play2win
10 years ago
We lost the past two years mostly as a result of losing two very important players who have yet (pending this year's offseason additions) to be replaced: Nick Collins and Cullen Jenkins.

Two of the top players at their positions on D in the NFL. Equally adept pass rush and run stopping ability on the line, and Pro Bowl Safety range and play. Had we not lost both of these players, I think we would have repeated and won back to back SBs 2010 and 2011.

Our potent offense failed to compensate for our losses on D, compounding the situation with some unsuccessful game plans that forced this tired, undermanned D onto the field time and time again. We were so close, yet undermanned at a couple of important positions made very, very clear in some horrific losses throughout these past two seasons.

Add to this the loss to injury of other KEY players, either highly regarded starters or players acquired to replace key losses, and it is amazing how well we actually fared:

Bulaga
Sherrod
Perry
Bishop
Woodson
Jennings
Worthy
Finley
Neal

Some or all of these players missed significant time due to injury, or had their play/impact adversely affected in trying to come off of injury. Now, we get some of these players returning, and others added at key positions. I'm hopeful we can stay healthy, and turn this around.

Winning Championships is the true mark of success. It is time we won some more, and I think we will.
Porforis
10 years ago

2006 6 Johnny Jolly DT 2009
2006 7 Dave Tollefson DE 2012

2007 6 Korey Hall LB 2011
2007 6 Desmond Bishop LB 2012
2007 6 Mason Crosby K 2012

2007 7 DeShawn Wynn RB 2010
2007 7 Clark Harris TE 2012

2008 7 Matt Flynn QB 2012
2008 7 Brett Swain WR 2011

2009 6 Jarius Wynn DE 2012
2009 6 Brandon Underwood DB 2010
2009 7 Brad Jones LB 2012 0

2010 6 James Starks RB 2012
2010 7 C.J. Wilson DE 2012

2011 6 Caleb Schlauderaff OL 2012
2011 6 D.J. Smith LB 2012
2011 6 Ricky Elmore DL 2012
2011 7 Ryan Taylor TE 2012
2011 7 Lawrence Guy DT 2012

Very few of them stand out. For every Tauscher there are several Caleb Schlauderaff's.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Very different looking story if you don't include the ancient past. Let's look at the last 6 years (not including 2013 or 2012 since a single year in the leauge or zero years in the leauge isn't a great sample size).

How many teams do you see drafting 1-2 starting-quality players in the 6th and 7th round every year? Yes, in many cases we're trading away earlier-round picks for multiple late-round picks, but 2nd and 3rd rounders are hardly guaranteed talent.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Very different looking story if you don't include the ancient past. Let's look at the last 6 years (not including 2013 or 2012 since a single year in the leauge or zero years in the leauge isn't a great sample size).

How many teams do you see drafting 1-2 starting-quality players in the 6th and 7th round every year? Yes, in many cases we're trading away earlier-round picks for multiple late-round picks, but 2nd and 3rd rounders are hardly guaranteed talent.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

You can't count Bishop, Smith and Jones. They all play the same position. They cut Smith because he can't cut it in their system. Jones was thrust into service due to injuries. Crosby is a kicker for pete sakes. most kickers are UDFA. There is no guarantee of Flynn starting and he did not start for GB so there was no benefit to GB expect as a backup. Wilson started but that was only because they had no other options. I think most people would not have their feels hurt if he were cut this year. There is not going to be any clamor for retiring his number or putting him in the the Packer Hall. (Yes I am being sarcastic and facetious.) That he started is actually a testimony to the need to selecting better quality players and letting the 6th round picks be reserves on the team.

Out of the 19 player only Jolly, Bishop and Starks were true starters and Starks is a question mark at best. 3 out of 19 is 16%. I am sure if you go back and look at the 2nd-4th round picks the number is much higher. Even using your number of 8 that is 42%. The odds of finding a starter in the other rounds is still a whole lot greater.

I have no problem with drafting in the lower rounds but the truth is these players tend to be 2nd and 3rd sting fill in players. Certainly the cream will rise to the top and a few players go on to have solid careers. If you want impact players that can change a game don't look for them in the bottom of the barrel. For the most part they are at the top. You get what you pay for. Teddy likes to bargain shop and he gets a bunch of players that are not ready for prime time players. You won't find Clay Matthews very often in the 7th round.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
If the Packers traded their 1st rounder often to gain another 2nd and 3rd or 4th, I'd be okay with that type of deal. Packers recently (since Ted Thompson took over) seem to do really well between rounds 2 and 4.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
Lets look at the NFL as a whole ... and really where players come from. Below.. they look at the "top 20" players from each draft.

After the first round.. I would say it is pretty balanced through the middle of each draft.. almost up to the 6th and 7th round.

So it really is just putting more bullets in the gun after the first round. For reference.. 50% of 2nd rounders are hits.. so if you only have a 50% chance of grabbing an impact player in the second round.. why not increase the odds like he did this year to slide back and add picks later that will in turn increase the impact of your second round pick?

Image source.. 

Second Round #'s Source..  
 NFL Players by Round.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
10 years ago
More fodder..

But the NFL (which continues its draft today) does seem *particularly* bad predicting future stars. A new football draft study  from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute found there has historically been more value among second-round picks than first-rounders. "The analysis of the past 13 seasons shows that second-rounders provide 70 percent of the production of first-round picks but at just 40 percent of the salary," ESPN reported.

