Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 3:34:29 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
On 4th and 8, with the game already won and only 2 minutes left on the clock, the Cows went for it. Instead of doing some pussy 8 yard pass, they threw to TO in the end zone.

Told you all so. They play AGGRESSIVELY, which is something we need to be doing. We're not. We're way too conservative.

I got bitched at by the entire board for saying Bigby did the right thing by trying to run an INT back.

It is a MIND SET. I don't know why that is so hard to understand. A MIND SET. You play to WIN, not play not to lose. You play aggressively at all times. You play until the clock goes to zero.

You play to either score, or put yourself into a position to score. On every punt return, you consider a route to get into the end zone. On every kickoff return, you consider a route to get into the end zone. On every interception return, you consider a route to get into the end zone.

You want to send the other team to their locker room demoralized. You want to break them. You want to get into their heads.

The Cows kept on hammering away at us. They went for it on 4th and 8. They threw the ball on 3rd down instead of playing conservative, playing not to lose.

You play to win, at all times. You play to humiliate your opponent. You play with aggression. You do not let up. You do not go easy on them. You do not avoid taking chances. You do not play not to lose.

This is football. It is not soccer. It is a game of legalized war. You hammer away at your opponents until the game ends.

It is that mindset that wins games.

Psychology is a HUGE part of sports. Huge.

We have become soft. It is not acceptable. Mike McCarthy needs to get his edge back. Had it last year, doesn't seem to have it this year.
Offline 4PackGirl  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 3:40:10 PM(UTC)

Applause Given2: 170
Applause Received: 125
i didn't "bitch" at you - you stated your opinion on the bigby deal & so did i as well as several other posters. kinda rude to say i was "bitching".

now having said that, i felt that the 2nd half we were WAY too laid back. i felt the playcalling was less than stellar especially in the 4th. i remember thinking "i guess we're just content to score FG's today & not get it into the end zone". so on this point, we certainly agree zombie. i still don't see how you compare the whole bigby deal to an entire game but...
Offline zombieslayer  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 3:51:19 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
4Pack - we got soft. I'm really disappointed in Mike McCarthy this year. I thought he was a top tier Coach last year. This year, he's mediocre.

I just don't know what happened. Why did he all of a sudden become soft?
Offline 4PackGirl  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 3:55:15 PM(UTC)

understood, zombie. i don't know what happened either. Mike McCarthy needs to run the HELL outta our guys - as someone else said, we apparently have some conditioning problems. the D was out there all freakin day but the O?? come ON - they were suckin air BIG time. i HATE HATE HATE HATE when time is tickin off the clock & we're doin nothing but little dump passes right down the middle. arrrrgh!!!
Offline Since69  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 3:58:34 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83
That pass was just Romo trying to get his <sniff, sniff> friend a touchdown.

But I agree with the rest of your post - a killer instinct is a huge advantage. Grab your opponent by the throat and don't let go until he stops kicking.

Run up the score. Embarrass your opponents. Who cares?

Karma is not real.
Intimidation is.
Offline walleye  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 3:58:58 PM(UTC)

" said: Go to Quoted Post
4Pack - we got soft. I'm really disappointed in Mike McCarthy this year. I thought he was a top tier Coach last year. This year, he's mediocre.

Yes we did get REALLY soft! :magnifyglass:
Offline 4PackGirl  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 4:06:20 PM(UTC)

my my my...the replies i could think up for that one, walleye!!! :signarg:
Offline walleye  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 4:12:46 PM(UTC)

my my my...the replies i could think up for that one, walleye!!! :signarg:

I left that one open Go for it. :blackeye:
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 4:12:47 PM(UTC)

I'll agree w/ you on defense. I didn't see the commitment to pressuring Romo that I wanted to see. We've got the personnel to blitz and blitz often, and that needs to happen.

On offense, at least in terms of this game, I really think losing JJ early in the game (and not having Ruvel as an option) was a problem. We didn't have the tools to attack the Cows' secondary like we should have.

That's not an excuse, mind you -- great teams rise above injuries, and we did not. But I do think it affected our gameplan.
Offline WhiskeySam  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 4:26:46 PM(UTC)

Applause Received: 1
On 4th and 8, with the game already won and only 2 minutes left on the clock, the Cows went for it. Instead of doing some pussy 8 yard pass, they threw to TO in the end zone.

Told you all so. They play AGGRESSIVELY, which is something we need to be doing. We're not. We're way too conservative.

I got bitched at by the entire board for saying Bigby did the right thing by trying to run an INT back.

It is a MIND SET. I don't know why that is so hard to understand. A MIND SET. You play to WIN, not play not to lose. You play aggressively at all times. You play until the clock goes to zero.

You play to either score, or put yourself into a position to score. On every punt return, you consider a route to get into the end zone. On every kickoff return, you consider a route to get into the end zone. On every interception return, you consider a route to get into the end zone.

You want to send the other team to their locker room demoralized. You want to break them. You want to get into their heads.

The Cows kept on hammering away at us. They went for it on 4th and 8. They threw the ball on 3rd down instead of playing conservative, playing not to lose.

You play to win, at all times. You play to humiliate your opponent. You play with aggression. You do not let up. You do not go easy on them. You do not avoid taking chances. You do not play not to lose.

This is football. It is not soccer. It is a game of legalized war. You hammer away at your opponents until the game ends.

It is that mindset that wins games.

Psychology is a HUGE part of sports. Huge.

We have become soft. It is not acceptable. Mike McCarthy needs to get his edge back. Had it last year, doesn't seem to have it this year.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the mindset of looking to score. I'm not a Ravens fan, but I'm a huge Ed Reed fan because when gets the ball, he's not looking to fall down, he's looking to score a TD off the turnover.

On McCarthy, I don't see much different than last year. There were several games last year (the Bears games in particular) where he just went into a shell and seemed to be more concerned with the point spread than winning.
Rss Feed