JustinAVA182
11 years ago

http://m.startribune.com/?id=198631851 

By the time Greg Jennings left his home in Michigan on Thursday, destined for a career-changing job interview in the Twin Cities, he knew exactly what he was seeking.

Jennings wanted a fresh start.

He has no problems admitting that, even after the seven productive seasons he enjoyed in Green Bay, putting himself on the map as a premier NFL receiver.

But Jennings also wanted to know a marriage with the Vikings would feel right.

He wanted to get a sense for whether his talents could be utilized properly. He wanted to believe that he could develop rapport with quarterback Christian Ponder.

As much as anything, Jennings wanted to feel wanted.

So when he arrived in town Thursday?

“I got that feeling early,” he said. “And I got that feeling quite often.”

How could Jennings not feel wanted by a Vikings organization that had started the week by express-mailing Percy Harvin to Seattle in the week’s biggest trade?

How could he not feel loved by a team that had the 31st-ranked passing attack in 2012 and set out this offseason to fix that?

It was no major surprise, then, that a truly chaotic week ended Friday night at Winter Park with Jennings feeling surprisingly comfortable in the team colors he had recently told Packers teammate James Jones he never could envision himself wearing.

Yet there he was — big smile, reliable hands, positive energy and all.

Jennings was now a Viking.

“Hey,” he said. “Minnesota stepped up to the plate.”

Just here to help

Jennings had so many reasons for his grin. There was, of course, the five-year contract, reportedly worth as much as $47.5 million.

But there were 508 additional reasons for excitement — as in the 508 yards NFL MVP Adrian Peterson gashed Green Bay for in three games last season.

Jennings not only took note of that production, he was constantly aware of how defenses attacked the Vikings, frequently loading eight and nine defenders into the box and leaving ample opportunity for receivers to take advantage over the top.

Peterson’s presence certainly didn’t hurt the Vikings during a 24-hour hard sell to Jennings that both sides wanted to end the same way.

“Standing on the other sideline, you’re in awe of what this guy can do,” Jennings said. “And everyone knows he’s going to get the ball. So just to be able to take some of that pressure off him and off of this offense, I hope to be able to do that.”

Jennings’ signing certainly took significant pressure off Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman, who had a master plan for this offseason all along, even if impatient fans couldn’t understand or tolerate his methodical approach during a hyperactive week in which so many other teams struck it big early in free agency.

The Vikings needed so much help at receiver. Everyone knew it. And yet Mike Wallace quickly signed in Miami. Wes Welker went to Denver. Danny Amendola became a Patriot, Donnie Avery a Chief and Brandon Gibson a Dolphin.

Through 72 hours of free agency, the Vikings’ only receiving move was the re-signing of Jerome Simpson.

One out, one in

Spielman never had planned to rush into things. He had reached out to Jennings’ agent during a new NFL contact period last weekend, asking to be kept in the loop on the receiver’s plans.

The Vikings’ push intensified after the Harvin trade. So by the time Spielman finally reeled Jennings in for a late-week visit — dinner at Manny’s on Thursday, a long day of discussions Friday — the GM knew he could ill afford to let Jennings flounder out of the boat.

Still, there was another factor to measure.

“We can want a player here,” Spielman said. “But we want to make sure the player wants to be here as well.”

Whether that was meant as a veiled jab at Harvin and his unfortunate departure is unknown. But Spielman and Frazier have spent the past 14 months unifying a vision to build around a certain brand of player.

Yes, Harvin’s passion and toughness were universally admired. But his occasional volcanic eruptions of immaturity — too many to count over four seasons — led to a severely fractured relationship that convinced the star receiver and the franchise that ultimately they’d be better off apart.

Even with Spielman’s public declarations that he had “no intent to trade Percy Harvin,” speculation percolated for weeks. Those searching for signs Harvin’s time as a Viking had ended found clues in the promotional poster the Vikings put out recently for season tickets.

The ad featured five of the team’s biggest standouts. But no Harvin. That had to be a tell, right?

Yet even presence on that poster wasn’t a guarantee of job security. Cornerback Antoine Winfield, a 14-year veteran who had infused his toughness, savvy and charisma into the franchise for nine seasons, got the nod for the season-ticket campaign then received an unceremonious dismissal from Spielman in the final hour before free agency began last week.

