Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pack93z  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:57:32 AM(UTC)

Time after time I have read that the pundits are clamoring that Safety is the weakest link upon the team.. I completely disagree. Just because Woodson was released, it does not make it the weakest position upon the team and the most pressing need.

Burnett, while at times I question the angles he takes, is a pretty rangy player that should be coming into his prime right about now. Jennings, McMillian, and Richardson all showed signs of promise at different times.. yes they are green on experience, but drafting another safety early in this draft isn't going to inject experience.

Now Richardson's health is a concern.. but clamoring that we need immediate help and should invest a first round talent on a safety is the "most pressing" concern on this club.. not.

I would rank a dominate Center, a blue chip tackle prospect, Defensive line impact player, improved speed in the interior linebackers and another pass rusher outweigh the need at Safety. Hell I might put running back ahead of need of a safety.

Now if the BPA is a safety when the Packers are on the clock.. great.. pull the trigger. But to reach to try and fill it like pundit after pundit is preaching.. I don't see it.

To me.. this is a perfect draft to let the board come to us.. and possibly even collect a couple more 2-4 round picks... as that is where I see this draft being strong.

I just don't understand the pointing to the safety spot as our biggest weakness.. we have youth, but youth that has played and at times played well.
wpr  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:41:43 AM(UTC)
I can't say I want a safety taken in the first round. As you mentioned I would prefer to see a pass rushing DL picked up.

That said safety is a concern for me. Burnett will be fine. He is poised for a breakout year. Jennings, McMillian, and Richardson are the issue. Yes they are young. Yes they will grow. If you look at other safeties it takes them about 3 years. Maybe one of them will rise to the top in a couple of more years. Maybe not. They have been inconsistent. They may always be inconsistent. They seem to have more "oops" plays than "wow did you see that?" plays. It would be nice to pick up a player that has a higher up side than they do. Drafting a player in the 2nd round is no guarantee that they will amount to anything but more 2nd round picks have had decent careers than 4th round or later players.
TheKanataThrilla  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:35:20 AM(UTC)
I guess the question to me is are we still missing Nick Collins the player or our we missing Nick's leadership? There does seem to be something missing at the Safety position. We get torched over the middle too much.
Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:56:53 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
I guess the question to me is are we still missing Nick Collins the player or our we missing Nick's leadership? There does seem to be something missing at the Safety position. We get torched over the middle too much.

I have been beating this drum for awhile now. Nick Collins had great range and was excellent communicator in the backfield. When he was out, that is when all of the communication break downs occurred. And if a communication break down happened, he had that great range to compensate for it. The loss of Collins has hurt the Packers most from that Super Bowl roster.

Charles Woodson is solid, but misses a lot of tackles and also doesn't have the range to recover from a communication error from one of them in the backfield. That probably contributes (as well as salary) to why he was released.
DarkaneRules  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:14:59 AM(UTC)
Interior pressure and safety play need a serious upgrade for sure.
nerdmann  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:00:57 PM(UTC)
Focus on the DL.

McMillian is raw, but he's got great physical skills. Darren Perry is to Dbacks what Mike is to QBs. MD Jennings is always in the right place, but he's undersized and can get run over. He might be able to add some bulk this offseason.

That said, if a dude falls to us, go get him.
PackFanWithTwins  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:15:18 PM(UTC)
3-4 DE or LT. There isn't a Nick Collins in this draft and even Nick was a 2nd rounder that took a full 3 years to mature into the position. We did loose communication with his loss, but even more, is we lost his speed. He was capable of covering sideline to sideline which allowed the CB to have faith that they can play trail technique and jump routes knowing Nick would be there.

We need pass rush that collapses the pocket preventing the QB from getting away from Clay by stepping up. And We need to strengthen the Oline to give Rodgers some time, and allow him to feel more comfortable in the pocket along with hopefully creating a better run blockign group.
porky88  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:18:22 PM(UTC)
I think running back is the weakest link, but I would not enter the 2013 season with the current safeties Green Bay has. Only Burnett is a starting caliber player, in my assessment.

Frankly, I think the roster is as weak as it's been in quite some time. This is a vulnerable team and I'm very worried about the 2013 season. A strong draft and player development (Nick Perry & Derek Sherrod) would ease my concerns.

Regarding the first round, it's an incredible safety class. Kenny Vaccaro, Jonathan Cyprien, Eric Reid, and Matt Elam are worthy of first round consideration. Simply put, it's possible that one of them is the best player on the board at No. 26.
PackerTraxx  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:48:08 AM(UTC)
No...DE.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:25:13 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
3-4 DE or LT. There isn't a Nick Collins in this draft and even Nick was a 2nd rounder that took a full 3 years to mature into the position. We did loose communication with his loss, but even more, is we lost his speed. He was capable of covering sideline to sideline which allowed the CB to have faith that they can play trail technique and jump routes knowing Nick would be there.

