earthquake
11 years ago
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new CBA put in some extra rules to prevent/discourage the tag and trade thing? Like, once a player is tagged and traded they can not negotiate a new contract until the next season, or something else to that effect. I can't remember where I read that or if its accurate, but that would seem to make a tag+trade scenario much less likely.

All things considered, I don't think a $10m/1 year rental of Greg Jennings is all that risky. He's one of the better receivers in the league when healthy, and its a one year deal, the cap repercussions are quite small. So even if the intent is to tag and trade him, its not really a big deal if a trade doesn't happen, unlike say last year with Flynn, where they would have been stuck paying $15m(or whatever the amount was) to a backup QB.

Would Jennings be happy about it? I doubt it, nobody is ever happy that they are getting tagged. I don't think he we would turn into a malcontent though.
blank
Yerko
11 years ago
As a fan, I had enabled myself to move on from losing a guy like Jennings. I didn't like seeing this rumor/news. Packers can do so much more by not tagging him. I am not saying drafting a wide receiver will fill the hole Jennings leaves, but the Packers won plenty of games without him in the line up. They already have the tools to have a successful passing game (minus a great offensive line).

I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd round WR draft pick over tagging Jennings. His ship has sailed.

Addition to my initial thoughts. If that is a real quote from Philbin, I REALLY don't want the Packers to resign him. The Dolphins are a team that actually needs a wide receiver and the HC is saying "no" to a top 10 free agent receiver...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

As a fan, I had enabled myself to move on from losing a guy like Jennings. I didn't like seeing this rumor/news. Packers can do so much more by not tagging him. I am not saying drafting a wide receiver will fill the hole Jennings leaves, but the Packers won plenty of games without him in the line up. They already have the tools to have a successful passing game (minus a great offensive line).

I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd round WR draft pick over tagging Jennings. His ship has sailed.

Addition to my initial thoughts. If that is a real quote from Philbin, I REALLY don't want the Packers to resign him. The Dolphins are a team that actually needs a wide receiver and the HC is saying "no" to a top 10 free agent receiver...

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I am not arguing you, merely inquiring, ... how do you see Greg Jennings ship has sailed, and what ship exactly?

UserPostedImage
dhazer
11 years ago
From what I have been reading is that Miami is after Mike Wallace and then Wes Welker than Jennings, I don't see anyone forking out the big bucks for Jennings right now. He has been injury prone and getting up there in age and the main thing is he is not a game changer. The defense doesn't have to scheme around him ala Megatron, Fitz or even Roddy White or Jones. I hope they let him walk and watch his disappointment when he has to sign with some bad team for a low price.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago

I am not arguing you, merely inquiring, ... how do you see Greg Jennings ship has sailed, and what ship exactly?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Like our previous convo in the other Jennings franchise tag thread, Jennings does not want to be a Packer with the franchise tag...not that he has a choice, but he was very clear on his feelings with that. I think by not extending him a contract during last season (don't blame them), the ship has sailed on the relationship between Jennings and the Packers.

He is ready to move on and the Packers should be more than ready to move on. Maybe I have talked myself too much into believing the Packers will be more than okay without Jennings, but when I saw his asking price on the market I don't think I did. I think tagging Jennings dampers the Packers ability to do other things with this team.

The only way I would agree with Jennings being tagged is if the Packers had a trade ready. As crappy as that is, its a business. Its a deal that as a Packers fan, I'd like because the return should be something nice. It also ensures Jennings will not be in the NFC North.

I think Jennings can play and I also think a team is going to offer close to his asking price. My first thought was the Dolphins but with McGinn's recent comments on how Philbin feels about Jennings, that was a bit shot down.

Sorry, kinda went on after answering your main question.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
I think the Packers are better off letting Jennings hit the market and if the money is right, resign him at that point. I just happen to think the tag is too large of a commitment to Jennings if he signs it and plays only the one year. Think Jones a couple of seasons ago.

Not to mention.. Greg doesn't want the tag and that could make the situation relatively toxic..

One thing Jennings would not be excited about : The possibility of Packers putting the franchise tag on him – which is an option, given his injury-plagued season, and the relatively manageable cost of roughly $10 million.

Asked if the tag was a slap in the face, Jennings replied, “Yes. Nothing good about it. You don’t see (New England wide receiver) Wes Welker smiling about it.

“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings.. to me, it just isn't a sound decision in terms of value vs performance.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago

“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

Greg Jennings wrote:

If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings..

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Yeah, they are not in that position. I would love to have him back, playing for GB, but not at any price.

Let's put it this way. I'd rather take that money and sign both Chris Canty and Cullen Jenkins. That would make our team much better overall.
Porforis
11 years ago

I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Or if he likes Wisconsin, I'm sure he can find countless businesses that'd hire him more based on who he is rather than his skills. Wasn't there another Ram rookie that was a used car salesman for a while? If I had two people offer me the same deal on equivalent cars and one of them was Greg Jennings, guess who I'd buy from?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.