To add some anecdotal color, when you look at today's best football players, their draft positions are utterly random. Look at the best quarterbacks. Peyton Manning was a first overall pick, while Aaron Rodgers was a late first-rounder, Drew Brees was the 32nd pick, and Tom Brady was famously a 6th rounder. Or consider the best running backs. Adrian Peterson was the top-rated in his class, but Arian Foster ranked 24th, and breakout star Alfred Morris wasn't drafted until the 6th round.

TheAtlantic  wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"

Lets look at the NFL as a whole ... and really where players come from. Below.. they look at the "top 20" players from each draft.

After the first round.. I would say it is pretty balanced through the middle of each draft.. almost up to the 6th and 7th round.

So it really is just putting more bullets in the gun after the first round. For reference.. 50% of 2nd rounders are hits.. so if you only have a 50% chance of grabbing an impact player in the second round.. why not increase the odds like he did this year to slide back and add picks later that will in turn increase the impact of your second round pick?

Image source.. 

Second Round #'s Source..  

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

your chart proves my point. The 6th and 7th rounds are almost devoid of starters. As you mention I don't mind trading back from a low first round pick to getting a couple of 2nd round picks. But to trade back and get a 2nd round pick and get 3 6/7 round picks is a waste.

I also don't have a problem with rounds 3-5 either. There are more misses than hits but it is still a lot better than 6/7 rounds.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago

your chart proves my point. The 6th and 7th rounds are almost devoid of starters. As you mention I don't mind trading back from a low first round pick to getting a couple of 2nd round picks. But to trade back and get a 2nd round pick and get 3 6/7 round picks is a waste.

I also don't have a problem with rounds 3-5 either. There are more misses than hits but it is still a lot better than 6/7 rounds.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

But Ted didn't slide out of the 2nd round.. he just slide down. Grabbing extra picks.. so he got the best value he could from those picks.. he still picked a second round talent and grabbed extra ammo, some of which was used to move up in later rounds.

To me.. this draft this year.. had a ton of value in the middle of it.. there are some drafts that just don't look that way. Hell.. there are some drafts, 2005 comes to mind, in which the entire draft looks weak.

Personally, again, I don't think it is a talent issue up and down this roster.. I believe our philosophies got out of whack at times and it has had more impact than the question of where we acquired talent.

Yearly we see our roster cuts get snapped up elsewhere.. sometimes very quickly. Our scouting department yearly shines in my opinion.. our coaching, or to be more specific, individual coaching aspects is our core weakness which has prevented us from hoisting more than one Lombardi over Rodgers era.

Personally, less talking about becoming a more physical team and more doing MM. Start with busting our offensive line coach in the chops.. wait, maybe the whole line shift was a kick in the ass to Campen. Then MM... look in the freaking mirror and grow a set of running balls. lol.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

But Ted didn't slide out of the 2nd round.. he just slide down. Grabbing extra picks.. so he got the best value he could from those picks.. he still picked a second round talent and grabbed extra ammo, some of which was used to move up in later rounds.

To me.. this draft this year.. had a ton of value in the middle of it.. there are some drafts that just don't look that way. Hell.. there are some drafts, 2005 comes to mind, in which the entire draft looks weak.

Personally, again, I don't think it is a talent issue up and down this roster.. I believe our philosophies got out of whack at times and it has had more impact than the question of where we acquired talent.

Yearly we see our roster cuts get snapped up elsewhere.. sometimes very quickly. Our scouting department yearly shines in my opinion.. our coaching, or to be more specific, individual coaching aspects is our core weakness which has prevented us from hoisting more than one Lombardi over Rodgers era.

Personally, less talking about becoming a more physical team and more doing MM. Start with busting our offensive line coach in the chops.. wait, maybe the whole line shift was a kick in the ass to Campen. Then MM... look in the freaking mirror and grow a set of running balls. lol.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I was not speaking specifically about this year's draft. I was talking about Ted's overall draft persona is to move down. He usually ends up with a ton of 6/7 round picks. I am not saying he does a bad job. I am not saying they don't have a good scout system. Heck if you think about it there were "experts" who questioned whether or not CM3 would be a mid round draft pick and why move up to get him. They knew. They could do the same thing other times as well in other years. Either they choose not to or the other teams are asking too much to make it work. We don't know. One more thing. Before someone says I am saying this- They can't move up every single year. Sometimes they can move up and sometimes they can move down. Ted tends to move down a whole lot more than he moves up. He accumulates players who can't make this team and who are picked up elsewhere. Instead of getting 50 players who can't make the team I am saying get 3 who can make a huge difference. (EXAGGERATION PEOPLE)
UserPostedImage
warhawk
10 years ago
Unfortunately the math doesn't work when it comes to putting a good team together. No team can afford really good 1st thru 3rd round players to fill out a 53 man roster.
Nor can a GM pull off drafting that many low round picks anyhow. Let's say Ted finds a way to draft 4 players in the first three rounds over 5 years.

That's 20 players and no way they are all going to turn out to be quality core type starters. How could Ted ditch the last few rounds of the draft, load up on the first three or four rounds, pay the best players we have to keep them around, AND, stay under the cap?

I would rather draft and develop young players with potential than bring in 3r or 4th year guys that haven't shown enough potential to stick around with the team they were on. Fifty three players have to come from somewhere.

"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.