With the money Spielman needed for his 2013 roster-building plan, Winfield’s $7.25 million salary felt like too much to invest in a 35-year-old cornerback who seemed bound for a reduced role.

But even if there was business savvy behind the move, by Tuesday night the Vikings had overshadowed the re- signing of six in-house free agents with moves to get rid of their best receiver and the defense’s emotional leader.

The Harvin trade sent league MVP Adrian Peterson to Twitter noting, “I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach. Several times!!!”

Defensive end Brian Robison was vacationing in Cancun when he learned of Winfield’s release, again reminded of the transaction tornado that blasts through the league every March.

“Life in the NFL, man, it’s a scary, scary deal,” Robison said. “Even on vacation, I’m wanting to sit back and have fun. But you start seeing guys getting traded and released and you have that fear that you’re going to be the next guy. That stress can be enormous if you think about it too long.”

Big picture

Still, a view of the big picture is required.

The Harvin trade landed the Vikings first- and seventh-round picks for April’s draft plus a third-rounder next year.

Spielman insists he couldn’t pass up that package, a haul that will allow the Vikings to draft players at Nos. 23 and 25 next month.

A year ago, Spielman maneuvered his way into a pair of first-round picks and wound up snaring difference-making starters on both offense (left tackle Matt Kalil) and defense (safety Harrison Smith).

So you can imagine the eagerness to score another exacta payday on April 25.

New players will arrive. Old teammates may disappear.

Anything’s possible.

Like a longtime Packers standout again migrating west to become a Viking.

To feel fully comfortable with that move, Jennings made sure to review film. He threw the Vikings’ tape on, he said, not so much to analyze intricacies in coordinator Bill Musgrave’s offense but rather to zero in exclusively on Ponder.

“I had to see what I was getting myself into,” Jennings admitted.

He had, after all, spent his first seven seasons catching passes from Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

In Ponder, Jennings said, he saw an athletic young quarterback with great potential — if only he had more help.

In the Vikings, Jennings sees a team on the rise.

“You want to go to a team that’s still a contender, that has an opportunity to win but the window isn’t closing. The window is opening up. And I saw that with this ballclub last year. They kind of snuck up on everybody.”

Dan Wiederer • 612-673-7900

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I'm happy Greg Jennings got his money, and it's a good addition to the Vikings. I maintain that Jennings is more valuable to the Packers than the Vikings offensively. This season just got a little more interesting.

Casey Hayward says: Packers fans, I got this!!

(not really Casey, but you know)
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
11 years ago

Casey Hayward says: Packers fans, I got this!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I actually thought to myself, "Well it sucks but just put Hayward on him and leave the other 10 to Peterson"

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
A fresh start with a fresh number as the Vikings issued him number 15.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
I don't think he wanted a fresh start. I think he wanted money and lower expectations. If he had come back to GB with Rodgers throwing to him, you know where us Packer fans would set the bar for him. If he went to NE with Brady throwing to him, you know where the bar would be set for him. In MN with Peterson as the offense of the team, WHEN Jennings production decreases, it is expected.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DakotaT
11 years ago
I don't think he wanted to be passed up on the depth chart like Driver was. Cobb is already a more dangerous receiver, and when he gets more precision with his routes, there won't even be a comparison. This is one of those situations where everyone probably one. I'm not going to begrudge Greg Jennings, he made the move that was best for him.
UserPostedImage
Formo
11 years ago

I don't think he wanted to be passed up on the depth chart like Driver was. Cobb is already a more dangerous receiver, and when he gets more precision with his routes, there won't even be a comparison. This is one of those situations where everyone probably one. I'm not going to begrudge Greg Jennings, he made the move that was best for him.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Yeah. Like I told some of my Packer friends on Facebook that were worried about your passing game for next year.. You still have Cobb, Nelson, and Jones that are all productive WRs. And of course lets not forget #12. Good move for Jennings, Vikings and arguably the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

He's a long way from having Jenning's precision at route running.

Of course almost every WR in the NFL is.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.