dingus
15 years ago
Update on National Football Post

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/09/harris-hopes-to-return-in-2008/ 

Harris Hopes To Return In 2008

Although a splenetic injury has to be taken very seriously, Al Harris is determined to play this season and there is new hope of Al returning in several weeks.

However, the training and medical staff of the Packers are approaching this injury with extreme diligence and caution. They are going the extra mile, as they usually do, to make sure that they have all the relevant information needed to help Al make the appropriate decisions and more importantly, to make sure he does not jeopardize his long term health.

As of today, this is what I know:

1. Al has suffered a laceration of the spleen on the collision he had with AJ Hawk.

2. The CT scan did show some damage and bleeding.

3. Al is currently in the process of getting a 3rd and 4th opinion by two prominent surgeons.

4. As of today, the time line is that Al will be re-evaluated and scanned again in a few weeks.

If there are no additional concerns from the new opinions, which I hope to receive in the next 48 hours, then Al can start non-impact workouts such as elliptical or pool work in one weeks time. Only until the future CT scans show that there has been significant healing, may Al be released to start light football activities and practice. Therefore, the good news is that Al may return this year and that this is not a life and death situation. No definitive return date has been set, but knowing Al like I do, he will heal fast and do everything in his power to get back on the field. As more information comes in from the additional opinions I will keep you updated here at The National Football Post (nfpost.com).

On a side note, Al has only missed one other football game in his whole HS, College and Pro career. He suffered a high ankle sprain in college and missed just 1 game. In addition, he is so determined to play that he has already asked one Doctor on Monday to remove his Spleen so he can play against Tampa this weekend. The Doc obviously made it clear that was not a good idea and the recovery time would be several weeks. The Cowboys game marked the 175th straight NFL appearance for Al Harris, an amazing run for such a physical player. This is a player who has told me he wants a Darrell Green-type career and continues to do all the little things 24/7 to make this goal a reality. Therefore, I would not count Al out for this season.

Once again, I will report any additional findings once Al completes his additional opinion search.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
I would hope that he gets plenty of time to heal, and if that can happen without surgery, yay.
UserPostedImage
bigfog
15 years ago
3rd and 4th opinion?

No one can ever question Al's commitment, but he may have to sit the rest of this year. It's not looking good, and a spleen issue is a big deal
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
bozz_2006
15 years ago
well i think the question is about the severity of the injury. a ruptured spleen is general. did it explode? is it just a small tear? Will it heal on its own? Is it FUBAR?
UserPostedImage
dingus
15 years ago
Al might blow a play here and there but I'm damn glad someone as committed to the Packers and Football as he is is on our team.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

My god Harris is one bad-ass dude. The fact that he a doctor to remove the spleen so he could play against tampa is so awesome. Just shows you how committed and tough he is. The 3rd and 4th opinions are just to confirm what they already know and to see if they find anything that could be worse. It doesn't sound like Merriman's case of finding a doctor who says you can play. I'm hoping we get him back by week 10 or 11. We need his intensity.

"btimpaler" wrote:

I'm not sure what your comment was. I think ya missed a few words. Not sure.

More on Harris:
By Tom Silverstein
Wednesday, Sep 24 2008, 03:51 PM

Green Bay -- According to Al Harris' agent, the Packers cornerback asked one doctor to remove his spleen so that he could play this week against Tampa Bay.

Of course, the request was rejected, but in an update Jack Bechta gave on the National Football Post, a football web site of which he is one of the founders, Bechta said Harris really wants to play again this season. If further tests show only a laceration, doctors will perform a CT scan in a couple of weeks to see how he is healing and then determine a timeline for his recovery.

Bechta said test results will be known in the next 48 hours.

UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I want Harris to get better. NUMBER ONE priority is his health. Although he is very valuable to the team, being determined to play can get in the way of his well being. If doctors are telling him no, then it means NO.
NodakPaul
15 years ago

I want Harris to get better. NUMBER ONE priority is his health. Although he is very valuable to the team, being determined to play can get in the way of his well being. If doctors are telling him no, then it means NO.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Correct. I don't care what team someone is on, or if it is a rookie or the MVP - risking ones health is NOT worth it. We aren't talking about a torn ACL or something like that. If his spleen ruptures he could die. Literally.

He needs to listen to the first two opinions he got. And when the third and forth opinions come back with the same result, he needs to listen to them to. A splenetic injury is not something to gamble with.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

A splenetic injury is not something to gamble with.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Unless of course you bet the over on Packers' total wins this year. (Kidding. Don't get your panties in a knot.)

Something that hasn't been discussed is TT's role in this decision. From the sound of it, Al wants to play this year, but he would truly be on a week by week basis - meaning he couldn't be placed on IR. If Al wants to play, but the doctors say 8 weeks is best case scenario, but there's a significant chance he can't return at all, Ted Thompson has to decide whether or not he's willing to "waste" a roster spot waiting for Al to heal up.

Obviously, we can't say what the right decision would be without knowing the severity of the injury or the percentage chance of return, but that will end up being TT's call regardless of Al's desires.
blank
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
Its hard to see anyone get hurt, my prayers go out to Harris and hope he is back on the field soon.
Heathiee
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.