Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages<12

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Formo  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:42:50 PM(UTC)
Finally. Ya know, I've always felt bad for Lions fans. And, even though I dislike the team, I hated Millen. Alot. Here's to hoping he's flipping burgers at Mickey D's for the rest of his 'resignment'.

" said: Go to Quoted Post
Combined the threads and renamed it so that we don't have an new thread added.

Maybe the Vikes will hire Millen to join their triangle of authority.. or whatever the heck they coined it. :lol:

You take that blasphemy back, and you take it back, now!!! lol
Cheesey  
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:27:00 AM(UTC)
Finally. Ya know, I've always felt bad for Lions fans. And, even though I dislike the team, I hated Millen. Alot. Here's to hoping he's flipping burgers at Mickey D's for the rest of his 'resignment'.

Maybe the Vikes will hire Millen to join their triangle of authority.. or whatever the heck they coined it. :lol:

Millen at his new job:

Matt: Sir, would you like a Whopper with or without cheese?
McD's MNGR: Matt, HOW many times do i have to TELL you....this is McDonald's! We don't have "Whoppers" here, we have Big Macs!!!
Matt: Oh....sorry boss! I won't make that mistake again!........sir, would you like one or two ArbyQ sandwiches?
McD's MNGR: MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yooperfan  
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:39:16 AM(UTC)
My youngest son was at the Packers/Lions game and he said the crowd was chanting, "fire Matt Millen", through the whole game.
This type of fan demonstration has gone on for the last 2 or 3 years and was falling on deaf ears.
Lions fans have to be greatful that Bill Ford Jr. finally told the world where the bear shits in the buckwheat to finally force the issue.
Pack93z  
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:42:59 AM(UTC)

Approximately $55 Million for 7 years of destroying a franchise's hope yearly.. I even feel worse for the fans of the Lions.

No flippin burgers for Matty boy.. 55 million.. really.. :lol:
Greg C.  
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:19:28 PM(UTC)
I live in Michigan, and I've always felt bad for Lions fans, because I don't hate the Lions. I would like to see a good NFL team in Detroit. For one thing, think how nice it would be to have TWO relevant teams playing on Thanksgiving (Lions and Cowboys).

I thought Millen was a bad hire right from day one. He needed some front office experience first. Now that he's finally gone, it's hard to have confidence in the Fords to hire a competent successor. This article by Mitch Albom sums up the situation very well:

http://www.freep.com/app.../20080924/COL01/80924129

And if you want a very brief summary of what made Millen so bad, here's an excerpt from Nicholas J. Cotsonika's article, which is also in today's Detroit Free Press:

Talent seduced Millen, maybe because, at least in the beginning, Millen assumed players had character because he had character. I remember once asking him about work ethic, and he said, "I think all guys are like that." I remember thinking, "But they aren't." It's like an honest man innocently assuming other people are honest, too, because they don't know any different.

Millen eventually figured that out. With Marinelli, he tried to get back to "football character." Marinelli talked about the "non-talented issues." But then the Lions looked up and they had too many non-talented players. In short, under Millen, the Lions had too many talented players with not enough character and too many character players with not enough talent.
TheKanataThrilla  
#26 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:00:53 PM(UTC)
I have a hard time with this. Even though Millen should really get the blame for a lot of this, it is not like he went off the board with many of his draft picks, and did make some signings that should have improved the team. I think there just must be a horrible losing culture in that dressing room. A lot of talent is being selected by the Lions, but for whatever reason they never live up to expectations.
Cheesey  
#27 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:27:13 PM(UTC)

Approximately $55 Million for 7 years of destroying a franchise's hope yearly.. I even feel worse for the fans of the Lions.

No flippin burgers for Matty boy.. 55 million.. really.. :lol:

Well......if he made financial choices like he made draft choices for the Lions, he probably only has $1.57 left of that 55 million!!!LOLOLOL!!!
Greg C.  
#28 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:53:44 PM(UTC)
I have a hard time with this. Even though Millen should really get the blame for a lot of this, it is not like he went off the board with many of his draft picks, and did make some signings that should have improved the team. I think there just must be a horrible losing culture in that dressing room. A lot of talent is being selected by the Lions, but for whatever reason they never live up to expectations.

How can you not blame Millen for all of this? He was there for seven years, and he was the man in charge of football operations. It takes talent to turn a losing culture around, and Millen did not acquire enough talent, plus he paid little attention to team chemistry.

Too much is made of Millen's high first round picks that did not pan out. Personally, I thought Joey Harrington was a good pick at the time. Charles Rodgers, maybe. Mike Williams, not at all. But the real problem was that Millen drafted poorly in rounds 2-7. You have to find some diamonds in the rough, which is something our own GM's have been able to do in the past couple decades. But it is very hard to think of any impact players on the Lions that were drafted later than the first round.
Rss Feed