Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20080919&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=809200402&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]It was a startling statement from a man who has witnessed all 15 of the team's head coaches in action over the past several decades. McCarthy is beginning only his third season at the Packers' helm, and he has some heavy lifting in store if he wants to match the accomplishments of coaches like Curly Lambeau, Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren.

But Remmel has picked up on something many national NFL observers have been slow to recognize. No one mentions McCarthy's name when the league's elite coaches are discussed.

He's too young. He's too inexperienced. He has too much to prove.

McCarthy himself looks at more experienced NFL head coaches like Bill Belichick, Holmgren, Tony Dungy, Mike Shanahan and John Fox, and doesn't think he belongs in the same sentence.

"What those guys have accomplished, I think they get all the credit they deserve," McCarthy said. "I don't look at myself that way. I still think I'm a young coach. I'm only in my third year."

Predicting coaching success in the NFL is like playing the stock market. There are inevitable highs and lows, and the speculation can get you burned. But when searching for the fastest-rising star among the league's younger coaches, my money is squarely on McCarthy.

None of the national pundits know it, but the Packers likely have one of the best-kept coaching secrets in the league.

"He's very underrated," cornerback Al Harris said. "Maybe it's because he's a younger guy."

Then Harris, like Remmel, made a bold prediction about McCarthy. "His name will be mentioned with the big dogs," he said.

What makes McCarthy special? He knows football inside and out, but he also knows people.

"He's got a good handle for his team," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "He knows some of the buttons to push. I think he knows when to push guys and when not to, when to lay off."

A perfect example came at practice in the week leading to the season opener against the Minnesota Vikings, when the players were a little worn down from training camp.

"At practice, we weren't firing on all cylinders," linebacker Brady Poppinga said, "and things were a little lackadaisical."

Most coaches would have lowered the boom and demanded more.

"He's like, no, we're going to shut it down," Poppinga said. "We're going to rest you. And he did. He shut us down. He said, 'Look, I see that you guys are tired.' And everybody was like, 'Dang, this is great.' He read us perfectly. We got our legs back under us and wound up having a good game against the Vikings."

Anyone who thinks McCarthy coddles his players and staff has the wrong idea. He knows when to step on the accelerator and is described as demanding.

"He's a blue-collar guy," special teams coach Mike Stock said. "He expects you to do your job and do it thoroughly. If you don't, you're going to hear about it, but it's always going to be privately."

Philbin said: "He's not a yeller and a screamer. He's not a guy that's throwing video machines around in the office. But he's very clear about what he wants."

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders added: "Mike is as good as I've ever worked for. He's very knowledgeable, very organized, very demanding. He knows exactly what's going on."

You can accuse the assistant coaches of buttering up the boss, but take a look at the results in McCarthy's two-plus seasons on the job.

The Packers are 19-3 in their last 22 regular-season games, which matches Holmgren's best 22-game stretch in the mid-1990s and falls just short of Lombardi's best stretch (20-2) in the 1960s. McCarthy is 12-5 on the road and a remarkable 10-0 against Minnesota and Detroit. His overall winning percentage (.667) is tied for second all-time with Holmgren and trails only Lombardi.

"Those are hard numbers to ignore," Philbin said. "You've got to give Mike a lot of credit for being steady. As we all know, we had some rough sailing in that first year he was here. He kept the ship steady."

The Packers stumbled to a 4-8 start in McCarthy's first season but since have posted the best regular-season record in the NFC and second-best in the NFL behind the New England Patriots.

But McCarthy knows success is ultimately counted in championships. He can live with that and isn't weighed down by the pressure to produce a Super Bowl title.

"I'll just say this, I enjoy my job, I love coming to work every day, regardless of what happened the day before," McCarthy said. "There's nothing like pulling into this stadium. Just the people that we work with, this is a great environment to work."

Lambeau, Lombardi and Holmgren wound up coaching elsewhere after successful stints with the Packers. From the sounds of it, McCarthy is willing to stay in Green Bay for the long haul, if the organization wants him.

"This is a community that I'm going to be a part of the rest of my life," McCarthy said. "My wife Jessica and I, we've made that commitment here, so that's where personally it's not helping my contract negotiations for the future, but I am very content. As long as the environment is the way it is, this is where I want to be."

That's good news for the Packers. And it makes Remmel's prediction not sound so far-fetched after all.

Best coach in Packers history??

I did like this comment about his contract there lol
UserPostedImage
Jacob
15 years ago
Hes definitely one of the top 5 coaches currently in the league in my book. hes very good at keeping the players in line, especially with their character.
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
I remember being mad they didn't hire Batea. LOL Don't judge me I remember quit a few others
mi_keys
15 years ago

I remember being mad they didn't hire Batea. LOL Don't judge me I remember quit a few others

"Cdnfavre+Rodgersfan" wrote:

I was among them. I don't think any of us were sold on McCarthy until those 4 straight wins at the end of the '06 season to get us to 8-8. That's why TT's the one making decisions though, and not us.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (6h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (9h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (11h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (13h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (23h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Around The NFL / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.