We need pass rush that collapses the pocket preventing the QB from getting away from Clay by stepping up. And We need to strengthen the Oline to give Rodgers some time, and allow him to feel more comfortable in the pocket along with hopefully creating a better run blockign group.

This is pretty much what I would say. LT is only a need if Sherrod isn't healthy. D Line is the biggest need, although OLB is close, depending on Perry. I think the young Safeties will be OK, and even if we drafted somebody in the high rounds, he would need a year or two to settle in.

Also, most of the highly rated Safeties don't fit the Nick Collins prototype - being big hitters instead of coverage guys as the Packers like.
Pack93z  
#31 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:15:18 AM(UTC)
Well, according to the draft for the Packers.. they didn't feel it was the weakest link either. Now, young bucks.. step up and prove that correct.
nerdmann  
#32 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:36:52 AM(UTC)
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
Well, according to the draft for the Packers.. they didn't feel it was the weakest link either. Now, young bucks.. step up and prove that correct.

At this point, much remains to be seen.
steveishere  
#33 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:46:47 AM(UTC)
I wouldn't say it was the weakest. I don't think they were as bad last year as the perception of them was. The thing that stands out to me is Burnett leading the team in tackles when he's a good but not really bigtime stand out tackler. That speaks to me of issues more up front. Unless your starting S is some kind of stud enforcer he shouldn't be leading your team in tackles let alone being top 17 in the entire league.
play2win  
#34 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:22:50 AM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't say it was the weakest. I don't think they were as bad last year as the perception of them was. The thing that stands out to me is Burnett leading the team in tackles when he's a good but not really bigtime stand out tackler. That speaks to me of issues more up front. Unless your starting S is some kind of stud enforcer he shouldn't be leading your team in tackles let alone being top 17 in the entire league.

Ahhh, this speaks volumes. We were enormously deficient up front, taxing our secondary. Add to the fact they have McMillian, and kept Sean Richardson on the roster from last years draft/UDFA and I think we may be better than many may think at S.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#35 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:14:30 AM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post

I also say Amen to this.

play2win  
#36 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:56:36 AM(UTC)
Add the years in development for a player like MD Jennings... like McMillian starting year 2... like Richardson, who didn't get to see much of the field, but was in the Packers program for a solid year... then Burnett? There are a number of players at the S positions who could turn some heads this season, already on the roster.
TheKanataThrilla  
#37 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:39:33 AM(UTC)
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post

By that logic we were weaker at WR than S which we all know is total crap.

I think there is a huge risk with the current line-up especially if injuries happen. Not to say that a draft pick would have improved it drastically, but I still think these guys either step up or it will be our #1 pick next year.
Pack93z  
#38 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 10:20:17 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
By that logic we were weaker at WR than S which we all know is total crap.

I think there is a huge risk with the current line-up especially if injuries happen. Not to say that a draft pick would have improved it drastically, but I still think these guys either step up or it will be our #1 pick next year.

Actually there is.. not that we are weaker at safety, but that we have a couple of decisions to make in the near future (Jones & Nelson), Boykins coming off a knee. We all know that we like to spread the field at times (hopefully less this coming season).. so we really need to be 5 deep at WR that can play. Right now we have 3.. we are looking for 2 more. So yes, there was need there.. but they addressed it late.

At safety we have Burnett whom should be coming into his own this season.. and a couple of young guys that played better than some seem to think. Did they get exposed at times.. yes.. but not as much as our front seven did. Or our offensive line at times. And all these guys are young.. with a sky full of potential.

Starks can't stay on the field it seems like.. and Green might never be as explosive as he was before the knee in 2011.

I am not saying we don't expose ourselves to risk with the safeties that we currently have, but I don't think that risk is as large as not fixing and adding physicality to both sides of the line.

And for the record.. the origins of this thread were early.. and the Packers passed a couple of times on the safety position. They in turn then passed 10 more times after the 2nd round with a pretty decent class of safeties coming out. That speaks volumes.

It also is about not only building the team for 2013 but building it for 2014, 2015 and 2016. Where we can control the contracts of our young players. At safety we have three young players, two of which really got thrown into the fire with Woodson going down.. but experience is a premium.

I firmly believe that McMillian will become the second half of the starting combo by the time we break camp.. and if Richardson can come back.. he will couple with Jennings to become a strong pair.
Gaycandybacon  
#39 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 11:11:07 AM(UTC)
Some of the undrafties look promising at Saftey. Ben Ericksen might make a big impact on this team this coming summer. That kid has good size and instincts that might even push for the starting job at FS which we're incredibly thin at. But i'm not gonna weigh only hope one of the Undrafted S's shine. I hope we can make some type of trade or something in Free Agency to help that position.

I'm going off of this for Free Agency but Kerry Rhodes and Quintin Mikell are still unsigned. Proven Vets.. Even Charlie Peprah is out there lol. http://www.nfl.com/freeagency
Rss Feed