Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Hindsight is great. Looking back, my wife should have married someone wealthier. I should have picked winning lottery ticket numbers. Mike McCarthy should have had some more physical practices to prepare for physical running teams we faced late in the year. Brilliant.

Except half our team was wounded. So CM should have been pushed harder in practice? What if he was injured? 100% of Packer Nation would have been apoplectic over the stupidity of injuring your key Defensive player right before a big game.

So it's easy to sit back and know what they should have done because what they did, didn't work. Mike McCarthy is the only one that has to make that decision though. Thankfully, we just have to second guess his wrong decisions.

No, I don't consider the '12 Packers to be a physically intimidating team.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Only difference, I said it during the game, rather loudly if I might add. Plus, this same issue was relevant last offseason too as Mike McCarthy uttered something quite similar regarding the practice regime leading up to the game. He was guarded with it because he didn't want to say he made a mistake by resting players Week 17 of the season.

Hindsight has nothing to do with the point of this. When watching the game and you see a LB facing the wrong way, it doesn't take a genius to realize what went wrong lol (proof of this is I realized it immediately)
UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago

Only difference, I said it during the game, rather loudly if I might add. Plus, this same issue was relevant last offseason too as Mike McCarthy uttered something quite similar regarding the practice regime leading up to the game. He was guarded with it because he didn't want to say he made a mistake by resting players Week 17 of the season.

Hindsight has nothing to do with the point of this. When watching the game and you see a LB facing the wrong way, it doesn't take a genius to realize what went wrong lol (proof of this is I realized it immediately)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I sincerely doubt that MM, when planning his practice schedule in early December, designed it to have crappy practices that would not prepare the team adequately. I am confident that he, working with the rest of the coaches, thought it through and designed it to get the team ready to play. It failed. It's easier to see that now, or last month or during the stretch of games at the end of the year than it was before they planned it out. That's why it's hindsight. We are realizing after the practices that they were not successful in preparing the team to play those physical games.
Mike McCarthy can essentially say 3 things with regard to the end of the year.
1. "We didn't prepare properly." Which he did. Honest. Disappointing, but honest.
2. "I thought we did a good job preparing." Naive, stupid, and or blatanly lying.
3. "We beat the Bears again this year! What more do you want?" Always good, but no longer as meaningful as it was a few years ago.

There are only about 1 or 2 coaches that do not spend the offseason getting second guessed. Goint 19-0 and winning the SB is about the only way to make sure it can't happen.
play2win
11 years ago

There are only about 1 or 2 coaches that do not spend the offseason getting second guessed. Goint 19-0 and winning the SB is about the only way to make sure it can't happen.

Well, let's just hope he does that! I'd love to see it.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I sincerely doubt that MM, when planning his practice schedule in early December, designed it to have crappy practices that would not prepare the team adequately.

Who the heck said anything of the sort? You're reaching here ... massively reaching. :)

My concern (as I have already said) stems from the head coach saying basically the same thing this offseason as he did the prior offseason. I'm confident he made some changes, it just concerns me that he didn't identify the problem as thoroughly as I hoped. Keep in mind, it's not as if he said "Oh, I know exactly what went wrong last time and it won't happen next time".

I go back to my theory ... that if the Packers defensively focus on fundamentals of playing defense ... e.g. tackling properly and trusting one another ... the defense improves. Offensively, I think the only tweak that needs to be made is going from this blend zone blocking scheme or whatever it is called to a more power O. I want fatties pummeling other fatties.

lol I beg to differ... I can see dhazer and nerdmann second guessing the HC after Super Bowl win... oh wait, they did!!!
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
To modify something I heard Rodgers shout in one of those pre-game huddle things, the team needs the following attitude in all things.

1. Dominate!
2. Dominate!
3. Dominate!
1,2,3 (and 4,5,6, ...) Dominate!

One of McCarthy's problems over the years is that he has a tendency toward trying to finesse things. Trying to trick people. Trying to fool people. Trying to be smarter than the other guy.

Those things are okay from time to time, but not as a consistent approach.

That IMO was set Lombardi apart from every Packer coach since. It wasn't the fact that he had more Hall of Famers. It wasn't even the Packer sweep. It was that Lombardi teams week in and week out had a take no prisoners approach. Their intent was not to just win. Their intent was to impose their will on the other team. Their intent was to destroy the other team's will to win.

It didn't always work because no one wins every time they are on the field. But *that* was a winning attitude.

Holmgren didn't have it. Someone who has it not only never lets the other team score to get the ball back. They never contemplate letting the other team score because they already *know* they are going to get the ball back. Because they are going to impose their will and make them give it back.

And, I fear, neither does McCarthy.

Does that mean the Packers will never get back to the Super Bowl with McCarthy? No. They may. Finesse coaches can win championships. Holmgren won one. McCarthy won one. It can be done.

But it definitely decreases the odds.

And unless McCarthy recognizes this finesse tendency of his and works at eliminating it, it decreases those odds more each year.

Because it's a lot easier for the other guy to destroy the will of someone who depends on finesse than it is to destroy the will of someone who knows they have the strongest will to dominate.

Ask our resident Marine. No one knows this better than the Marine Corps. And that's why they are more consistently successful than any other military group in our nation's history. They know it isn't about finessing things.

Finesse is for bridge and synchronized swimming and corporate lawyers.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.