson. The Giants were over the cap when they cut Michael Boley, Canty, and Ahmad Bradshaw.

The Wisconsin media overstates Green Bay's salary cap because the Packers don't give them much to talk about in the off-season. In other words, the Giants have a real salary cap problem. The Packers are doing good enough to extend Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji before 2013. I wouldn't be surprise to see Aaron Rodgers extended during or after 2013.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/24/2013(UTC), wpr on 2/24/2013(UTC), earthquake on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 9:00:28 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

What it seems to boil down to is that you're core players, top drafted players(while they're cheap) and the cap all have to come together just right to win the SB. SF has a small window before they have to start doing contracts for all their good young players.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 9:28:12 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,153
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
What it seems to boil down to is that you're core players, top drafted players(while they're cheap) and the cap all have to come together just right to win the SB. SF has a small window before they have to start doing contracts for all their good young players.

even then you need a few breaks. SF had the better team and lost.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Rss Feed