nerdmann
10 years ago

I don't care what the criteria is. I love Bart Starr. I thought he was WAY under-rated at the time. The man seemed genius to me.

Bart Starr could not possibly be in the same conversation with Aaron Rodgers. I was just as passionate about these matters then as I am now.

Eye test and memory. Bart was better than anyone gives him credit for being now, but that isn't good enough in this comparison...

Aaron Rodgers is S I C K good. No one I have ever seen does the things that man does with a football with the circumstances he is presented with.

No One. Ever. Not in my lifetime. I keep telling you, we are living off the gravy he provides us, and so many are too young to know, and the ones that are old enough can't let go of their loyalties and distorted memories.

I AM SOMETIMES EMBARRASSED at how my team has failed to capititalize on this extraordinary talent we have. It is why I RANT, at times...

I AM CURSED WITH PERSPECTIVE! What a BITCH! lol

Favre isn't in the conversation, for me. The man was un-wise with the football too many times when it mattered a lot, and his skill-set was also below Rodgers in actually throwing the damn thing, by quite a bit, actually.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Bart Starr, based on intangibles.

When it comes to tangibles, Aaron is in the conversation.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Let's put a twist to this dilemma - if you had a choice between Starr, Favre, and Rodgers to begin a franchise with in any era of football you choose - which quarterback would you take. I'll take Rodgers and not even think twice about it.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

If you had 1/10 the insight on stuff other than football ...... I guess you'd be agreeing with me hahahaha.

I will NEVER say anything negative about Bart Starr - or for that matter Brett Favre when it comes to football either. However, NOBODY in my lifetime anyway - which goes back before the Starr era - has ever dominated the game as much as Aaron Rodgers. Brady a little bit, P. Manning came the closest, but nobody like Rodgers.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

If you had 1/10 the insight on stuff other than football ...... I guess you'd be agreeing with me hahahaha.

I will NEVER say anything negative about Bart Starr - or for that matter Brett Favre when it comes to football either. However, NOBODY in my lifetime anyway - which goes back before the Starr era - has ever dominated the game as much as Aaron Rodgers. Brady a little bit, P. Manning came the closest, but nobody like Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Aaron Rodgers being better than Bart Starr at quarterback is most certainly not saying anything bad about Bart Starr. Not a chance.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Bart Starr was more comparable to the kid who came along decades later to lead his team to multiple Super Bowls. Aaron Rodgers' hero growing up: Joe Montana.

Both were supreme game managers and team leaders. Rodgers, as good as he is, has some proving left to do on those levels.

It always ultimately comes down to Championships, plural.

Trent Dilfer could get one. Was he as good or better than Rodgers? Of course not. Roethlesberger? No, but he has more SB wins. Bradshaw? No. But he has more Championships too. So does Eli Manning.

As much as you might hate the SBs entering into the discussion, it always winds up being the ultimate measuring stick for QB supremacy, and it really points to the larger aspects of "team" in terms of success, and who can best manage their team to realizing multiple Championships.

Not many mentions of Warren Moon or Dan Marino in this discussion.

Is Rodgers a better QB than Starr, or just a better passer?
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
The comparison if you want to bring Montana into it, would be Montana to Steve Young - Montana being fairly similar to Starr and Young something like Rodgers. Montana was greater but Young was better - does that make sense? Anyway, it is not as somebody said above, youth being blinded by the fact that Rodgers is more recent. I was blessed to be a Packer fan when Starr was the QB. He was great; The team was super, but never find the different styles, different eras, different quality around them, Starr simply did not stand out individually like Rodgers does. Nobody in all the years I have been a fan has been as clearly better than anybody else in his time as Rodgers. He ain't the greatest yet - that would still be Favre, but he is on track to get there.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

The comparison if you want to bring Montana into it, would be Montana to Steve Young - Montana being fairly similar to Starr and Young something like Rodgers. Montana was greater but Young was better - does that make sense? Anyway, it is not as somebody said above, youth being blinded by the fact that Rodgers is more recent. I was blessed to be a Packer fan when Starr was the QB. He was great; The team was super, but never find the different styles, different eras, different quality around them, Starr simply did not stand out individually like Rodgers does. Nobody in all the years I have been a fan has been as clearly better than anybody else in his time as Rodgers. He ain't the greatest yet - that would still be Favre, but he is on track to get there.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I was the one who made reference to youth. I was taunting Kevin. That was because he was taunting those who were defending Starr.

I take objection to a bias comparison that only favors one player.
The NFL rules are different in the 60's. Kevin never once agreed to the concept that Rodgers has flourished in the much more lenient passing rules of this day. He never accepted the fact that Starr's passing statistics are tainted because of how the defense was allowed to play in his day.
He, for the most part, ignored the fact that a QB is more than an arm. While he says Starr is an excellent leader, he then comes right back to Rodgers credentials and one who throws the ball as being the defining measure of what a QB is.
When one points out that Starr has the ultimate measure of success- championships. He dismisses that as being due to the players around Starr. He never once considers the fact that if Rodgers wins 5 SB that he will not be the only player from this team that ends up in the Hall.

He wants every indicator to point toward Rodgers. If they don't, then those indicators are not relevant.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Aaron Rodgers being better than Bart Starr at quarterback is most certainly not saying anything bad about Bart Starr. Not a chance.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I've got something bad to say about Starr. Long time ago, I was a kid in the stands at County Stadium for a game coached by Dan Devine. Bart Starr was just down the aisle. I walked over to Bart with my program, and asked him for his autograph. He had an usher take me away.

I'll never forget it, that fuckin' guy... 😆 😆 😆
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I was the one who made reference to youth. I was taunting Kevin. That was because he was taunting those who were defending Starr.

I take objection to a bias comparison that only favors one player.
The NFL rules are different in the 60's. Kevin never once agreed to the concept that Rodgers has flourished in the much more lenient passing rules of this day. He never accepted the fact that Starr's passing statistics are tainted because of how the defense was allowed to play in his day.
He, for the most part, ignored the fact that a QB is more than an arm. While he says Starr is an excellent leader, he then comes right back to Rodgers credentials and one who throws the ball as being the defining measure of what a QB is.
When one points out that Starr has the ultimate measure of success- championships. He dismisses that as being due to the players around Starr. He never once considers the fact that if Rodgers wins 5 SB that he will not be the only player from this team that ends up in the Hall.

He wants every indicator to point toward Rodgers. If they don't, then those indicators are not relevant.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Read my comments again young man. Read them again, for the first time. [wasntme]
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Read my comments again young man. Read them again, for the first time. [wasntme]

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I read them yesterday.
Show me where you allow for the differences in passing rules?
Show me where you agree that 🇦🇷 has more favorable passing yards and Starr less favorable ones.
Show me where you say the value of a qb is more than his passing prowess.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I read them yesterday.
Show me where you allow for the differences in passing rules?
Show me where you agree that 🇦🇷 has more favorable passing yards and Starr less favorable ones.
Show me where you say the value of a qb is more than his passing prowess.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Show me where I said Aaron Rodgers was a better leader than Bart Starr. You can't, but yet you beat that drum anyway. 😳

I respect that you probably encapsulate passer, leader, field general, etc all into quarterback.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.